|OT| Arcade Stick/Controllers Discussion

Anne

Apr 18, 2019

Welcome to the thread where we talk about arcade sticks and other various arcade controllers. Feel free to ask any questions, discuss modding, or share any cool projects that are going on. I've gone ahead and slapped together an OP with some information for the major brands that are out there for people who may be approaching this from a newer perspective. Links to more resources are at the bottom. I focus on arcade sticks since those are the common and most popular, but feel free to discuss any type of controller built with arcade games in mind.

Major Brands for full sticks:

Madcatz
Although they really aren't around supporting their sticks anymore, I feel like they should be mentioned since they were the kings of the PS360 era and there are tons of their sticks still floating around today. Madcatz branded sticks tend to come with pretty nice cases, Sanwa parts, and VLX layouts. They are about as standard as you can get for a nicer joystick. Unfortunately, their PCB quality varies from generation to generation. The last sticks they made, the TE2+ and TE-S+, are known to have their PCBs fail, as are some of the sticks made during the Fight Stick Pro era. The original TE and TE-S models fair better, Still, most of these things floating around out there are on the older end now, so always look for a good deal or be prepared to replace some things.

Hori
Hori has been around making fighsticks since the dark ages, and they are still offering a pretty wide selection of various sticks across the board. The HRAP line tends to start a bit cheaper with lighter, plastic cases, with Hori offering larger, heavier builds that are around the $200 premium price range. The range of options on offer are pretty nice, and the quality of their higher end sticks are pretty steady. Hori does use their own line of Hayabusa parts in all of their sticks these days. The Hayabusa parts are well made, but they have a distinct feel that may alienate players used to Sanwa/Seimitsu parts. Their lower end sticks(the minis, under $100) are very cheap without realistic ways to upgrade them. Personally would avoid those.

Qanba
Qanba is a Chinese company that's also been around for a bit. The Obsidian is their current flagship in the premium price range which checks a lot of the standard boxes of Sanwa parts, VLX layout, solid case, etc. They offer quite a few cheaper sticks, which have varying degrees of quality, They make for good starting points for mods, but almost always have knock off parts or cheap PCBs. The Drone in particular has a pretty good price point for an entry level stick with knock off parts, but with a format that is very easy to upgrade to other Japanese parts. The older Q4s/Eightarcs out there are also pretty solid.

Razer
Razer really just has the one stick out there, but it's a pretty popular one. The Panthera has a very nice case that's easy to mod, comes with Sanwa parts, VLX layout, and so on. Very nice feature set and quality for the $200 price bracket. Only caveat is the connector they use for the detachable cord is nonstandard, so if that breaks it can be a pain to deal with, The Panthera Evo is very much the same stick in a different form factor. As far as the old 360 model goes(Atrox), let me just say I've never seen one that isn't broken in some way.

Part Manufacturers

Sanwa Denshi: The most common type of Japanese buttons to find in home arcade controllers. They make really one kind of stick, the JLF, and one kind of button, the OBSF, along with silent variants. Parts tend to be made for general use across different games, with the JLF being one of the most moddable sticks on the market. Very good quality, not expensive.

Seimitsu: The second most common brand of Japanese parts you will find. Make many different kinds of joysticks with specialty games in mind. Shmup fans tend to heavily prefer their range of joysticks. Were more common on older Japanese style cabinets, so people after that feel also gravitate towards them. Make a few different types of buttons, most notably clear screw ins which are popular for art mods. Similar quality to Sanwa parts, similar price range, different feel..

Hori: Have their own line of parts they can be bought separately or ships on their sticks. Derivative of Sanwa but with some nice quality upgrades here and there and a distinct feel all their own. Similar price to the other 2 major Japanese brands. Matte finish on buttons tends to wear off over time though.

Korean Parts: In general, Korean parts are becoming more popular. Korean joysticks have bat top handles built directly into the shaft, tend to have no gate, and use a grommet tension system. What that means on a basic level is they are somewhat similar to older American style joysticks, but are much higher quality and less unwieldy. Crown/Samducksa is the largest brand catering to the home stick market. Note: Traditional Korean joysticks will NOT FIT in a Japanese style stick. However, Crown/Samducksa now offer modified Korean sticks that will fit. Check before you buy!

Happ/IL: If you are looking for the classic American style parts. They won't fit into anything that adheres to Japanese standards without a ton of modifications. Quality has varied over the years, and in truth I don't know much about what's going on with them these days.

Other Brands to Consider:

Brook:
Popular for making multi-console PCBs and converters with low latency.
Etokki: Korean stick maker, make some high quality joysticks
Jasenscustoms: Mod and case maker, known for Panzer cases and EZMod PCB replacements.
Victrix: Made an absurdly expensive and overpriced premium stick.
Gamerfinger: Make Japanese style Cherry MX based buttons.
(I'll add more later)

Store links:
Arcade Shock
Focus Attack
Paradise Arcade Shop
Jasen's Customs - Fight Sticks, Arcade Panels, and FGC Tech
etokki
AllFightSticks
Your One Stop Shop For Arcade Parts And Components

Feel free to suggest more shops you use in the thread, I'll check them out and add them up.

Other Resources:
slagcoin
Tech Talk
Teyah.net

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman and fsdood

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
Nice OP!

I'll add a recommendation for Arcade World UK for those of us in the EU (however long that lasts for the Brits).
They don't have a lot of arcade sticks (just Qanba), but they have all the spare parts you might need for your controller.

Reactions: Anne
OP
Anne

Anne

Apr 18, 2019
Nice OP!

I'll add a recommendation for Arcade World UK for those of us in the EU (however long that lasts for the Brits).
They don't have a lot of arcade sticks (just Qanba), but they have all the spare parts you might need for your controller.
Thanks! Added. EU will be a big blindspot for me so any suggestions from peeps over there are much appreciated,

Edit: also, if anybody wants to make better graphics for a header/cover be my guest. I just grabbed a random photo from my phone's camera roll and cropped it down ;~;

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
I tried a 6 button controller for a while (hori fighting commander), but it just didn't work out well for me, I find its dpad rather unconfortable and I kept missing dpad inputs, so I've been thinking about an arcade stick for a while (probably a razer panthera evo), though it'll still be many months until I can afford one (I got other things I want to buy that take priority right now).

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Edit: also, if anybody wants to make better graphics for a header/cover be my guest. I just grabbed a random photo from my phone's camera roll and cropped it down ;~;
it's good! :) don't forget to add a thread cover as well, if you want (the "cover" button at the top)

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I don't use an arcade stick much (exclusively for shmups really), but I've been happy with the Qanba Q4RAF since I got it years ago. I did some minor mods to reduce the travel of the stick even further, which I prefer for my purposes (that is, for bullet hell).

Anne's Quick Buying Guide
OP
Anne

Anne

Apr 18, 2019
I wanted to add some more info for people looking to buy something that find this thread. Listing off some quick personal opinions for currently supported sticks. I have personally used and at least fiddled with every stick on this list at some point in time. Keeping it to sticks that you buy complete and work straight out the box. Between the info in the OP and this, I don't think I could do much more to inform somebody who's curious at a base level,

Hori:

HRAP 4 Kai/ HRAP V:
Light, cheaper plastic cases. Can be scooped pretty cheaply on the right deal. Easy to swap JP parts in with some exceptions. Would rec if somebody wants to save money and finds it on the cheap.
HRAP N: The "N" stands for Noir layout, which is the official Namco layout. Has one of the current best and most easily moddable Japanese cases out there. My personal favorite from them.
Fighting Edge: These are pretty nice, but the case and top panel are kind of divisive at that price range. Quite nice sticks and very pretty, but I'm not entirely convinced on the premium pricetag for that.
VLX: Do not pay $300+ dollars for this thing unless you are a serious ass collector. They are just designed purely to show off and look nuts, and outside of that are just pains to carry around. Everything in the stick is quality, it's just not very practical as a daily driver.
Hori Minis: Just don't. Cheap garbage that you can't even use as a modding base,

Qanba:

Obsidian:
The flagship stick sitting at the $200 price point. Quite nice for somebody looking for a Sanwa stick and also likes the case. The aftermarket support for them is actually quite strong for modding. I have heard reports of weird shit happening with their drivers on PC. That was supposedly resolved, so I could rec it in that case.
Dragon: I have no idea why this thing is $300. You get a big ass stick that is functionally identical to the Obsidian, but is harder to carry around with a pop top case feature. Similar to the VLX, it just exists to show off impractical money for people into the style.
Crystal: Knock off parts and shit prone to failure. The case is quite nice for modding purposes, but that's it. I've known 3 different people to buy them just to have them break later. Personally would avoid.
Drone: These things are cheap, tiny cases with knock off parts. But, sometimes you want that small form factor and you can replace the parts. These things go on sale super low (like less than $50 low) and are just a part swap away from being pretty solid. Great way to get a small, budget case to work with. Also good as a "non-commital" stick for people flirting with the idea of getting more into arcade style games.

Razer:

Panthera:
I really quite like the case and features on this stick, and the company has been fairly transparent about the drivers and functionality of it. A good option for the $200 price point with Sanwa parts. As mentioned above, the connector is the only sore point for this thing. Not that they are prone to breaking as far as I know, but they are proprietary so if the cable or connector fails, have fun dealing with that, Would be my top recommendation at that price point otherwise.
Panthera Evo: I only have hands on with this at a demo once, but I'm pretty confident in talking about it. Is more or less the same stick as the Panthera, but sacrifices the easy to work with nature of the Panthera's case for a much slimmer form factor. Also does not have the connector issue as it is just a non-detachable USB cable on the thing. At $200 I miss the pop top, but still one of the top sticks so far at that range. I should mention these use Razer's own mechanical switches inside Sanwa clone buttons. Impressions seem fine, but time will tell how they hold up. I'm not worried about them.

Victrix Pro: For people who have more money than sense. You do get more or less everything you want from a strick, but at $350 you're better off putting together your own with everything you possibly want under your own control. Great sticks and they look sleek, but personally I find the price to be absolutely laughable.

eTokki: Don't own one these guys either, but have used one. One of the best quality sticks you can buy. Unfortunately they are also hard to get your hands on and ship out of Korea. If you are interested in Korean style sticks, you can not mess up going with these guys.

Mayflash: I forgot to put this up earlier in the OP. Cheap and requires a licensed controller to get going on consoles. They do accept JP parts though, so it's another small form factor case to work with. Would not buy unless you plan on putting a real PCB and button set into.

I don't use an arcade stick much (exclusively for shmups really), but I've been happy with the Qanba Q4RAF since I got it years ago. I did some minor mods to reduce the travel of the stick even further, which I prefer for my purposes (that is, for bullet hell).
If you like that type of mod, you might eventually want to try throwing a Seimitsu in as a fun little project. They just are very well tuned out the gate for those styles of games. You can mod the JLF to hell to reduce throw, but it still won't be as finely tuned as a Seimitsu. I keep an LS-40 in my VLX just for STG stuff.

Last edited:
OP
Anne

Anne

Apr 18, 2019
Necro bump but WydD posted his new set of input lag results that are extremely detailed if anybody is interested. Has information for games and monitors as well.

Reactions: lashman

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018
Necro bump but WydD posted his new set of input lag results that are extremely detailed if anybody is interested. Has information for games and monitors as well.
The game engine write-up is super interesting. Still trying to learn more about this subject, but information is so scarce.