News AI and Games: The Secrets of GoldenEye's AI Revealed

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Nice informative video to reminisce the fun over.
GoldenEye 007 is one of the most critically acclaimed games of all time, but how did they even get it to work on a Nintendo 64? In this episode I reveal the secrets of how a small team at Rare built the ultimate James Bond experience, with friendly and enemy AI that defined a generation and set the standard for FPS games moving forward. With help from Dr David Doak - who was the level and AI designer at Rare during development of the game.

Aelphaeis Mangarae

MetaMember
Apr 21, 2019
I'd just like to remind people that GoldenEye 25 is a fan remake of GoldenEye aiming for 2022 release date. While it incorporates the design improvements of Perfect Dark, such as AI resorting to melee attacks when the player gets too close, the foundation of the AI is modeled directly on GoldenEye's rather timeless ideas of how to create AI that responds like humans. They hear sounds. They investigate them. They see the player and instead of activating twitch shoot murder mode, they line up shots, dodge, duck and roll, etc. The way sound travels is convincing and played a pivotal role in the development of the stealth genre and the spy genre.

I recommend following the twitter account. They regularly post progress updates, such as this most recent one. (Please bear in mind this game is 3 years away from release.) They're blending elements of the film and game together. For example, the soundtrack is heavily inspired by the film version more than Kirkhope's game version. The environments in the game were already based on the film sets, but the game hews even closer to the film as seen with this Frigate creation where, mimicking the film, Bond boards from the shore instead of arriving on a speedboat.

And this is rather nice: