Community Backlog Blitz Season 11 - Runs April 1 through June 30 with a raffle at the end

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
We just finished a successful tenth season of the Backlog Blitz. That's a milestone! And that now brings us to this Eleventh Season. That means we've had more seasons than Friends. Take that Ross and Monica! We had 19 participants with 94 game goals set and 64 of them were completed. Congrats on clearing out those backlogs! In fact we had a higher rate of completion this season compared to the season before! Ascheroth was the big winner this time with winning the raffle for completing Superliminal. Make sure to congratulate them here or at the previous thread!

We've made it to quarter two of 2022. And it currently looks to be a bit of a quiet release period for the big games, though if you're into indies there's always something new to play. Maybe this will be a great time to knock out some of the longer backlog games you've held onto?

The spreadsheet has been updated, the prize pool has been reset. We'll start with $23.68 due to leftover but chipping in is always welcome. The details to do so will be posted separately within the thread soon after we get started.

Pick your games accordingly!

What it is:

It's a simple way to clear out some backlog games. You select a number of specific games you want to complete and if you complete them in a set time frame you have a chance to pick a game of your choice within the prize limits.

Rules:

First off, there is no time limit on when you can join. If you come in late and only have a month left please feel free to join. Even one completed game will get you entered into the raffle detailed below.

Everyone shares the same rules so an agreed amount of time would be set (three months this time) and then a set amount of games you want to complete in that time (been using five games). You then pick your specific five games with the intention that you don't go changing it all the time. The idea isn't that once you beat some game you go and list it and mark it complete. Instead, you pick five games to complete at the start of the Blitz and ideally you complete them as well as anything else you want to finish in that time.

Prize:

In the end, I suggest a prize pool and a simple raffle done. I always chip in $20 to start it and accept any other additions. Raffle winners must use at least half but can go up to the full price of a game (capped at $60 if the prize pool gets large enough). Leftover goes to the next drawn winner until it gets down to $0 (or close enough at which point I'll just add it to the next Blitz).

Thoughts?

There's no entry fee or anything so there's really no loss for taking part or starting it and then ignoring it. It's just a fun way to clear out backlog games and have discussion about what you're completing. And commiserate if you pick a game you don't enjoy and sour one of your spots on your list.

I created the Google Sheet so feel free to add yourself and games:

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
I changed to a hide until replied as I think some people had issues with the hide until reacted. Ask any questions and sorry for those that already posted their new lists in the previous thread. Feel free to just post it again here as we continue for the next three months here.

Good luck, everyone!

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Not at home at the moment, but my initial list I posted in the previous thread is The Swapper, Paradise Killer, Infinifactory, Prince of Persia 08 and Frozen Synapse. Going to look at it and possibly change some stuff later when I get home.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Going to try and finish the games I never got to last time around and add two others. Will add to the sheet in a bit
  1. Metro Exodus
  2. Pumpkin Jack
  3. Call of Juarez - Bound in Blood
  4. SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom ā€“ Rehydrated
  5. Gears Tactics

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Yay, I won something :partyblob:

I didn't finish Virgo last blitz, didn't actually play anymore after my last post about it šŸ˜… .
Partly because I got side-tracked by Lost Ark, but also because I kinda felt like I wanted to play it on the Deck and I only got that this week, sooo... yeah :p

Which is why I'm going to carry that over to this Blitz, that makes my list currently this:

1. Virgo Versus The Zodiac
  2. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy
  3. Scarlet Nexus
  4. The Signifier
  5. The Count Lucanor

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
For my list this time I'm looking at

1. Monster Hunter World/Iceborne (PC)
2. Phantom Doctrine
3. Edge of Eternity
4. Total Warhammer 2
5. Horizon Forbidden West

I really wanted to play horizon at launch but the horrible shimmering issue has stopped me all this time. I'm giving them til the end of the april to fix this then I'll probably suck it up and go through it even with the ugly image quality.

Reactions: FeedMeAStrayCat

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Alright, my current list is

The Swapper (2013), been meaning to play this for ages. Pretty much since it released. :D
Paradise Killer (2020), just got some kind of big update so now is a good time to play it.
Infinifactory (2015), bought it way back on early access, played some of it then but decided to wait until it's out out. It's now been out for almost 7 years. :D
Frozen Synapse (2011), this is also one of those that I started a million years ago, liked well enough, but something got in the way and I never went back, until now.
Final Fantasy X (Remaster 2013, Steam 2016), I played the original through once back in the day. Thought at the time that it was kind of overrated to be honest, curious how I feel about it today.

I switched out Prince of Persia 08 as I'm not really feeling like playing Nolan North at the moment. Though I may change it back by the end, it's still on my shortlist.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I will be pretty busy irl in the upcoming few months so let's see if I will be able to play through at least one of these games!

1. Blacksad: Under the Skin
2. Darksiders II Deathinitive Edition
3. Citizens of Earth
4. STAR WARS Jedi: Fallen Order Koisuru Otome to Shugo no Tate
5. Learn Japanese To Survive! Hiragana Battle
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy
I would love to completely erase my memories on these games to experience them again. They are THAT good!

Last edited:

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Eleven seasons, huh?! Congratulations Wibblewozzer and everyone who took part.

Gonna give another shot, too. Hopefully I can complete it this time around.

• Hug
Reactions: lashman

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
Serious Sam 4, The Witcher 3 and Realms of the Haunting should be good enough for a start

EDIT: Also added Risen 3 and Battlefield 1 because why not.

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
My five this time:
  • Mega Man X7
  • Assassin's Creed Chronicles: India
  • 428: Shibuya Scramble
  • Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
  • Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
I've actually started up recently Mega Man X7 and Sly Cooper to get through some early game stuff just to try them out. I've been going through the Sly Cooper series each Blitz so this will finish that up and also similarly with Mega Man I've been playing through the collections for the past 1.5 years or so and I'm eager to finish up the X games. But sadly X7 seems incredibly bad from the two stages I completed in March. I almost thought I'd skip it but I'll push through and just wrap it up so I can never think about it again.

428 I started a couple years back but I'll restart since I didn't get too far and forgot enough stuff. The other two are unplayed but I've played previous stuff recently so I mostly know what I'm getting into there. Should be a fairly decent set of games outside of X7.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Here's my list
  • Full Metal Daemon Muramasa
  • Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  • Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
  • Yakuza Kiwami

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Congrats Ascheroth on the win

I think my raffle games will be following

World of Final Fantasy
Street Fighter 5 story mode
Mighty Switch Force! Collection (all four games)
Mega Man X 5

Haven't decided on the fifth game yet. Wibblewozzer inspired me to play Mega Man X 5. I already have played the previous games in the first collection, so I should play the games on the second collection

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Congrats Ascheroth on the win

I think my raffle games will be following

World of Final Fantasy
Street Fighter 5 story mode
Mighty Switch Force! Collection (all four games)
Mega Man X 5

Haven't decided on the fifth game yet. Wibblewozzer inspired me to play Mega Man X 5. I already have played the previous games in the first collection, so I should play the games on the second collection
Starting with X5 the Mega Man games added in a bunch of fairly annoying systems that really just require a guide to understand and refer back to if you don't intend to replay the game a bunch to form your own mastery of things. I never look up boss order guides or anything but the way that game introduced enemy levels and such is just insane. X6 also has a lot going on with its systems. X7 from what I've played is just a mix of frustrating and boring. At least X8 is where it's considered to improve a lot so I'm excited to get to that point.

I have the Zero/ZX games already purchased too but I think those aren't really hated like half the X games are.

• Sad
Reactions: Deku

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
I would love to completely erase my memories on these games to experience them again. They are THAT good!
Yes, I already played through the first game ages back and really liked it.
I'm replaying it anyway though since I barely remember anything about it and it's still very good!

• Comfy
Reactions: Cacher

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Starting with X5 the Mega Man games added in a bunch of fairly annoying systems that really just require a guide to understand and refer back to if you don't intend to replay the game a bunch to form your own mastery of things. I never look up boss order guides or anything but the way that game introduced enemy levels and such is just insane. X6 also has a lot going on with its systems. X7 from what I've played is just a mix of frustrating and boring. At least X8 is where it's considered to improve a lot so I'm excited to get to that point.

I have the Zero/ZX games already purchased too but I think those aren't really hated like half the X games are.
Looks like there is not much to look forward in the remaining X games :(

But hey, I found a fifth game for the blitz:
Azure Striker Gunvolt

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Looks like there is not much to look forward in the remaining X games :(

But hey, I found a fifth game for the blitz:
Azure Striker Gunvolt
Some people really like X5 and X6. I looked after starting X7 for a ranking of the X games and I was surprised how many put 5 or 6 (or both) in their top half. I just think some of the design decisions are incredibly nuts. They definitely made the games less straightforward and introduced a whole thing about rescuing NPCs on every level. They do get some creative levels and ideas that really mix things up so that's nice. They also are fairly stress free because being able to lose lives and start from a checkpoint means there's a lot less frustrations in the games.

They're just different. And in some ways I enjoyed it but in others it was kind of maddening to accept.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Been doing a lot of replays recently, as not much in my library has really jumped out at me as of late. Currently replying P5 Strikers, but I don't think that should be a game I include on my Blitz because I've already completed it.

But once I'm done with it, here's what my Q2 Blitz looks like:

1. Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered (PS5)
2. Lost Judgment (PS5)
3. Mass Effect 3 (PC)
4. Moss (PC VR)
5. Shadowrun Dragonfall (PC)

The Blitz following this one will be full of games I want to play on my Steam Deck, as I should have one by the end of June at the latest. I've got 17 games (some replays) that I'm going to smash through once I can play on the go. I already think I know what my next 5 are, but we'll see a bit closer to the date.

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Finished the first Ace Attorney game! As good as it was the first time I played it. That puts me at... 1/3 of 5 games :p
I forgot just how long the last case was (the one added for the DS version). šŸ˜… It was good though!

Just finished the first case of Justice For All and that was fun as well. New music too :evilblob:
I'm a bit surprised at how fast I'm going through it to be honest, Steam Deck too powerful.

Reactions: Cacher and C-Dub

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I'm likely going to have to totally redo my list because my new PC seems to have died today (currently working through options on wtf to do about it). But most of those games aren't going to play on my old PC at acceptable settings. Also right now I don't even feel like looking at a PC lol.

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
I'm likely going to have to totally redo my list because my new PC seems to have died today (currently working through options on wtf to do about it). But most of those games aren't going to play on my old PC at acceptable settings. Also right now I don't even feel like looking at a PC lol.
Just pick up the Kingdom Hearts complete collection on Playstation and go through all of those. Easy to fill in five slots with those.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Swapped Jedi Fallen Order to Koisuru Otome to Shugo no Tate. Already started reading and it's fun!
Finished the first Ace Attorney game! As good as it was the first time I played it. That puts me at... 1/3 of 5 games :p
I forgot just how long the last case was (the one added for the DS version). šŸ˜… It was good though!

Just finished the first case of Justice For All and that was fun as well. New music too :evilblob:
I'm a bit surprised at how fast I'm going through it to be honest, Steam Deck too powerful.
Wow you are fast! The last case of JFA is such a classic. Definitely among my top 5 case of the whole franchise.

Last edited:

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Time for some new games and god knows I need them after 6 weeks of nothing but ER (and I still didn't finish it...) but I'm not putting that on the list.
Here's what I'm expecting to play next (all pc):
  • Mafia: Definitive Edition
  • Iconoclasts
  • Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest
  • Timelie
  • Evan's Remains

Last edited:

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
My five games this round will be the following.

1. 8-bit Adventure Anthology: Volume I
2. Dishonored
3. Silence
4. Figment
5. Hyper Light Drifter

Actually filled out which games I'm going to play this time. :coffee-blob:

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
My new 5

1. Lego Star Wars Skywalker saga
2. Phantom Doctrine
3. Expeditions Rome
4. Medieval Remake
5. Horizon Forbidden West

Spamlynguist

I can never decide on an avatar
Dec 31, 2018
My five games this time are....

1. A Hat in Time (Steam)
2. Robo Vacuum Simulator (Steam)
3. VA-11 Hall-A (Switch)
4. Sumire (Switch)
5. Minecraft Dungeons (Steam)

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
And that wraps the 2nd game of the Ace Attorney Trilogy. One more to go!
I believe I'll play something else before I'll continue with the 3rd though, just to shake things up a bit.

Anyway, on the whole I would say Justice For All was a bit weaker than the first game. The first case was good and the last case was fantastic, but the middle two were a bit meh. There wasn't really anything fundamentally bad about any of the crimes and mysteries, but I found Franziska's shtick fairly annoying instead of funny (though she grew on me towards the end), and they tried too hard with the exaggerated shticks of some witnesses as well for me.
Still good overall and fortunately it ended on a very high note, but I'd say it was less consistent then the first one.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
I did not know that the third game in the Mighty Switch Force Collection was a HD remaster of the first game. I probably will skip this game in the collection. Although the game has more levels in it. So I will play it anyway :D

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Finished The Count Lucanor. Very enjoyable creepy puzzle adventure. Similar to Yuppie-Psycho sine Lucanor was the devs earlier game, but an enjoyable experience nonetheless.

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Finished The Count Lucanor. Very enjoyable creepy puzzle adventure. Similar to Yuppie-Psycho sine Lucanor was the devs earlier game, but an enjoyable experience nonetheless.
Wow, had no idea those were made by the same developer. I played a little bit of Count Lucanor but determined it wasn't really for me.

Spamlynguist

I can never decide on an avatar
Dec 31, 2018
Managed to beat Robo Vacuum Simulator a couple days ago. Ironically it did absolutely suck. I like "chore-core" games like Power Wash Simulator and Viscera Cleanup Detail but this one was super repetitive in both gameplay and level design.

Also, the selection of stock music used was slowly driving me mad while playing it.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
And that's The Signifier finished. That was quite a trip. Story was pretty interesting overall. It's basically a first person adventure with some puzzles where you have to solve a death by using your fancy AI-based memory reconstruction tech on the victim's digitized brain. There a lot of choices that result into both you learning more about what's going on and also the ending. There are a bunch of them. I think I stumbled into the "best" one somehow šŸ˜…
Highlight is definitely the visual experience. Investigating the memories is hella trippy. It also has some really creepy moments.
Pretty good overall.

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
First game down. Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time is done. Easily the best in the franchise and people that always say the second game is the best are absolutely insane as the third and fourth both improve on it. Glad to finally finish up the Sly games since not finishing the third and fourth game was always something I wanted to get around to since I've played all the other games in Sony's PS2 platformer franchises over the years.

Reactions: C-Dub

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Finished my first game - Mafia: Definitive Edition
I was one of the 20 people who played the original around the release date in 2002(!!! jfc how time flies...) and I was very surprised with how much of the story I remembered, and not only the major plot points like the ending, which is iconic and legendary in it's own right, but the beat-by-beat of each individual missions. It's still a great story, one of the best this medium ever had imho, and in hindsight it's actually funny how much it "borrows" from the sopranos or the godfather, most of it I didn't notice back then.
It's a shame on the technical level the game is a disaster. Had to play it at 30fps and only in short bursts otherwise it would give me headaches (I'm one of those guys with very sensitive eyesight and that notices every little itch or stutter and 30fps is unbearable), thankfuly the game is short (~10h).

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Finished the second game the other night: Mega Man X7. What a terrible, horrible no-good game. But I was determined to finish it so that I could complete the mainline Mega Man games. I'm fine that I somewhat rushed it and didn't collect all the items before finishing it. I started Mega Man X8 right after just to see the improvements and it feels amazing in comparison. Looking forward to playing it. Probably finish that before the next Blitz so I'll start getting into the last collection after that.

• Toucan
Reactions: Derrick01

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I finished lego skywalker saga. It's enjoyable for a lego game and insanely huge and bloated with pickups but it's also a hot mess at least on ps5. There's more bugs than I can recall in my 40 hours including ones that are stopping me from completing planets and the performance is abysmal at times. I'm talking huge fps drops and screen tearing if there's a decent amount of action going on. Apparently xbox doesn't have these issues so this is a pretty shameful port.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Finished P5 Strikers, my pre-Blitz game, yesterday.

Starting Marvelā€™s Spider-Man on PS5 today.

Edit: Aaaand I've dropped Spider-Man. Playing the first hour or so, the combat is really uninteresting, it has one of those skill trees that I dislike, and the game has a lot of open world box-ticking exercises that it's introducing me to.

And what's with the puzzles? Who wants those in an action game?

Basically, it's full of a bunch of AAA blandified cruft that became really popular from 2011 onwards, which I can sometimes deal with, but not in this instance.

So I'm off to a good start on my Blitz (as usual) and will need to look for something else.

Now my Blitz looks like this:

1. Lost Judgment (PS5)
2. Mass Effect 3 (PC)
3. Moss (PC VR)
4. Shadowrun Dragonfall (PC)
5. ???

Last edited:

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Finished three games on Mighty Switch Force! Collection. There is one more game in the collection, but since it's just a HD remaster of the first game I am not going to count it as a requirement to finish a blitz game.

I have already started to play World of Final Fantasy since two weeks ago, close to the ending. The game is slow, so I am using cheat engine to speed up the game a bit. I think I am going to use exp multiplier since it's a pain to start over from level 1 every time I find a new pokemon... cough cough.. monster

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Finished P5 Strikers, my pre-Blitz game, yesterday.

Starting Marvelā€™s Spider-Man on PS5 today.

Edit: Aaaand I've dropped Spider-Man. Playing the first hour or so, the combat is really uninteresting, it has one of those skill trees that I dislike, and the game has a lot of open world box-ticking exercises that it's introducing me to.

And what's with the puzzles? Who wants those in an action game?

Basically, it's full of a bunch of AAA blandified cruft that became really popular from 2011 onwards, which I can sometimes deal with, but not in this instance.

So I'm off to a good start on my Blitz (as usual) and will need to look for something else.

Now my Blitz looks like this:

1. Lost Judgment (PS5)
2. Mass Effect 3 (PC)
3. Moss (PC VR)
4. Shadowrun Dragonfall (PC)
5. ???
Largely agree with all of that about Spider-Man. I liked Miles Morales a lot more but it may not change the right things for you to care about it. Still worth checking out if you're at least mildly interested. It has a better story, characters, improved combat (same combat but with a new meter for more varied ability options), less of the open world crap the first game was loaded with (and I usually don't mind that stuff in other open world games), and most of the side stuff are side missions that are all unique (though maybe not all going to blow your socks off). Felt like everything was improved.

Lost Judgment was my favorite game of last year so at least you have that.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Aaaand that's a wrap!

Finished the 3rd Ace Attorney game, so now I can cross of the trilogy from this Blitz :dmcblob:
Took me 44.4 hours to get through it all (no, I didn't intend to get that exact number, but I'll take it, lol).

Overall, game 3 was was probably my favorite of them all. I found all the cases individuall to be strong and they all fed into the final case in some way, so nothing really felt like "filler". It also built on cases from both the first and second game and it felt like it wrapped up everything nicely.
Godot was also really fun and the music was killer.

Overall I'd probably say I'd rank 3 > 1 > 2, but they're all very good.

• Comfy
Reactions: C-Dub and Cacher
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
And third Blitz game down. Finished Assassin's Creed Chronicles: India last night. Liked it more than China, probably because they cut back on the amount of "traditional" levels that are longer and slower with a lot of stealth sneakiness and instead it's half that and half time trial sort of things where you want to go as fast as possible and only judged on time at the end of the level for unlocks. It was quicker to get through and simply more entertaining outside of a couple quirks that were frustrating in a couple spots.

I also finished a pre-Blitz game as I got through Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap today since I have Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom on my Blitz and wanted Wonder Boy out of the way first. I started up Monster Boy right after. It seems fine? Definitely appears like a longer more modern style game but also maybe due to the pulled-back look or something but it almost feels cheaper or something? Curious how I'll feel as I get deeper. Only played up to turning into a pig.

• Comfy
Reactions: Parsnip

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Finished The Swapper, that's one game done.
It's a great puzzle game, and kind of still to this day has a very unique mechanics and look to it. I at least can't think of anything that's quite like it off the top of my head. Maybe surprisingly short? I didn't check hltb for the length before and was a bit surprised when the ending came. Steam says 5.8 hours, and as I'm checking hltb now, 5h40m is the median and about 6 hours is the average for completionist. So it checks out.

I also finished a pre-Blitz game as I got through Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap today since I have Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom on my Blitz and wanted Wonder Boy out of the way first. I started up Monster Boy right after. It seems fine? Definitely appears like a longer more modern style game but also maybe due to the pulled-back look or something but it almost feels cheaper or something? Curious how I'll feel as I get deeper. Only played up to turning into a pig.
I think I remember it getting better as it went and you unlock more forms. Started a little lukewarm but ended up liking it quite a bit by the end. But it also kind of felt a bit by the numbers or something.

So I do like Wonder Boy remake more. Especially how it looks, the art style is just šŸ‘Øā€šŸ³:kissing-face-with-closed-eyes: .

Reactions: fearthedawn

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
I started to play Mega Man X5 from the legacy collection and already have some problems with the collection. First is that my monitor is set to 2560x1600 which is a 16:10 ratio, so playing the game in borderless fullscreen is not possible as the image is stretched out... And the I am not able to play in fullscreen either as the game doesn't have option for higher resolution than 1920x1080. I will get black borders if I set the game to fullscreen. I probably need to set monitors resolution to 1920x1080 when I play the game...

The second problem is the button inputs. I have noticed that some inputs don't register. This make a huge problem with platforming games as you have to be fast in certain areas. For example in the lava stage in MM X5 where you have to jump out of the armor suit almost instantly in order to grab the rope thingy. If you are not fast enough you will be killed by the lava.

Other non technical problems I got is that the game has too much hand holding, I just go a few steps and the stupid operator Alia has to interrupt me and teach me how to play the game. Just let me find out how to play through the stages.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Finished Evan's Remains a couple days ago and have been ruminating since what to write about it. It's listed as a puzzle platformer yet you spend ~90% of the time whatching "cutscenes", so in a way it's much more of a story-driven adventure with light puzzling, enphasys on the light, than anything else.
The puzzles are very basic and each of them can be done in a couple of minutes. There's about 20 of them which amounts to 30 to 40min of playtime and steam says I spent little over 3h playing this, so clearly the eggs where all put in the story basket. So, was the story any good? Yes and no. It purposefuly obfuscates the true persona of your character as a means to easily twist the story and motivations midway through, only to then twist it again a couple more times before the end, in an attempt to appear more clever than it really is, and it all leads to an ending that is a convoluted mess.

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Fourth Blitz game complete. Hadn't really intended to start Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom immediately but after going through Wonder Boy I wanted to see how it looked and played. The beginning hours aren't its strongest but as soon as you start unlocking more transformations it starts taking off. Lots of creative rooms and puzzles and the latter half can get pretty difficult. Really great time and I'm glad I finally got to it after putting it off for a couple years.

Only 428: Shibuya Scramble left. I'm already a few hours in but that'll be a slower burn as I chip away at it an hour or two at a time as I play other stuff.

• Eyes
Reactions: Spamlynguist

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I tried playing medieval remake but that game is as trash as I remembered it being on the PS1. I remain baffled how that game got a remake of all games.

I'm going to swap it out with that spongebob remaster that was given out recently. I never played that back in the day, heard it wasn't terrible.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Finished Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest which took about 19h.
It's a serviceable tactics rpg with uneven balancing, presentation and mechanics, meaning things shift from easy to hard to balanced at a moments notice over the course of a few turns and it feels you never are in full control of what's happening or what you can do, all you can do is damage control in each turn, which for a tactics game is a criminal sin.
On the positive side it is rather pretty and has good witty writing.