Community Backlog Blitz (with raffle prize at the end)

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Would there be interest in starting up a cycling Backlog Blitz here?

What it is:

It's a simple way to clear out some backlog games. You select a number of specific games you want to complete and if you complete them in a set time frame you have a chance to pick a game of your choice within the prize limits.

I took the name from whoever started it originally at on the PC Era Discord (so if you're here, thanks!) and I see that threads for it come up at ResetEra and NeoGAF in past years with different rules. Check below if interested to see how I'm proposing it'd be done.

Rules:

Everyone shares the same rules so an agreed amount of time would be set (three months is what we've used so far) and then a set amount of games you want to complete in that time (been using five games). You then pick your specific five games with the intention that you don't go changing it all the time. The idea isn't that once you beat some game you go and list it and mark it complete. Instead you pick five games to complete at the start of the Blitz and ideally you complete them as well as anything else you want to finish in that time.

It's all tracked on a Google Sheet that's public. Not sure if that would still work with posting it openly here so that might have to change.

Prize:

In the end I suggest a prize pool and a simple raffle done. For the PC Era Discord I always chip in $20 to start it and accept any other additions (the first time we had around $50, this time we have $35). Raffle winners must use at least half but can go up to the full price of a game (capped at $60 if the prize pool got large enough). Leftover goes to the next drawn winner until it gets down to $0 (or close enough at which point I'll just add it to the next Blitz).

Thoughts?

Mainly curious if there's enough interest here. There's no entry fee or anything so there's really no loss for taking part or starting it and then ignoring it. It's just a fun way to clear out backlog games and have discussion about what you're completing. And commiserate if you pick a game you don't enjoy and sour one of your spots on your list. Also, I'd suggest if we do start it up that we run it through the end of the year.

I created the Google Sheet so feel free to add yourself and games and we'll see if this gets going:

Hidden content
You need to react to this post in order to see this content.

Last edited:

Rockin' Ranger

Rangers With Candy
Nov 7, 2018
I'm in for this one to.

First thoughts for my games.
1. The Dark Pictures: Man of Medan
2. Blair Witch
3. Analogue: A Hate Story
4. SoulSet
5. BloodRayne 2

Since this is overlapping with Spooktober I'm going for games I'll be looking to play then.

Last edited:
Reactions: teezzy and Routa
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Not much action here but just noting there's already eight participants that have set up their lists. So looks like this is good to go and welcome anyone else to join.

To address a few things asked or may get asked:

• Can you include games you've already started?
    • Sure. I suggest not picking all games that you're right at the end but it's for you to clear your backlog so whatever works.
  • Can you include DLC as a separate game?
    • Yup, that's fine. It's your call and aside from maybe some ribbing nobody will likely care at all.
  • What if you don't like settling on five games and you tend to bounce between stuff?
    • You can either list multiple games in a single cell if you're trying to decide between them, or probably easier, just list one game and swap it for something else if another game jumps to the forefront of your attention.
  • Can you just leave it blank and fill in games as you complete them?
    • You could but that's where it starts losing the point of the whole thing. The idea is largely to plan to get through some backlog games you've been wanting to play but kept putting off for whatever reason.
  • Can you include new games or games coming out soon?
    • That's fine. Maybe not truly "backlog" but they affect your backlog all the same so there's no harm there. Besides, I did it on my own list of five games.

That should cover most things. Usually towards the end of the Blitz period there's some questions about the prize pool so I'll discuss those when it gets closer to that time near the end of December.

Spamlynguist

I can never decide on an avatar
Dec 31, 2018
Well, I managed to make a list! Here's what I'm going with:

• 428 Shibuya Scramble
  • The Hex
  • The Messenger
  • To The Moon
  • RiME

Last edited:

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I'm down for this, I'll just have to take a look at steam/gog/etc when I get home to make my list.
Something to drive me to finish will be a good thing.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
This is a very good idea. I'm currently doing the RPG blitz too, so this will be perfect for tackling more games in between. But is it limited to PC games only? Can handhelds or console games allowed?

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
This is a very good idea. I'm currently doing the RPG blitz too, so this will be perfect for tackling more games in between. But is it limited to PC games only? Can handhelds or console games allowed?
The sky's the limit. I suppose keeping it to electronic games is maybe a restriction but honestly if someone listed something like a D&D campaign or some other tabletop thing they're working through then I know I wouldn't really care.

It's essentially just an extra push to clear some gaming goals with a prize at the end for a lucky one or two people. The prize is meant to help give that extra little incentive if needed.

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata
I'm in with:

GreedFall (hopefully)
Gears 5 (gamepass)
The Technomancer (playing it now) Swapped for Amid Evil since I really wasn't feeling Technomancer
and Dragon Grandpa 1 and 2

Last edited:
Reactions: Spamlynguist

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
So my 5 after some inspection:
Ion Fury - am currently playing this
Fer Effect Sedna
Pathologic 2
Armored Kitten - have started this
Paratopic

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
My list isn't complete yet. Still deciding whether to join the VN bookclub for this month or not.

List complete.

Analogue: A Hate Story/Hate Plus (PC)
Muv-Luv Alternative (PC)
Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht (PS2)
Resonance of Fate (PC)
Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth (PS4)

I'll post my impressions in the RPG or VN threads and cross-posted it here.

Last edited:
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
My list isn't complete yet. Still deciding whether to join the VN bookclub for this month or not.

Muv-Luv Alternative (PC)
Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht (PS2)
Resonance of Fate (PC)
Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth (PS4)
Two birds and one stone it by listing Analogue: A Hate Story as one of your five for that extra push? Many of my selections are games I already had selected as backlog titles for the coming months so I'm completing both objectives in one go.

And on that note I've already finished one of my five:

The Witcher 3
Evil Within 2
The Dark Pictures: Man of Medan
Ghosts of Miami
Furi
Might be a good excuse to finish those games I've started but forgotten about!

• ReCore
  • Quantum Break (PC)
  • Jim is Moving Out
  • American Fugitive
  • Darksiders III
I'm honestly a little surprised you'd list Recore after my less than wonderful words about it the other day.
So my 5 after some inspection:
Ion Fury - am currently playing this
Fer Effect Sedna
Pathologic 2
Armored Kitten - have started this
Paratopic
Don't forget to add them to the Google Sheet. You can see it by liking the first post.

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Two birds and one stone it by listing Analogue: A Hate Story as one of your five for that extra push? Many of my selections are games I already had selected as backlog titles for the coming months so I'm completing both objectives in one go.
Yeah, this is exactly what I'm thinking, to tell you the truth. I've looked into the games and they sound interesting so I'll probably grab the games tonight when I get home and update the spreadsheet.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Interesting!

My backlog is full of long-ass RPGs lol. I'm not sure if I can beat them by December but I guess I'll look into them later today. Since I can include a new game (Greedfall), I guess that means a game off my checklist.

What I have in mind for now:
  • Greedfall
  • Fallout 3
  • FFXIV Stormblood
  • Mutant Year Zero
  • The Outer Worlds

So yeah, there's no way I'm finishing them by December.

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
Alright, let's do this:
  • Ao no Kiseki
  • The House in Fata Morgana
  • Shadow of the Colossus (PS4)
  • Demon Souls (RPCS3)
  • Ys IX: Monstrum Nox
Obviously, I've got my work cut out for me here.

Reactions: Kvik

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
Uhm, I do need some incentives to finish more games... ok, let's see:

- Assassin's Creed Odyssey: will I be able to finally finish this? Who knows! After almost 200 hours I hope so, but I'm still missing 5 of the 6 DLC episodes... I estimate another 50 hours at least.

- Greedfall: I've already pre-ordered it and I really can't wait to try it :longswordblob:

- Children of Morta: pre-ordered this as well, forgot it was coming out tomorrow, might as well actually put it on the list and play it.

- SteamWorld Quest: I've already started this, I'm a couple of hours into it.

- The Dark Pictures: Man of Medan: I've tried it for a couple of minutes last Saturday. As it's pretty short, I'm confident I'll be able to finish it at least once!

Taborcarn

Battle Santa
Feb 28, 2019
I’m on my third RPG backlog blitz in a row, but not sure if I’ll join here. Feels almost like cheating if I double dip.

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I’m on my third RPG backlog blitz in a row, but not sure if I’ll join here. Feels almost like cheating if I double dip.
Which is why my set of 5 games here are different with my set in RPG blitz. Bold strategy, I know. I expect to fail spectacularly.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I have no problem completing games, but I do this in a quite chaotic way, and some games get 'lost' even though I quite like them.
Wasn't sure if I should join, since come mid-October I will mostly be occupied by Digimon but don't think I will finish it, so I have effectly only half the time (but not really, I guess).

• Danganronpa 2
  • Wandersong: started this a while ago and play it ocassionally, but I feel like it's losing priority
  • World of Final Fantasy: this is a curious one, I absolutely love it when I play it, but I have troubles actually clicking that play button, might as well give myself a reason to
  • Analogue: A Hate Story: wanted to play this not too long ago but never did, and now with it being the VN club game I have even more reason to change that
  • Saya no Uta: I haven't even bought the game yet, but I plan to do that during the Halloween sale unless I end up getting it earlier somehow :p
Edit: Oh wait, I just saw the deadline is end of December and not November as I assumed, that changes things (or does it? :thinking-face: )
I could replace one of the games with Digimon.

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
My decision to finish the last two thirds of Atelier Sophie became a decision to finish the last three thirds of the game, after it decided that I wasn't allowed to load my old save games, some 20 hours into the story. I might have to replace one of the other, longer titles, or I probably won't be able to find time to finish everything this year.

Reactions: Milena

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I've started with my first blitz game, Analogue: A Hate Story. I wrote a brief impression here:

There are spoilers about, of course.

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
fixed for me
You've got four months to get through the games, don't be too worried if you play other stuff as well.

I have ten games between two Blitzes and neither contain Control or Gears 5 but I've put time into both. And I've knocked out one of my ten games. Just set some time aside between the new stuff to clear out backlog games.

My hardest thing to time-budget is my monthly games I decided on separately. This month my goal is to complete Watch Dogs 2, and by extension Watch Dogs. I left myself the option to skip Watch Dogs if I decide I'm not into it now, though.

There's so much to play right now.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Kinda forgot to submit my entry in the google docs, just done it earlier. I'm still not sure what to put for my 5th game though.

Currently finishing Fallout 3. I'm actually at the very last main quest but this is possibly the hardest mission ever so far. Because it keeps crashing on the bridge while following the goddamn robot %(!*%)(#@&!

Rockin' Ranger

Rangers With Candy
Nov 7, 2018
You've got four months to get through the games, don't be too worried if you play other stuff as well.

I have ten games between two Blitzes and neither contain Control or Gears 5 but I've put time into both. And I've knocked out one of my ten games. Just set some time aside between the new stuff to clear out backlog games.

My hardest thing to time-budget is my monthly games I decided on separately. This month my goal is to complete Watch Dogs 2, and by extension Watch Dogs. I left myself the option to skip Watch Dogs if I decide I'm not into it now, though.

There's so much to play right now.
I've got fifteen games across three but am off to a pretty good start so far. I've finished three games so far in Blackberry Honey, Analogue, and Man of Medan while being about 60% the way through Yoku's Island Express and just starting Brilliant Shadows and playing about half an hour so far. I should have a much better showing than the last period where I beat 2/5 in one and 3/5 in the other.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
I found the problem, it was the enb affecting the weather causing the crashes.

So I finally did it. The accursed Fallout 3 is finally beaten after all these years. Played it at launch, played it a few years later, I never be able to actually finish the main story. I always got sidetracked somewhere in the final stretch of the game, or broken my game due to installing too many mods and never bothered with the game again. It's such a huge relief lol.

Spamlynguist

Dec 31, 2018
Finished up To The Moon on GOG yesterday, I really liked it! I did wish the characters moved a little bit faster though.

Might switch RiME with something different, not really feeling that game right now.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Borderlands 3 hype out there reminds me of something, I haven't finished Borderlands 2.

I guess I'll put that in my backlog list. Will jump in after I'm done with GreedFall. :pirateblob:

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
I finished Analogue: A Hate Story a few days ago (still need to post about it in the book club thread, lol) so that makes #3 of my list.
Also played through a chapter of World of Final Fantasy so thread has already succeeded as far as I'm considered.

I'm thinking of changing Saya no Uta to Romancing SaGa 2 on my list. Mainly because I haven't even bought Saya, lol. And with 2 new SaGa games releasing this year, it reminded me that I still haven't played it much.

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
For people rushing through these and will be done well ahead of time one thing you can do is add a new tab on the Sheet for yourself and just track your own game completions or set your own goals? I have no problem adding other tabs to it.

Another option that's in no way required is you can replace completed games with non-completed games if you really want just for that extra push to play more of your backlog? It seems a few of you are going to finish your five games super early.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
^^
I did that last time around on the era blitz, but decided that since I'm now on two blitzes I would move my tab into its own docu and add the lists from my old "52 games a year" challenges into it as tabs. When neogaf imploded I just quickly copied my stuff from there into a word doc, time to put it all into a nice and clean sheet.

Work in progress.
I only have 2014 filled up from the back catalogue, and I also didn't record dates back then so the format is different, but eh.

Ibuki

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Colorado, USA
I'm gonna take a look at my list and probably do what you suggested and replace Control and Borderlands 2 with more games. 5 games by Dec 31st should still be something I can reasonably do. Thinking about throwing in Yakuza Kiwami 1 and 2 to the mix, and maybe a few other things I've been waiting to play for a long time.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I actually also did some swapping and put Yakuza 0 in instead of Valkyrie Chronicles.

So now my list is:
The Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky
SteamWorld Heist
Yakuza 0 (installing right now :eek:)
Subsurface Circular
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (completed)

Feels like a good balance of different sized games with two long ones, two average (I guess) and one short.

Spamlynguist

Dec 31, 2018
Switched out RiME with Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, figured that would keep me busy a little longer :steam_pigblanket:

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
I finished 3 of my 5 list games (and 2 others :whistle: ), but now that I swapped Saya to Romancing SaGa, those remaining 2 will take me quite a while still.
Especially because it's not like I'm going to stop playing other games now and then.