News 7 Disappointing Sequels to FPS Games | Gggmanlives

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018

Yeah, I admit. I'm a Sunny Jim and a sucker for FPS. So, this video is right up my alley.

List of games:

Wolfenstein II The New Colossus
Blood II: The Chosen
Medal of Honor Warfighter
Serious Sam 2
Unreal II: The Awakening
Call of Juarez: The Cartel
Duke Nukem Forever

Last edited:

KainXVIII

DOS forever!
Dec 19, 2018
While i aprove Blood II: The Chosen and Unreal II: The Awakening as utter disappointment, but original Call of Juarez was not that good so nothing disappointing in sequel (for me)
PS - and DNF was serviceable 😎

Reactions: lashman

Eriugam

Premium Title
Nov 6, 2018
United Kingdom
From my memory I found Call of Duty Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Medal of Honour (reboot), its sequel, Metro 2034 and a few others to be disappointing.

Teggy

Patiently waiting for Wet 2
Dec 2, 2018
I’ll have to watch the video but my first thought was FEAR 2 (and 3) but it’s not on there. Resistance 2 (moreso 3 ) were also fairly big letdowns when they got rid of what made the first game unique.

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
While I still liked Wolfenstein II The New Colossus, I agree that it was disappointing compared to the first game and even Old Blood. The boring DLCs with the other characters didn't really help it either.

Reactions: Spamlynguist

Spamlynguist

I can never decide on an avatar
Dec 31, 2018
While I still liked Wolfenstein II The New Colossus, I agree that it was disappointing compared to the first game and even Old Blood. The boring DLCs with the other characters didn't really help it either.
Yeah I agree with that as well. I had a great time with Wolfenstein II but I didn't feel as good as The New Order and The Old Blood.

I haven't picked up the DLCs because they didn't look great and didn't have the greatest of reviews. A shame really.

Reactions: Milena and lashman

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
Never played any of the Unreal games (I did play UT, it's awesome). Do they hold up nowadays?

I’ll have to watch the video but my first thought was FEAR 2 (and 3) but it’s not on there. Resistance 2 (moreso 3 ) were also fairly big letdowns when they got rid of what made the first game unique.
I liked F.E.A.R. 2 a lot, but I agree with 3. It was terrible.

And I consider Gunslinger to be one of the greatest FPS games ever.
I should play that one. Started the original a few years ago but never finished it, so I didn't play the sequels.

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
I really enjoyed Wolfenstein II. It may not have been as good as the first game in some aspects but I definitely wouldn't call it a disappointment. Especially not to be on the list of the seven most disappointing sequels. I thought some of his complaints were ridiculous. Cutscenes are nearly always between long levels of plenty of shooting so acting like it has more cutscenes than shooting is just lying.

Does Deux Ex: Invisible War not count because people don't consider Deus Ex an FPS and more of a first person role playing game of sorts?

How about Perfect Dark Zero?

I've owned Serious Sam 2 for a really long time and I had no idea it was as insane as what he showed. What he showed made me want to play it.

Gray

Dec 31, 2018
I should play that one. Started the original a few years ago but never finished it, so I didn't play the sequels.
Gunslinger is not really a sequel. It uses the Call of Juarez name but it's not related to any of the characters or events in the previous titles. It's a stand alone western tale, and a lot of fun to play.

Reactions: lashman and RionaaM

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
I wish I could've gotten Gunslinger sooner...

Also Blood II looks quite nice actually. Most Lithtech games hold up surprisingly well.

Serious Sam 2 was just Second Encounter. I can understand why they went the "adult cartoon" route, people what to freshen up and try out new ideas.

I don't have many "disappointments" in Gaming general, but I'll say that Advanced Warfare's campaign was very forgettable when other CoD games were at least fun in places (haven't played Ghosts)

Spamlynguist

Dec 31, 2018
I wish I could've gotten Gunslinger sooner...

Also Blood II looks quite nice actually. Most Lithtech games hold up surprisingly well.

Serious Sam 2 was just Second Encounter. I can understand why they went the "adult cartoon" route, people what to freshen up and try out new ideas.

I don't have many "disappointments" in Gaming general, but I'll say that Advanced Warfare's campaign was very forgettable when other CoD games were at least fun in places (haven't played Ghosts)
You can get Gunslinger on Steam again, it was only briefly removed from Steam last year. Don't know about PSN and Xbox Live though.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
Sounds fine, I'll play Unreal and Gunslinger then. Oh, and Blood too. That's a lof of FPS goodness, lol. Plus the Deus Ex sequels (only played the first one, and I want to replay it too), and maybe Fallout New Vegas if I ever feel like it.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
You can get Gunslinger on Steam again, it was only briefly removed from Steam last year. Don't know about PSN and Xbox Live though.
No actually after Techland bought back Call of Juarez license, they put the game back and inflated the price of the game (~Rs. 980) from what Ubisoft put (~Rs. 600) which itself was inflated from its former price (<Rs. 300).

I'm just... really sad about it...

Spamlynguist

Dec 31, 2018
No actually after Techland bought back Call of Juarez license, they put the game back and inflated the price of the game (~Rs. 980) from what Ubisoft put (~Rs. 600) which itself was inflated from its former price (<Rs. 300).

I'm just... really sad about it...
Ah I get it now, that sucks.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
I approve of this list. I liked bits of Wolf 2, but I don't think it was very fun to play. I think Call of Juarez counts as a series with some excellent entries before The Cartel stinked up the place. Unreal 2 also had that very excellent XMP (but that was kind of a separate thing, eventually).

I think we can dredge up some even worse offenders, though.

SaviourMK2

A Kamen Rider just passing through
Jan 1, 2019
I was one of the few not disappointing in Ghosts (But i'm also a pleeb who plays story mode in call of duty). Course now it fails because they're never going to address that after credit ending. Blops 3 for me was the most disappointing sequel to exist, right after Halo 5.

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
It does seem that the video is looking at second games in a series when discussing sequels. So I'm not sure Call of Duty Ghosts or Advanced Warfare would count in the same sense. But reboots and I suppose sub-series count so Modern Warfare 2 or Black Ops 2 would be considered?

And I remember the one I meant to post earlier: Shadow Warrior 2. It seems most people didn't think the sequel was as good as they hoped and most people really didn't like the direction they went with it.