Q&A Are you excited for Pokemon Sword and Shield?

Are you on board with Pokemon Sword and Shield?

• Total voters

Phantom Thief

Life Will Change
Jun 7, 2019

As someone who's been jilted by the recent Pokemon games (especially Sun/Moon and Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon), I loved what they showed off yesterday for Pokemon Sword and Shield. The Wild Area and them going open and exploration based is the kind of thing I have wanted for Pokemon for years now, but had given up hope would ever happen.

So yes, I'm on board with Pokemon Sword and Shield, and it's my most anticipated game of the year now. How about yourself?

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
First pokemon i'll be buying since Pearl, the raids sound cool. Wouldn't say i'm "hyped" tho.

Massicot

RPG Site Contributer, RPG Fan
Sep 19, 2018
United States
Haven't played a Pokemon game since Diamond. Every single gen since I think "Maybe I'll step back in" but then never do. Kinda at that point right now. I never had a 3DS but do have a Switch, so more likely to actually try it out this round.

BernardoOne

MetaMember
Oct 19, 2018
It looks nice enough, but i'll wait for Pokemon Gun

(or whatever the third version will be called with more content and QoL improvements)

Reactions: RionaaM

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Yes, I like pokemon and I want to see more of this, I will probably buy Shield or Sword around December-January although, if I'm honest, I want Let's Go Silver/Gold more, still my favorite pokemon games :D

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I don't think I've cared about a pokemon game since gold/silver which I think was so long ago now that people thought jorts were still ok to wear.

Have they finally added a degree of challenge or depth to this one?

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Not excited, don't have a Switch, but I think it looks pretty damn cool.

The world looks purdy with a Xenoblade style verticality and interesting and imaginative landmarks coming up the horizon or down after a hilltop.

sauce

Babushkats
Dec 3, 2018
I'm torn between both the starters and which legendary doggie i want to go with. :confounded-face:

JackPineSavage

crazy drunken bastard
Jun 2, 2019
only pokeyman game i have ever played is red with gameboy color. i don't have any nintendo system now so i can't say i'm excited.

sauce

Babushkats
Dec 3, 2018
Reactions: JackPineSavage

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
I'm warily excited. Getting one of those games day one for sure, don't know which yet (which is why I'm not voting on the poll, there's no "I'm in but haven't decided which version" option), but after gen 7 I'm not sure I'll like it much. The wild area with the free camera looks like a fantastic adddition to the franchise, but I'm afraid Game Freak will double down on their terrible attempts at making a cinematic game.

I really, really, REALLY hope they dial the cutscenes back. And if RotomPhone is 1/10th as annoying as RotomDex was in USUM, I'll be very pissed.

There hasn't been a "third version" in over a decade :cryblob:
Can't speak for B2W2 because I haven't play them yet, but USUM were kind of third versions. Although they made the game considerably worse in some aspects, so I wouldn't really call them improvements.

Reactions: NarohDethan

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Didnt know PT was here :D welcome.

I'll get it but I'm not 'excited'.

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
On a more serious note, I am actually interested in Pokemon Sword/Shield/Trebuchet..
The last Pokemon game I played for any amount of time was Red and that was ages ago.
I am genuinely curious to see how the series has changed since that.

Unfortunately I do not own any Nintendo hardware and I have yet to talk myself into getting a Switch .. but maybe I should just go ahead and take the plunge.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Wait what, Phantom is here? :face-screaming-in-fear:

Surely, I'm picking up Sword. Pokemon is finally evolving after all these decades in handheld devices. This is what I've been waiting for.

Reactions: NarohDethan

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
I haven't played Pokemon (aside from Go) since gen 3, I figure this is as good as a jumping in point as any.
It looks nice enough, but i'll wait for Pokemon Gun

(or whatever the third version will be called with more content and QoL improvements)
They haven't done a "third version" game since Platinum in 2009.

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
Sure, I'll buy it since I have switch but excited? Not really, only FromSoft games manage to get me excited.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Was a bit surprised to see this thread here. But now that I see the OP, not that shocked! Welcome :p

As for Pokemon, eh. I was hoping they would do a bit more with it, but it's Pokemon so of course it won't be treading new ground. The environments don't look particularly inspired and the big Pokemon thing makes me me think Gamefreak lost the plot a little. I'll still buy it though. The core game is plenty entertaining usually. Been enjoying watching Giant Bomb's Pokemon battle series and I want to finally try building a competitive team.

I do hope they move away from the linearity of Sun and Moon though. Did not enjoy that much at all. Let me explore, get stuck, and discover stuff for myself! That's the vibe that Pokemon generated really well in the early games. Didn't really get from that trailer that it'd improve on this, but I haven't watched it with the sound on :U

Last edited:

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Not excited but very curious. I've heard about this series since I was a kid but never owned a handheld device so it'll be my first Pokemon game.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Digimons are better, (where's my Cyber Sleuth PC port, Bamco?). Most Pokemon games put me to sleep faster so no, I won't say that I'm excited in the least.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Digimons are better, (where's my Cyber Sleuth PC port, Bamco?). Most Pokemon games put me to sleep faster so no, I won't say that I'm excited in the least.
Cyber Sleuth was SO good. I really enjoyed the evolution system -- much more than breeding in any Pokemon game.

Reactions: Kvik