Discussion Any gaming goals for 2020 ?

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
With the overabundance of game releases, of extremely high quality in general, maybe we should come up with a plan. Because games are serious business. Or maybe we shouldn't and I'm padding this fucking OT.
Err, anyways, do you have goals for 2020, gaming wise ? I'm not talking about quantity, as it already has its own annual thread, but more about specifics. Wanting to finally play this game or this franchise, things like that.

Me ? It's good that you ask because I haven't thought too much about it, yet. Isn't that how you do an OT on the Internet anyways ? Asking stupid questions that you could have kept for yourselves ? Please disregard my self deprecating jokes. Answer. Now.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
My gaming goal for 2020 would be to stop playing these F2P card games which make use of hidden tricks to retain players' attention.

Reactions: Li Kao

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I hope to get around to tackling the Witcher 3 and AC Odyssey dlc's. Been also thinking about possibly dipping into some emulation, never played Xenogears or Chrono Cross for example, clearing some of that old old backlog essentially.

Beyond that I've been building a tentative list if some specific games.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Is Cyberpunk 2077 due in 2020? if so, then that.
Otherwise i'll be making a bigger commitment to my "Library" by playing more and buying less. :minos_dealwith:

I really NEED to get hooked up with a casual friendly FC in FFXIV so i can become a great White Mage/Black Mage/Summoner.

Use the Ring Fit Adventure i bought a few days ago as a regular excercise top-up to the Yoga i'm going to start doing... again.

Finish Death Stranding.
Learn to play Command: Modern Operations.
Learn to fly some of the helichoppers i have in DCS.
Make a Story in Hypnospace Outlaw.
Read more VNs, play more FMV games.

Donate to MC so i can have a place to avoid all the pre-New-Gen console launch bickering and the post New-Gen console launch bickering.

Reactions: Li Kao

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
- Stop wasting time with Destiny 2 and the endless grinding so can have more left for other games. And I will.... soon ... I think :p

- Have the "courage" to spend a lot of money and get a VR headset (probably the Quest). But it is soooooooooooo expensive over here.

Reactions: lashman

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I can think of a few.
The obvious one would be getting Digimon Survive. I'm not sure if I'm big on TRPGs but I'm a Digimon fanboy so that should at least cancel each other out :p

The others are a bit more vague:
I want to finally get another Atelier game (or I'll never "catch up", lol). I'd like to get Firis since I started with Sophie and that one is the sequel, but it might be cheaper to get the Arland triple pack or one of the others.

I also want to get one of the "bigger" VNs on my to-read list, potentially the Muv-Luv series.

We'll see.

I've also ordered a 1440p/144Hz Freesync monitor which should arrive early next year and I'm super excited.

Reactions: Ge0force

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
1. Finish Pathologic 2
2. Finish Witcher 3
3. Finalize specs for a new pc based on what the ps5/xsx are using and buy some of the parts.
4. Get on with my little programming ventures in unity/unreal

Reactions: lashman

Deleted member 113

My gaming goal: minimize the amount of money I spend on games. :giggle:

I have 10k+ games in my library on Steam (I'm not even counting the sealed games I have for older consoles), with plenty of games I want to play, but I never do, because I end up playing something I bought in the meantime. It's time I start playing those.
Especially since I find myself with less and less time (and sometimes patience) to play games. And, my financial situation for 2020 will be quite different from 2019, so it makes sense to save my money for other things.

I surely spent a very significant amount of € in games yet again this year, and ended up playing only a very small portion of it.

For 2020, I'll buy DLCs for games I already own, I'll surely buy a handful of games I'm looking forward to (like Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines 2, Cyberpunk 2077, Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection, Dark Nights with Poe and Munro, ...), but outside of that, I'll probably get a few months of the Humble Monthly (and hopefully I'll manage to sell some of the games, to balance things), and I'll try to buy not much more.
Surely not the dozens of games I bought each month.

I'm the guy that usually buys many indie games on day one (instead of waiting for discounts or bundles), but if this year (and the end of 2018) has taught me anything is that for many of these indie developers, support is a one-way street.
And since I'm turning into an old fart, with not much patience to deal with many of the crap some of these developers have been pulling (like when developers like Supergiant Games, Klei Entertainment, and Julian Gollop's Snapshot Games act like they're doing me a big favour by allowing me to buy their games a year later, or companies like Koei Tecmo can't be bothered to put some effort in their PC ports, but still nickel-and-dime people with a ridiculous amount of DLCs, for example), my willingness to support their "dickery" is non-existent.

Clearly, the games industry has changed, and I'm no longer the target audience.
I don't play F2P games, mobile games, and crap like Fortnite and Dota. I'm not willing to spend the amount of money that a decent VR solution costs, so it seems I'm a non-factor for some companies as well (like Valve).
It seems I'm a dying breed. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes: I'm mostly a single-player gamer. I like arcade games (like shmups and beat'em ups), and FMV games, and point and click adventure gamers, and dungeon crawlers.

So yeah: not spending so much money on games. That's my main resolution.

Secondary resolution: try to show up more frequently for co-op sessions with BlindRhythm, Li Kao, Echoes, EdwardTivrusky, and the rest of the Meta co-op gang. :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
My gaming goal: minimize the amount of money I spend on games. :giggle:

Sorry but that was my first thought when i read that line. Good luck to ya!
I have the same goal and yet i still have a list in a notepad document of things to pick up in the sale as i haven't bought anything. There again i spent £60 in the last sale so... 😬 ... yeah.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
This year I already finished one DQ game, next year I plan to finish another one.

My goal for next year is to beat more of the DS JRPG games that I bought for DS back in 2017. I think DQV will be the next one that I play, hopefully I can find a decently priced complete in box copy.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

Spamlynguist

I can never decide on an avatar
Dec 31, 2018
On the top of my head:

• Play through the whole Yakuza series (0-6)
  • Play through the whole Mass Effect series (1-3, Andromeda if I'm really bored)
  • Play through the whole Witcher series (1-3)
  • Play through the original 3 Resident Evil games
  • Finish Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
A little ambitious but if I finish at least a portion of them I would be content.

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
Secondary resolution: try to show up more frequently for co-op sessions with BlindRhythm, Li Kao, Echoes, EdwardTivrusky, and the rest of the Meta co-op gang. :giggle:
More co op!

As for me, well.. I'm sorry Li Kao, but this is probably going to turn into a quantity post. :crying-face:

Ultimately I would hope not much changes for me in 2020 with regards to my gaming habit.. I mean, it's been the same for a while now, buy way too many games and plan to play through as many as possible while in reality only getting through a handful.

Of course I suppose that's not entirely true, there was a big change for me this year and that was starting the co-op thread. From our Friday events to playing stuff with the co-op crew outside of those events, it's been so nice being able to share great co-op games with friends. I think around a third of my finished games list for this year comes from playing with folks. :highfiveblob:

The bad news is that 2020 is going to bring about an even bigger change and one I"m not entirely sure how it will affect my playing time. If all goes well I'm going to be moving in May, meaning I'll be without internet for a short while. It also means that I'll be getting a job that most likely won't allow me to set my own hours. So I might inadvertently let down everyone in the co-op thread from time to time as I try to figure out what my schedule will be. Sorry everyone.. I'll try my best to not miss much.

Once things (hopefully) settle down though? You can bet on more games getting added to the backlog and more time spent with my co-op pals. :blobhug:

And maybe I"ll finally try to put a dent in some of the dozens upon dozens of JRPG's that are filling up my backlog. Why must so many of you take so many hours to complete?! :cryingwhyblob:

Sygmaelle

MetaMember
Sep 8, 2019
only play a handful of games so i can save up for a 4k hdr tv and a ps5

i dont think ill play most of the releases this year outside of Ori, Doom and a hard maybe on Cyberpunk

edit : im dumb, also tlou 2 and tsushima

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
I set goals using Google Sheets to track things. This is my 2020 goals set so far:

MonthGames I must completeQuarterly
JanuaryMass Effect: Andromeda (Origin month?)Yakuza 3
FebruarySonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Collection
MarchShantae series
AprilWitcher 3 DLCYakuza 4
MayRayman Origins + Rayman Legends
JuneShadow of the Tomb Raider
JulyCrossCodeYakuza 5
AugustAssassins Creed Something?
SeptemberBioshock 2
OctoberSleeping DogsYakuza 6
NovemberAgents of Mayhem
DecemberDark Souls

The order of the months is still subject to change, and I'll probably get a little more exact or change something down the road. I specifically pick games that I started in some fashion and bounced off of despite enjoying what I played. I did this last year as well.

The quarterly Yakuza goals I haven't started, but I did 0-2 in 2019 at a fairly similar pace so it seems like a good goal to get through them.

I have some others I'm toying with (Dragon Age series, Kingdom Hearts series) but I haven't really finalized any others since those are big time commitments.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I'd like to play the 17+ games I bought in 2019 that I never even installed.

Sorry, I know that's contravenes the OP as it mentions quantity... But that's it really. The backlog is huge, and only grows each year.

I'll try again... I'd like to finish Greedfall. I got caught up in the launch hype and bought it at release, and then only ever got to the beginning of the non-tutorial area and lost interest.

OP
Li Kao

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I replayed Jedi Knight Academy recently, because I wanted to know how it holds up against Fallen Order. Spoilers: It does, but many things didn't age well like some of the level design but it is still a very good game!
That and the GOTY threads by Bonfires Down made me decide to replay more old games this year.
Yeah that's a thing I sometimes regret, and that maybe I should correct.
I play classic console games with emulation but never PC one :thinking-blob:
I suppose there are several reasons. One that I already played a lot of PC games, and maybe a mix of fearing early 3d and bad ergonomics (like shitty mouse or UI).

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Usually it's ok and you adjust but yeah some old games' control methods and UI are just atrocious nowadays. What i find especially bad though are the 360/PS3 era console to PC ports as they tend to have really, really bad controller to KB/M mapping.

Reactions: ISee

5taquitos

I don't beat games
Nov 18, 2019
If I can stick 5 more games in my Beaten category, I'll be happy. Ideally I'll buy less than 5 new games in the same timeframe (yeah right lol I'm fucked)

Reactions: ISee

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
The whole EGS mess has taught me that everything's okay if I don't buy a game asap. So I'm just gonna buy games I intend to play immediately. I guess I'll be contributing to the Backlog Blitz thread going forward.

If I wasn't writing a novel, one thing I'd really like to do is write more about the games I play after finishing each one, possibly on my personal site that's currently inactive. I can be quite picky about what I like, and I feel like I owe it to other like-minded people to help curate things.

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
simple
Buy less, play more
It's a little more complicated for me.

I need to figure out how to just play games and not feel like I have to write something about every game I play. I think the first step of this is to cease writing reviews, and write more reflections instead.

This year, I'd like to knock out my RPG backlog which is outrageous.

-

Reactions: prudis

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
I have 2 goals this year:
  • Manage to get some time off from work to play Cyberpunk2077, Silksong and Elden Ring (if it releases this year) on release.
  • Improve or at least keep up with my average of games finished per year, which is 79 in the past 4 years.

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
sounds daunting :-D
lovee RPGs , but over thea years i bought quite a ton of them that i cant really keep up
I started to list them but gave up, lol!!!!

Dragon Age 2
Dragon Age Inquisition
Witcher 2—Vernon Roche path
Witcher 3 (deathmarch campaign) expansions (which are a combined 30 hours)
Pillars of Eternity
Pillars of Eternity 2
Divnity: Original Sin
Divinity: Original Sin 2
All the Shadowrun Games
Tyranny
Underrail
Vampire: The Masquerade—Bloodlines
Replay Baldur's Gate 1&2 before 3 comes out

I have since added Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mask and Disco Elysium

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
Remind myself and everyone else that loyalty to any corporation is stupid shit and none of them are you friends.

Guess what MetaSTEAMCouncil, fucking valve isn't your buddy, fucking bootlickers.
Your plan is to come to every thread insulting people because their choices and skipping games you like?

I'm no one to judge but... sounds like a real waste of time.

Reactions: Milena and Recrees

arcadepc

Jan 3, 2020
Wasted few hundred Euro for these games in just 1 month. Cursed Steam Sale!

Banner Saga 1-3, Banner of the Maid, Vestaria Saga 1, Disgaea 5, Assetto Corsa Competizione (have a logitech g920 with shifter), Epic Mickey 2, Residemt Evil 5 - 7 complete, Stardew Valley, Code VEIN, Daymare 1998 (bundled with 3 Euro worth HATRED), Kingdom Come Deliverance, Stardew Valley, Condemned: Criminal Origins, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, Higurashi, Danganropa 1-3, Five Nights at Freddies, Hack /Last Recode, Sword Art Online Hollow Realization, Digimon Cybersleuth, Monster Hunter World with Iceborn, Total War Collection, Command and Conquer Collection, Yakuza Kiwami 2, Rocket League, Witcher 3 WIld Hunt, Sekiro: Shadows die twice, Hitman 2 Gold, Transport Fever 2, Nier Automata, Hunter:Call of the Wild Complete, For Honor Complete, Dragon Quest XI, Cities Skylines Complete,Rainbow Six Siege Complete, Two Point Hospital, Dark Souls 2-3, Garfield Kart 1,2, Prey Deluxe, GunGun Pixies, Omega Labyrinth Life, Team Sonic Racing, Bleed 2, Pang Adventures, SNK 40th Anniversary, Disney Alladin and Lion King, Jurassic World Evolution Complete, Rise of Flight Complete, UBOAT, Steel Armor: Blaze of War, Super Monkey Ball:Banana Blitz, Strider, Citrouille: Sweet Witches, Sturmwind EX, Bayonetta, Kill la Kill IF, DMC5 complete + few ero games

My goal is to manage to play 30 minutes a day out of every game so that one circle is completed every 2 months. Too overwhelming now that I think about it, but those will last for life....Will add Panzer Dragoon Remake, Samurai Shodown, Freedom Planet 2, Kwaidan and UFO50 whenever they are released.

Mondy

Don't confuse a single failure with a final defeat
Jan 3, 2020
Australia
2020 is shaping to be such an insane year that I think the only goal I can really set is to pace myself and make wise purchase choices. The perfect example of this is PS5. Now that I have a proper nice gaming PC, I'm conflicted for the first time ever on my need for consoles. Those first party exclusives though........Fuck me dead they make it a hard decision.