|OT| Anyone else watching that fine Giant Bomb™ content?

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Been procrastinating this for months now. Anyway, I like Giant Bomb. Especially in the last year they've been helping me getting through everything. But even before that I enjoyed the content of Giant Bomb dot Com. Be that one of the various podcast or video series. Even if their tastes don't always align with mine and I am often of a different opinion on a game than they I still enjoy the personalities and chemistry.

So who else here watches Giant Bomb videos, Breaking Brad: Demon's Souls for the nth time or listens to the Giant Bomb- or Beastcast on the regularly?

My recent favorite video has been Jan and Vinny playing Kingdom Hearts which is behind Premium. If you have it and haven't watched it yet I'd recommend doing so. Vinny and Jan is a good combi and them playing Kingdom Hearts brought me joy.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I've been on Premium for years now and watched as a freebie user for ages before that. Love Giant Bomb even if i do drift away from their content for a while i always return and catch-up. I've been watching other things during lockdown and haven't seen as much of their content as i'd like or that i thought i would but the site is one of my homepages so i have a poke about on there daily.

My eternal favourites have to be their Persona & Deadly Premonition Endurance Runs.

I look forward to their post-covid opening up when they can properly scout for new team members, meet them in person and see how they gel with the existing team.

Reactions: BlueOdin
OP
BlueOdin

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
I've been on Premium for years now and watched as a freebie user for ages before that. Love Giant Bomb even if i do drift away from their content for a while i always return and catch-up. I've been watching other things during lockdown and haven't seen as much of their content as i'd like or that i thought i would but the site is one of my homepages so i have a poke about on there daily.

My eternal favourites have to be their Persona & Deadly Premonition Endurance Runs.

I look forward to their post-covid opening up when they can properly scout for new team members, meet them in person and see how they gel with the existing team.
There is also the matter of them having new studios since the Red Venture takeover of CBSi. Kinda excited to see that and if they use the desk. People hate it but liked it even though some stuff could've been handled better

Reactions: Rockin' Ranger

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I've been a premium for a long time now.
I rarely rewatch content, though I did think about watching Vinny & Jeff Deadly Premonition run again not too long ago.

I'm like 3 months behind on the podcasts. :surrenderblob:

rybrad

Apr 22, 2019
I've been a premium for a long time now.
I rarely rewatch content, though I did think about watching Vinny & Jeff Deadly Premonition run again not too long ago.

I'm like 3 months behind on the podcasts. :surrenderblob:
Same for me. I always tell myself I'll go listen to the ones I missed but I almost never do.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I've been all about their video content for years. I stopped listening to the Bombcast ages ago for some reason probably negativity and talking about kids too much i think and i just haven't gone back to them. Just fell out of the habit i suppose. I will watch the video podcasts they do if i catch them but the podcast is the last thing i remember to listen to these days.

Endurance Run is a great series, Abby's Nancy Drew stuff is good background too. I should really have a poke about this weekend and remind myself of the stuff they do that i liked and catch some of their newer series from this year.

Last edited:

Rogue Agent

Takes too damn long to finish games
Apr 4, 2019
I mostly just watch the Bombcast once timestamps appear in the comments. It can be entertaining but I normally skip the EGS/Steam stuff where they show their lack of knowledge such as the latest one where user reviews are not considered important.

Other than that, the podcasts can still be fun.

OP
BlueOdin

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Still waiting on the Shenmue 2 Endurance Run. Will happen any day now

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Writing was on the wall really.

Lost a bunch of young talent last year.
Lost their 2 studios to make the content along with all the tools/resources.
CBS sold them off during the pandemic to red ventures

Its unfortunate. I loved beastcast and listened to them all the time.

• Sad
Reactions: PhaZZe and lashman

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
This sucks massively. i've been lurking the site since it started and subbed for a long while when i felt i'd free-loaded off them for long enough, lol.
Giant Bomb have been with me for a long time and it'll be strange to see Brad, Vinnie, Alex and ( maybe Rorie ) go but i'm interested to see what Jeff has in store for the future.

Looks like i'll have to grab a big, new HDD and piss off my ISP by downloading the heck out of their youtube archives and Premium Shows.

Also...

Last edited:

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
Losing Vinny, Alex and Brad is tough, I'm really curious to see what Giant bomb will become, I'm glad we will still have Jeff's E3 coverage, Jason, Rori and Jan, hoping for more Danny too.

• Hug
Reactions: PossiblyPudding

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
The announcement from Alex, Brad and Vinny hit me really hard today. I've been following GB since the beginning but even prior to that I had a connection to the site due to Jeff.

Years and years ago when I was still a teenager I sent an email to Gamespot asking for advice how to break into game journalism. The person that responded to that email was none other than Jeff Gerstmann himself. It didn't hit me at the time exactly who that was but once I realized I was floored. It was an incredible moment and you could tell he put a lot of thought and care into the email. Sadly I don't think I have it anymore. I'm pretty sure that's lost to time when my old Yahoo account was shut down.

I never got into journalism but that advice and kindness he showed to some random teenager from the Midwest always stuck with me.

Then the timing with the start of GB was almost too perfect. It came not too long after I had lost my dad. There were a few things in 2008 that I threw myself into to help escape some days, to laugh again or simply smile. GB was a huge part of that. In a weird way they've kind of helped shape me into the goofy guy I am today and I cannot thank them enough for it.

I plan to remain a premium subscriber until the very end which hopefully won't be for several more years.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I think i'm subbed until this time next year due to buying a year or two at a time when they have discount sales, so yeah, i'll be sticking around for a while too. I probably would anyway as i want to see what Jeff has planned for the next evolution of Giant Bomb or whatever, even if he doesn't really have any solid plans i want to see where this crazy train goes. I've been along so far, why stop now?

• This!

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
My sub was going to be up on the 14th of this month, but now it's 13th of next since they added a month to everyone.
No idea if I keep it after that though, month to think about and a month for Jeff and the remaining crew to reveal what's going to come.

• Hug
OP
BlueOdin

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018

In a statement, Giant Bomb founder Gerstmann said: "I've spent a lot of the last year thinking about what's next for Giant Bomb and most of those roads lead to a full-on rethink of what it means to be a Website About Video Games in 2021. While I certainly would have loved to solve these challenges with my longtime friends and coworkers by my side, it just wasn't meant to be. I wish Vinny, Alex, and Brad the best. Meanwhile, we have a pretty exciting opportunity to broaden our horizons, rethink every facet of our operation, and get to a place where we're truly able to build that bomb all over again... or die trying."

Speaking to the future of the site, the Giant Bomb team as a whole said: "There is a collective vision for what the future of Giant Bomb is and it involves both familiar and new faces. We're already in talks with creators so that we can begin the next chapter. We're fully aware that this marks a big change and we're using this as an opportunity to rethink what this site is. It's a chance to introduce new personalities from different backgrounds and explore categories and topics that we never have before."

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I've just read that Rorie is staying! I sometimes get wound-up by him but more often than not lately i think Rorie's great and has really helped pull the community together with events in the forum and streams so i'm glad he's staying. Also, the one time i had an issue with GB, Rorie was fantastic despite being swamped so i have a lot of time for the bloke now.

So it's Jeff, Jason, Jan and Rorie staying.

Reactions: xxr and beep boop

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Yeah, Rorie's got weird energy! Really appreciate what he does, and he also helped me out when I had some issues with my sub and technical stuff on the site.

OP
BlueOdin

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Rorie has been way too powerful on Twitter the last couple of weeks

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I see they got everyone back on the final beastcast, neat.

I continue to be 3 months behind on my podcasts so I'll get there eventually.

Looking at the silver lining, maybe I'll finally catch up. :surrenderblob:

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I watched it live last night for the first time in months and it was a good stream. Good to see them together again for sure.

OP
BlueOdin

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Was a nice sendoff to the people leaving. Wanted to hug Jason in the end. He looked so sad.

Also seems like we will see more Danny O'Dwyer in the future. Changed his bio to being a contractor for Giant Bomb. So I guess he will stay on the Bombcast and maybe do a video or so a week. There is apparently a Patreon video in which he talks about it.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Shocked, totally shocked. Wasn't expecting that at all.

Good on 'em, i'll give it a look and see if it hits the spot for me.
Hopefully they get more exposure than Drew and Cloth Maps but he had a different focus than NoClip so i kind of expected it to not go stratospheric in popularity. even NoClip took a little while to find it's feet and get a regular following.

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Drew and Cloth Map were doing fine for a while, even when the subs declined a bit after the initial massive interest it was still fine.
But covid then killed it for obvious reasons.

Anyways, subbed to Nextlander pod, we'll see how it is.
In general I'd say I'm not immediately interested in it as much if all the video content is going to sit in twitch. I hate twitch. The best feature of GB sub was the ability to easily download all the archives.
Also not terribly fond of the practice on locking bonus stuff behind higher patreon tiers.

Also what is that name? Do they explain it in any way in the first episode, other than that they love space or something?

OP
BlueOdin

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018

From yesterday’s Bombcast. Sounds good to me. Or at least intriguing. Will probably keep my sub for a while to support them and see how it turns out

Reactions: lashman

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I'll watch that later, i got the main points from reddit etc but haven't watched it myself yet. I have another year on my sub as i tend to buy a couple of years in one go when they have sub sales. I'll keep my sub too because i like Jeff and although at times i really disagree with his views or his attitude that rarely lasts long and i like the people he manages to get into GB even if other people have issues with them, i'm generally fine with his choices.

Giant Bomb being Jeff & Friends is a great thing for me as it keeps a core staff and they can get plenty of new and old friends through and interacting. Hopefully it'll keep things fresh and exciting for everyone involved. Good Luck, peeps!

Reactions: BlueOdin

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
My sub runs out in just a couple of days coincidentally and I'm not renewing it for the time being. Though more because money's tight as opposed to no longer having interest in GB.
Definitely on a wait and see mood after listening to their plans though.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
So, anyone still subbed to GB and interested in the new shows? It seems like they are trying to further branch out from just games with Albummer and The Very Online Show with Lucy and Tamoor. It's not for me. I also watched some of the first Borne to Run episode and it didn't grab me either. After my sub ran out proper they offered me a free 30 days to check out the new shows and I took it, but now it's out again and I think this might be the end of that.
:minos_sad:

But I have been watching some Nextlander stuff and it's been alright so far.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I'm mainly there for the podcasts now, which I still enjoy. Most of the stuff I watched was GBE content because Vinny is just that great, and I'm getting that from Nextlander now. I also occasionally like watching Jeff's solo streams where he plays old or weird stuff (if you haven't watched his Super Mario Special streams yet, they're absolute gold!), but those are few and far between in addition to usually being free. If he did a new endurance run type of thing, I'd definitely sub for a month or two to watch.

Reactions: Alexandros

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I'm totally the opposite lol! I haven't listened to a GB Podcast in months and months, possibly years. I'm mainly there for the video content these days.
Though thinking on it, their podcasts were always second bat to their video content especially long series like Endurance Run. Some of those series are certified gold classics.

I don't dislike anything they've put out so far but i haven't watched/listened to Albummer as i'm just not that interested in Wheezer but i'll put it on while Minecrafting at some point i'm sure. My sub is paid up til next year as i always buy a couple of years when they have sales on and i'll probably pick up another year or two in the next one as i missed the latest GB sale. I like having GB available to me as a kind of "safety net" lol.

Ii don't mind if they trial various ideas to see what sticks as i find them entertaining enough anyway and sooner or later they'll hit gold. I'm also liking that there's more european voices and tastes being brought in at the moment. It's fun though i'm sure that'll change once they work out what new staffing they want.

Compared to years ago i have a wealth of good to great content to watch and that's not including NextLander which i totally forgot about and haven't seen any of their content yet. So i have that to schedule in at some point too.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Incidentally, Jeff moved right? Has he said any particular reason? Bigger home because of the growing family?

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Yes, he recently moved but i'm not sure of the details but yeah mostly for family i think.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Those wildfires also got awfully close last season, he said back then. I imagine that must’ve played some part. Scary as hell.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky
OP
BlueOdin

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Incidentally, Jeff moved right? Has he said any particular reason? Bigger home because of the growing family?
Yes, one of the main motivations was more room(s) for growing family. I don't know where he moved to but wildfires could also be a motivation. The recent years he talked about how he had bags ready for when the fires came close.