News Baldur's Gate III (Larian) - coming to Earrly Access in October 2020

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
Just watched the trailer, that was so good. I may purchase BG3 even though I never played the older games before.

Reactions: lashman

Anoregon

Dec 21, 2018
I'm planning to start a full BG1 through ToB run but I'm not sure what character to roll. I'm thinking either Blade (bard), Archer (ranger), or just a regular ol Fighter/Thief multiclass. I've already done pure wizard/sorc and a few types of fighter/mage.

Gengis Khan

Goodfella
Jan 26, 2019
Italy
mgmboxeisland.com

I've taken part in three lengthy conversations defending the merits of RTwP combat today, and I generally prefer (good) TB.. What am I doing?
Hey, I wouldn't dismiss RTwP as a deal breaker. After all BG2 is among my all time favorites.
It's just the inferior option and I can choose I'm striving for the top here!

Not to mention I'm not THAT confident in Larian's ability to pull off a GOOD rtwp system as I am in their familiarity with turn-based combat.
Expected but dammit, I still want Dark Alliance 3!! :persevering-face:
I think we need a thumb down button.

Reactions: lashman and Dandy

Xagarath

Scribbler
Dec 31, 2018
www.goodreads.com
Larian are good people and I'm cautiously interested, but they've got a very high bar to clear here. Even DOS2 didn't have the ridiculous breadth and variety of BG2, and no other RPG since has managed it either.

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
As much as ppl obsess over mind flayers, they actually don't play a huge role in BG2. Not as big as I remember in the Underdark.

I skipped BG1 so maybe they play a large role there? Dobut it tho.
I need to subscribe to Larian's channel to consume all BG3 content

You can at Baldur's Gate III

Larian's PR sent me a press release referring to this "sneak peek" too.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
As much as ppl obsess over mind flayers, they actually don't play a huge role in BG2. Not as big as I remember in the Underdark.

I skipped BG1 so maybe they play a large role there? Dobut it tho.
I'd argue that mindflayers are memorable because they can easily kill your party and mess up strategies that work in almost all the other encounters.

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
Winke must be in the top 3 of gaming industry's most likeable people.

He feels genuinely excited about his projects which helps building this excitement to their audience quite easy.

Reactions: Stevey and lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Winke must be in the top 3 of gaming industry's most likeable people.

He feels genuinely excited about his projects which helps building this excitement to their audience quite easy.
yeah, Swen's awesome! that's why i'm so happy they're still doing those vlogs for BG3 too!

Reactions: Stevey and m_dorian

Anoregon

Dec 21, 2018
We all should. I settled on Half-orc Fighter/thief for the run I'm planning to start this weekend.

Reactions: Dandy

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I should play Baldur's Gate
I should re-play it. I played the original games(maybe not Throne of Bhaal?) but I bought the EE version of BG1 when it was on sale with the intention replaying it. For whatever reason I lost interest after 13 hours.

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018

I've been thinking a lot about all the possibilities involving Illithids as the focus of the campaign. I know a few people have already mentioned the possibility of it transforming into a Spelljammer campaign. They've already confirmed the Nautiloid in the teaser trailer.

I really hope we get a better idea of how the game will play before E3 is over.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
There's actually a lot of hidden stuff in BG2 that points to a huge Mind Flayer group called "The Hidden" infiltrating Amn and taking over Athkatlan nobility. It seems like it ended up as cut content at some point, but there are things that tie the small group of mind flayers in the Athkatla sewers with a dude named Tazok and the de'Arnise keep questline. Stuff like... Umber Hulks being in the keep and digging down. Down to what? Ithilids generally don't go above ground and use monsters like Umber Hulks to do their work. A note mentioning "The Hidden" also talks about recruiting more people to their cause. There is a noble in the city proper you can discover is really a mind flayer and he implies several other noble families might also be in on it. The Twisted Rune is sort of implicated as possibly being under their control as well. However none of it really culminates in anything directly. Seems like there was a plan to unify it all and it was cut or they took the story in a different direction.

I'd argue that mindflayers are memorable because they can easily kill your party and mess up strategies that work in almost all the other encounters.
Yeah if you're playing BG2 you 100% NEED to get Chaotic Commands, I honestly have no idea how you're supposed to get through those enemies as a melee class without it. It will immunize your big fighter folk. Otherwise they fail 1 save and its RIP your party.

Invisibility and lots of backstabs can work too, but man its way harder. I think Chaotic Commands is the best counter, but tons of summons also works. Though actually tons of summons works pretty well for most fights in the game LOL.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019

Interview with Swen about BG3.

-There will be returning characters from the previous games.
-They are adapting 5E, but some stuff is changed because not everything would work well in a videogame.
-There will be environmental interaction like in DOS2(ie: throwing a table).
-Will be as linear/non-linear as DOS2/BG2 - so semi linear, but with lots of freedom to do things in the order you want.
-No importing BG1/2 saves.
-100+ hours for completionist playthrough.
-Traditional D&D classes - trying to implement them according to the books.
-There will be subclasses.
-No comment on DM mode and modding tools.

Last edited:

Taborcarn

Battle Santa
Feb 28, 2019
Also worth noting this will be using the next version of Larian's own engine. So Dragon Commander was version 1.0 of the engine, D:OS was 2.0, D:OS2 was 3.0, D:OS2 Enhanced was 3.5, BG3 is 4.0.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Also, while Swen clearly doesn't want to talk about multiplayer specifics yet, he says it's a further evolution of D:OS2 and that gathering your party is a significant aspect of the game. I take that to mean that it will be a case of additional players taking over pre-made NPCs more than people adding more custom PCs, but that's just my interpretation (and what I think would make more sense for a game like this)

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Also, while Swen clearly doesn't want to talk about multiplayer specifics yet, he says it's a further evolution of D:OS2 and that gathering your party is a significant aspect of the game. I take that to mean that it will be a case of additional players taking over pre-made NPCs more than people adding more custom PCs, but that's just my interpretation (and what I think would make more sense for a game like this)
Yeah, I really prefer that to another main character showing up.

Reactions: QFNS

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
IDK, my encounter with them was relatively uneventful. I had a lot of mirror/reflect.

What gave me problems were the stacks of level-downs from vampires when I on the hunt for Bohdi. Oh, and of course, Demi-liches.

Bohdi was thick years before that became a meme. I...would entertain the thought of her biting me.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Hype levels through the roof.

I'm sure what they'll be announcing isn't the game or the release (it seems too soon), but maybe its a video series like they did for D:OS1 & 2, which would be rad. Bascially if you want me to be excited all you need to do is make any sort of BG3 annoucement.

Reactions: lashman and Dandy

Sygmaelle

MetaMember
Sep 8, 2019
The graphics have obviously aged, but everyone should experience D&D in some form, and this is the definitive way.
yeah, ive always been utterly bored trying to play them when I was young but since I've loved PoE / Neverwinter Nights recently, I'm guessing I should give it another go

Reactions: Phoenix RISING