News [Bar Leak/Rumor 2.0] PlayStation 2 Classic and Piranha Bytes game coming to Epic Game Store

the_marmolade

La-li-lu-le-lo
Sep 19, 2018
From the one only Bar Leaker who told us about Metro coming to EGS!
since i was already right last time....

i was going out for a drink yesterday and i heard that a ps2 classic OR something from piranya Bytes might be released in the near future.

i didnt get the whole conversation, but it was the same bar as last time.

so hopefully, something of this will become true in the next few days/weeks.
(rumor) possible PS2 classic coming to EGS

Reactions: KainXVIII

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
PB was bought by THQ Nordic, right? If Deep Silver is the publisher, EGS exclusivity is very likely.

PS2 classics wouldn't be an issue, since we always have emulators on pc ;)

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
A PB, classic game coming to the EGS is very likely indeed.

But how do we define PS2 classic? Something that has not been on PC previously? Something that has been on PC&PS2 but is no longer available on PC?

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
A PB, classic game coming to the EGS is very likely indeed.

But how do we define PS2 classic? Something that has not been on PC previously? Something that has been on PC&PS2 but is no longer available on PC?
Either one would probably work. Maybe Kingdom Hearts to set up the eventual KH3 port. If I had to bet, that's where I'd put my money.

:unsure:

Reactions: Ge0force

Nyarlathotep

The Crawling Chaos
Apr 18, 2019
Either one would probably work. Maybe Kingdom Hearts to set up the eventual KH3 port. If I had to bet, that's where I'd put my money.

:unsure:
this dudes obviously a regular at a bar where loud mouthed execs from THQN also frequent, so put any thoughts of anything not published by THQN out of your mind completely.

nofuckinidea

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
If Epic pays for console ports, wich otherwise won't end up on PC, and those ports gonna be on Steam after a year. Great!

BernardoOne

MetaMember
Oct 19, 2018
They probably mean a PS2.game ported to PC. Saying "PS2 classic" sounds like it would be a PS2 iso bundled with a emulator lol

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
I would wager what they mean is "a classic game that originally released on the ps2" rather than "ps2 classics" which implies some effort of Sony to bring multiple games to the egs

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
That's the strangest 'OR' that I read today. Maybe THQ has to release another Epic exclusive due to some contract, and they're picking between a PS2 game of theirs that made success (Timesplitters, maybe?) to re-release there, or else a Piranha title.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
If Epic pays for console ports, wich otherwise won't end up on PC, and those ports gonna be on Steam after a year. Great!
well they sure haven't yet .... Journey and all the David Cage dreck was going to be on PC regardless but then Tim stepped in and now it's all exclusive

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Well THQNordic did get the rights for several classic franchises.

Inb4 Spongebob Battle For Bikini Bottom comes to PC as an egs exclusive

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Rogue Galaxy PC? I say yes!

Silent Hill collection on PC? I say yes!

Genji on PC? I say meh!

I can run everything on PCSX2 though.

Reactions: Eferis

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
this dudes obviously a regular at a bar where loud mouthed execs from THQN also frequent, so put any thoughts of anything not published by THQN out of your mind completely.
There's nothing of THQ's PS2 library that has the type of broad appeal Epic is going after though, so why even bother.

Nyarlathotep

The Crawling Chaos
Apr 18, 2019
There's nothing of THQ's PS2 library that has the type of broad appeal Epic is going after though, so why even bother.
Well its not like anyone thinks Rune 2 has the kind of 'broad appeal' that Epic are going after, yet here we are.
A reboot of Destroy All Humans or Risen or Gothic is what you should be thinking of.

Not kingdom hearts, lmao

OMEGALUL

Apr 15, 2019
Pirahna Bytes?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Well its not like anyone thinks Rune 2 has the kind of 'broad appeal' that Epic are going after, yet here we are.
A reboot of Destroy All Humans or Risen or Gothic is what you should be thinking of.

Not kingdom hearts, lmao
I was purely speaking about the PS2 classic part of the rumor. Neither Risen nor Gothic are PS2 classics, and I just don't see something like Destroy All Humans on there. Doesn't fit.

Anyway, I do agree that it'd be odd for THQN folk to be discussing a PS2 game that isn't theirs.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I mean, how can they compare to Steam if their biggest game(s) that quarter didn't launch on it, lol. That's like Square saying their biggest sales in such and such month of that year were on PS2 when they only launched Kingdom Hearts 2 or whatever on it during that period and nothing else of note elsewhere >_>

Still too vague numbers. Also Epic won't be doing their marketing for them forever, Metro was pimped before pretty much every youtube video I tried to watch ever. And clearly the game in general was pushed more than previous games, like the difference between Witcher 1, to 2, to 3, each being on a different league.

Aelphaeis Mangarae

MetaMember
Apr 21, 2019
It really depends on whether they're talking about THQ Nordic or Deep Silver. If they're talking about Deep Silver, the obvious candidate is a TimeSplitters Remastered Collection on PS4/XBO/Switch/PC via Epic Store. (Or a remastered Second Sight.) If they're talking THQ Nordic, it could be anything. THQN have a very rich IP library. Signs point to a new Destroy All Humans being announced at E3, so maybe the employees they overheard were actually talking about the new Destroy All Humans being exclusive to the Epic Store, or maybe Destroy All Humans 1/2 are being ported to PC. Epic seem quite interested securing games that previously weren't on PC as evidenced by their deal with Quantic Dream.

Reactions: lashman