Community Backlog Blitz Season 13 - Runs October 1 through December 31 with a raffle at the end

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
We just finished a successful twelfth season of the Backlog Blitz. We have completed three whole years! Gosh, we're getting so old now starting up our fourth year. Having made it past our twelfth season it means that we have put Big Bang Theory, Murder She Wrote, and Two and a Half Men in the ground. Bazinga?! We had 21 participants with 102 game goals set and 68 of them were completed. Congrats on clearing out those backlogs! The rate of completion went back up around 5% after dropping last season so it looks like this was the Summer of Love Blitz? Ascheroth was the big winner this time with winning the raffle for completing A Plague Tale: Innocence. Make sure to congratulate them here or at the previous thread!

We've made it to quarter four of 2022. The end of the year approaches so it's time to get through those 2022 goals, Blitz or otherwise. This will be a challenge as the big games drop heavy this time of year and, if you're like me, you want to focus on 2022 releases and not your backlog. Good luck!

The spreadsheet has been updated, the prize pool has been reset. We'll start with $20.00 but chipping in is always welcome. The details to do so will be posted separately within the thread soon after we get started.

Pick your games accordingly!

What it is:

It's a simple way to clear out some backlog games. You select a number of specific games you want to complete and if you complete them in a set time frame you have a chance to pick a game of your choice within the prize limits.

Rules:

First off, there is no time limit on when you can join. If you come in late and only have a month left please feel free to join. Even one completed game will get you entered into the raffle detailed below.

Everyone shares the same rules so an agreed amount of time would be set (three months this time) and then a set amount of games you want to complete in that time (been using five games). You then pick your specific five games with the intention that you don't go changing it all the time. The idea isn't that once you beat some game you go and list it and mark it complete. Instead, you pick five games to complete at the start of the Blitz and ideally you complete them as well as anything else you want to finish in that time.

Prize:

In the end, I suggest a prize pool and a simple raffle done. I always chip in $20 to start it and accept any other additions. Raffle winners must use at least half but can go up to the full price of a game (capped at $60 if the prize pool gets large enough). Leftover goes to the next drawn winner until it gets down to $0 (or close enough at which point I'll just add it to the next Blitz).

Thoughts?

There's no entry fee or anything so there's really no loss for taking part or starting it and then ignoring it. It's just a fun way to clear out backlog games and have discussion about what you're completing. And commiserate if you pick a game you don't enjoy and sour one of your spots on your list.

I created the Google Sheet so feel free to add yourself and games:

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
I changed to a hide until replied as I think some people had issues with the hide until reacted. Ask any questions and sorry for those that already posted their new lists in the previous thread. Feel free to just post it again here as we continue for the next three months here.

Good luck, everyone!

Last edited:

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Thanks for another season, Wibblewozzer. Gonna give my best and try finish all my five games this time. But I'll consider a feat if I can finish three games again.

• Comfy
Reactions: Parsnip

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
Here we go again...

Nioh
Need for Speed (2015)
Little Big Adventure 2
Unravel
The Walking Dead: A New Frontier

• Comfy

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Let's see if I can finish three games this time

1. Judgment -> Already playing and 2/3 to the main story, but I aim for all cheevos so this will be a long ride
2. Dragon Quest X Offline -> No hope in finishing this one. But I am adding it here because it will be my next big game
3. KONOHANA: True Report -> A visual novel from the PS1 era. Shouldn't take too much time. But I am playing it on a PS3 which means I couldn't play it on the go
4. Bombslinger -> Not sure what should I expect from this one. Wildcard
5. The Witness -> The legendary puzzle game that I have been wanting to play for a long time. Perfect for the deck

Last edited:
  • Comfy
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
If anyone wishes to chip-in the ways to do so are right here:

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

• Comfy
Reactions: gabbo and Parsnip

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Time to ramble about video games for yet another season! :flare_lmao:

My picks:

Trails from Zero
Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XV
Yakuza 3
Atelier Totori

• Comfy
Reactions: Parsnip and Cacher
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
My five games:

Zero Time Dilemma
Assassin's Creed Odyssey (have DLC but probably worry about those later)
Mega Man Zero 4
Record of Lodoss War-Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth
Song of the Deep

Time to ramble about video games for yet another season! :flare_lmao:

My picks:

Trails from Zero
Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XV
Yakuza 3
Atelier Totori
I nearly picked Atelier Totori but changed my mind because in the last quarter I usually try to focus on games from that year so I didn't want yet another long Blitz game since I have ZTD (20ish hours) and Assassin's Creed Odyssey (don't know what to expect but probably like 60+ hours? 80?). In the end I swapped it out with Song of the Deep.

• Comfy
Reactions: Parsnip and Kvik

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
My picks:
  • Utawarerumono: Prelude to the Fallen
  • Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception
  • Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth
  • Trails from Zero
  • Yakuza 4

• Comfy

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Had such a terrible Blitz last time. Picked 5 games and didn't play any of them thanks to new releases and a Persona 4 Golden re-run. Some of them have even disappeared off my backlog because I've just had to come to accept that I'll never play them.

I'm playing Return to Monkey Island right now, and once I'm done with that I'm gonna hit my backlog. Here's my 5 for this go around.
  1. Lost Judgment (PC) - Coming back from my last Blitz, however the platform has changed. I played the PS5 version of Judgment, and now I'm in the process of selling my PS5 so I grabbed Lost Judgment on Steam for the next iteration.
  2. Immortality (PC) - Her Story was great. Telling Lies was not great. I'm hoping Immortality tows a line between the two and does some good and interesting stuff.
  3. God of War (PC) - Time to see if this game is as good as the hype machine says it is.
  4. Citizen Sleeper (PC) - Love the cyberpunk aesthetic of this and I'm looking for an interesting story-driven game.
  5. Jack Move (PC) - Some people have said this is a fun RPG. Visually it looks nice, so I'm looking forward to trying it out for that reason alone.
As always, there are releases in the next 3 months that could threaten my progress on this Blitz.

Persona 5 Royal, Signalis and Bayonetta 3 are the main ones I'm considering getting. I might get Crisis Core FF7 too.

Edit: Striking off the two long games and replacing them with Journey and VirtuaVerse. I tried Lost Judgment and just wasn't in the mood for a super long game, so anything longer than 15 hours is getting put on the back burner for now.

Last edited:
  • Comfy

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Congrats Ascheroth !

Managed to finish all of mine in the previous blitz. Huzzah!

I have some plans for this one but not at home at the moment so I'll likely put mine down later today.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Well, I'm in
My picks this time are
1. Kanon (Deck)
2. Immortals: Fenyx Rising (PC)
3. Immortality (PC, may also stream to Deck, we'll see)
4. Tinykin (PC)
5. Collar X Malice (Switch version on Deck).

• Comfy
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Ascheroth made their prize pick and there was some leftover prize pool money so there was a second raffle drawing and the second winner was Derrick01 for completing Street Fighter V, so congrats goes to him for winning as well. He already picked his prize so there won't be a third winner and the remaining funds are added to the current prize pool for this Blitz.

The Prize Pool will start at $21.56 this time and if anyone chips in using the information posted earlier in the thread then I'll make sure to update everyone here.

• Comfy

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
Games for me this blitz:

1) Judgement - Finished chapter 4 last night. Also unlocked tiger drop which makes the combat at least bearable. It's sad that even after dozens of Yakuza games & spin-offs, RGG still hasn't figured out how to implement a proper lock-on system.
2) No More Heroes 3
3) Bayonetta 3
4) Spiderman: Miles Morales
5) OPEN

So many games I'd like to play coming out in Oct/Nov so I'll leave the last two slots open for now.

Last edited:
  • Comfy

Spamlynguist

I can never decide on an avatar
Dec 31, 2018
Here we go again, halloween flavoured this time:

• DUSK
  • The Excavation of Hob's Barrow
  • Mothmen 1966
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition

• Comfy

Ibuki

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Colorado, USA
I'll give it a shot this time. Good encouragement to keep going with my backlog.

1.) The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
2.) Bayonetta 2
3.) Yakuza Kiwami 2
4.) DUSK
5.) Ghostwire: Tokyo

• Comfy

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
There's a lot of new releases coming these next few months (for a change this year...) so I'm not sure how many actual "backlog" games I'll be able to fit in. I don't really like to put more than 2 new releases on these lists, just a personal quirk of mine.

For now I'll go with

Expeditions Rome
Triangle Strategy
Total Warhammer 2
A Plague Tale Requiem
Chernobylite

• Comfy
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Games for me this blitz:

1) Judgement - Finished chapter 4 last night. Also unlocked tiger drop which makes the combat at least bearable. It's sad that even after dozens of Yakuza games & spin-offs, RGG still hasn't figured out how to implement a proper lock-on system.
2) No More Heroes 3
3) Triangle Strategy
4) LEFT OPEN
5) LEFT OPEN

So many games I'd like to play coming out in Oct/Nov so I'll leave the last two slots open for now.
Don't forget to add to the spreadsheet so you're up for the raffle at the end.
I'll give it a shot this time. Good encouragement to keep going with my backlog.

1.) The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
2.) Bayonetta 2
3.) Yakuza Kiwami 2
4.) DUSK
5.) Ghostwire: Tokyo
Which Trails in the Sky? First Chapter?

And Ghostwire: Tokyo isn't exactly the most popular game or as well received as I'd hope this year, but I recently completed it and had a great time.

• Comfy
Reactions: Parsnip and Ibuki

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Alright, here's my 5.

1. Lords of the Fallen
Finally going to play this, quite curious about it. Opencritic has it at 69 :coffee-blob: but some of the reviews score it higher to like 8.5 and such. I played like 30 minutes of it yesterday and first impressions aren't really great, but we'll see.
2.Super Mario Bros. 2.
I started a no warp SMB "project" at the end of 2020, it's time for it to continue. Back then I played through SMB1 and SMB2 (j) aka The Lost Levels. The Famicom version specifically. Anyways, next is the SMB2 we got, aka Doki Doki Panic.
3. Paradise Killer
I had this in 2 previous blitzes! First time I didn't find the time to play it due to Elden Ring, second time I bumped it away for Axiom Verge 2.
4. Outland
Finally time to play this Housemarque game before the dev makes a triumphant return to PC with Returnal. 🇫🇮
5. Pikuniku
I had this in a previous blitz as a replacement for FFX, but then didn't have time to finish it due to Elden Ring. And the second time l bumped it for Horizon Zero Dawn.

I actually think that this time I'll finish the games I bumped previously.
And I'm also thinking about the other games I bumped previously and I'll probably tackle those too in the coming months, but outside the blitz. Though, some of this is going to depend on P5R.

Ibuki

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Colorado, USA
Which Trails in the Sky? First Chapter?

And Ghostwire: Tokyo isn't exactly the most popular game or as well received as I'd hope this year, but I recently completed it and had a great time.
Yep! I've finally decided to take a crack at this series. Putting SC on this list as well seemed a bit ambitious.

Regarding Ghostwire, I didn't really hear a lot of people talking about it after launch. I'm excited to try it for myself.

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I basically lost the urge to game over the last quarter, only finished 1 listed game and 1 other.. And then I got covid two weeks ago.
Hoping 4th quarter will see more games completed.
-edit, nvm:
  • Dusk
  • Praey for the Gods
  • Gears Tactics
  • AWAY - The Survival Series
  • Drakan: The Ancients Gates

Last edited:
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Jumped the gun and completed my first game. Put an obscene amount of time into Zero Time Dilemma yesterday and today and wrapped it up with a platinum trophy. I know this is often less liked than the other two games and I don't get it. I think I'd put this one at the top as the series improved with each entry. Really cool stuff and now I'm eager to start up AI: The Somnium Files. But not right away. Probably do some more Blitz stuff and some 2022 games.

Reactions: Ibuki
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
And third game down. I planned to knock out Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth tomorrow by getting into it today and doing the second half tomorrow if possible. Instead it's a few hours shorter than I expected and I just did the last 80% of the game today without any problem. Pretty fun, though as a Metroidvania it's fairly basic (but leagues better than Touhou Luna Nights). Very combat heavy which ultimately meant I didn't care about exploring in the end so I didn't get 100% of the map but I'm still satisfied with the game.

Only have Mega Man Zero 4 (another short game) and Assassin's Creed Odyssey (oof) remaining and will likely do Odyssey next and do it a bit at a time as I play non-Blitz stuff.

• Comfy

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Changed two of my games. I wasn't feeling Lost Judgment and I've decided I've had enough of long games for the rest of the year so I took God of War off. They're just too damned long!

Instead I've decided to play games shorter than 15 hours. Shorter than 10 if possible. First up was Journey and, as expected, I finished it in one setting.

Immortality next.

• Comfy

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
Unravel: decent platformer but I don't think it lives up to the hype it got when released.

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Remove Dragon Quest X Offline because it doesn't run "offline" on steam (lol). Not sure the replacement yet so I will just leave it blank for now.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Ok let's do this:
  • Disco Elysium
  • Tactics Ogre: Reborn (if I find a good deal for it before launch otherwise I'll just exchange it with Xenonauts)
  • Paradise Killer
  • Pumpkin Jack
  • Songbird Symphony

• Comfy
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Deku ganmo Just wanted to check if you two plan to take part or pass this time. I keep you on the spreadsheet each time since you've linked your name but I can remove you this time if you'd like.

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
Deku ganmo Just wanted to check if you two plan to take part or pass this time. I keep you on the spreadsheet each time since you've linked your name but I can remove you this time if you'd like.
I'll be joining. Have to be motivated to play games from the pile :D

So far for now I will at least be playing

1. Okami HD

The rest I will have to figure out the go ;)

Last edited:
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
You can remove me from this season. I am going to take a break from the blitz. Maybe for the next blitz I come back
I'll be joining. Have to be motivated to play games from the pile :D
All good, I know some people join late so I just wanted to check in just in case. No pressure either way, just keeping the tracker organized.

Reactions: ganmo

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Immortality wasn’t for me. It has all the pitfalls of Telling Lies and none of the good stuff. I don’t think I’ll play Barlow’s next game because I think he’s a one-trick pony.

So I started Citizen Sleeper and oh my god, what a game. Possible GOTY candidate for me.

Replaced Immortality with The Pedestrian, but I’m gonna play Jack Move next.

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Immortality wasn’t for me. It has all the pitfalls of Telling Lies and none of the good stuff. I don’t think I’ll play Barlow’s next game because I think he’s a one-trick pony.

So I started Citizen Sleeper and oh my god, what a game. Possible GOTY candidate for me.

Replaced Immortality with The Pedestrian, but I’m gonna play Jack Move next.
Immortality might end up one of my biggest disappoints of the year. I didn't outright dislike it, but I think I ultimately enjoyed just watching the movies in the game more than figuring out any of the actual mystery stuff. It was too artsy for me, in that regard, and as soon as I triggered the ending I moved on since I didn't care to hunt out every single scene or whatever.

The Pedestrian is a pretty solid puzzle game. I had a good time with it, has some tricky bits here and there, and some fun mechanics.

Reactions: C-Dub

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Finished Lords of the Fallen.

Kind of a big meh in the end. It has multiple endings but I have zero interest in doing ng+ or more. Also going to skip the dlc.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I finished Paradise Killer, just need to check a few things about it and its structure that I'm curious about before I'm moving on.

Will probably play a non-blitz game next.

Now in correct thread.

:wd_warren:

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Forgot to update last night that I finished my fourth game, Assassin's Creed Odyssey. A damned fine time and I did a ton of the content but I left the DLC to do later. But really glad I caught up on all the series to get into the modern games as this is now my favorite in the series and I'm eager to get to Valhalla as well.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Added back a game: Super Mario RPG on the SNES. Haven't played this game for 20 years, and it feels good to play it again. I still remember some tracks, boss encounters and dungeons after all these years although forgotten the story completely.

Also swapped KONOHANA to Poison Control on Switch. Saw a cheap copy and thought NISA will never bring it to PC, so I grabbed it. Gameplay is janky third person shooter, but the writing so far seems interesting enough.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Finished 2 games over the past week:
  • Songbird Symphony - It's cute and sweet but it barely qualifies as a game. The gameplay revolves around rythm minigames, which are the bane of my existence, but with no fail state there's no challenge and nothing to be gained. I give it a pass because it at least tried something different.
  • Paradise Killer - Had a great time with it. It felt weird in the beginning but after getting used to it it's an amazing game. I also wasn't expecting metaphysical thruthbombs right at the end...

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
And fifth game completed. Was planning on waiting for some time to get through Mega Man Zero 4 but I hopped into it on a whim and they simplified some stuff from the previous games so it was real quick to go through.

Now I can relax and focus on 2022 games and other stuff (though I say that but I've already started up Mega Man ZX and will likely go through it over the next week).

Finished 2 games over the past week:
  • Songbird Symphony - It's cute and sweet but it barely qualifies as a game. The gameplay revolves around rythm minigames, which are the bane of my existence, but with no fail state there's no challenge and nothing to be gained. I give it a pass because it at least tried something different.
  • Paradise Killer - Had a great time with it. It felt weird in the beginning but after getting used to it it's an amazing game. I also wasn't expecting metaphysical thruthbombs right at the end...

Songbird Symphony is one of those games that makes me wonder if everyone is just collectively crazy or there's some conspiracy to gaslight me into thinking it's a good game. Especially the months around its release I saw gifs of it constantly and people are talking it up and I finally played it and it's a very average rhythm game with some decent enough art. I have since strongly pushed people to not play it.

If you want a game that improves on it in essentially every way (and the music/rhythm is more a part of the story instead of scored) give Wandersong a shot. I thought the gameplay wasn't the highlight but it's decent enough but I really loved the writing and by the end I was really glad I got through it.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Songbird Symphony is one of those games that makes me wonder if everyone is just collectively crazy or there's some conspiracy to gaslight me into thinking it's a good game. Especially the months around its release I saw gifs of it constantly and people are talking it up and I finally played it and it's a very average rhythm game with some decent enough art. I have since strongly pushed people to not play it.

If you want a game that improves on it in essentially every way (and the music/rhythm is more a part of the story instead of scored) give Wandersong a shot. I thought the gameplay wasn't the highlight but it's decent enough but I really loved the writing and by the end I was really glad I got through it.

Yeah, Wandersong is absolutely lovely. One of the best games of recent years. Their next game, Chicory, is equally amazing.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Finished plague tale requiem. It's a game that hangs around a bit too long and runs out of ideas near the end but it was quite the ride overall. It's definitely a different game from the first one in tone and scope, it's a lot darker (somehow) and even kind of brutal at times. It's not on the level of torture porn that last of us 2 was but it did remind me of that game at times as the characters are put through hell multiple times and it can be a little uncomfortable. But Amicia's VA really sells the performance and leaves it all out there. I have to imagine she's a lock for the VA award at TGA this year right now.

Reactions: C-Dub

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
Finished Nioh, pretty good souls-like with a deeper combat system. I ended up playing as a glass cannon ninja, I usually favor strength/poise builds so it was a nice change of pace/experience. If you have it on your backlog play it,

That's 2 out of 5.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Finally beat my first game.
Dusk definitely feels like someone trying to make Quake in 2022. Not really big on a lot of aspects of retro shooters, but I liked this one and it's 'scary' atmosphere (giant mouths with stick figure bodies is goofy schlock, but fun schlock).

Reactions: Cacher and lashman

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
Finished The Walking Dead The Final Frontier. Looks like your choices became more important than in previous games, this time I started The Final Season just so I could import the save from the previous game, I'm going to complete it this season despite not being part of my chosen games.

According to Steam I played Season 2 in 2014, thats a very big gap.

Thats 3 out 5.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Finished Outland. It's fine. I don't mind whole polarity switching mechanic during the main levels, but in boss battles and the last boss in particular it's easy to kind of lose track of your dude inside the bullethell crap and that's not fun.

With that I have just Super Mario Bros 2 left. I started my non warp run for it a while back and plopped a save state at the beginning on world 3 I think, few more to go.