Community Beer Council - Bottoms Up!

bmdubya

Apr 17, 2019

Beer! A beverage that has been around for thousands of years, is the third most consumed beverage in the world, and is attributed to the creation of civilizations. In recent years, a craft beer movement has taken the world by storm, throwing out the old guard and bringing tasty beer to everyone. Let's use this thread to celebrate all aspects of this frosty drink.

I'll start off: I started drinking beer in college, usually cheap stuff at the beginning, and then switched over to craft beer around 2009, right in the middle of the craft beer boom in the United States. Over the years I've tried to get my hands on as many different styles of beer as possible. I'd say the rarest beer I've been able to drink are limited edition sours from New Belgium (I live in Fort Collins).

In recent years I've gotten into homebrewing. I don't homebrew as often as I like, but in the last year I moved into a house with plenty of room to homebrew. I've been building up my equipment and plan on getting back into it this summer. Any other homebrewers out there?

Anyway, cheers! I look forward to chatting about beer with all of you.

Gizmo

Non-Stop MMO Searcher
Dec 22, 2018
Was introduced to craft beer by my older brother, and got way to into it for a few years.

I'm not as hardcore as I was into craft beer in my mid-20s (i.e. waiting in line over night for beer releases, sometimes in freezing weather), but still try to get to the stores for some new releases as much as possible. It was fun for a while, but not worth the stress anymore.

Trying to make a trip to Cantillon soon.

Reactions: Ibuki

Ibuki

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I look forward to reading posts about beer from people who are more knowledgeable than myself. I'm from CO as well and I am actually going to Fort Collins for a beer festival very soon, I will try to remember to take some pictures and post them here! :phoneblob:

Firewithin

Dec 19, 2018
Aw fellow beer drinkers!

Being from southern California I have a plethora of local breweries around. Golden Road is among my favorites.

Regular type beers are good as well such as modelo, XX, 805. Those tend to be the gathering beers when I'm at kiddie parties or similar events.

Nothing beats the first cold sip on a hot day or at the end of a stressful day.

Only downside is getting fatter as I've gotten older :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye:

OP
bmdubya

bmdubya

Apr 17, 2019
I look forward to reading posts about beer from people who are more knowledgeable than myself. I'm from CO as well and I am actually going to Fort Collins for a beer festival very soon, I will try to remember to take some pictures and post them here! :phoneblob:
That’s awesome! Which festival? We’ve got some good beer up here in Fort Collins if you need any recommendations.
Was introduced to craft beer by my older brother, and got way to into it for a few years.

I'm not as hardcore as I was into craft beer in my mid-20s (i.e. waiting in line over night for beer releases, sometimes in freezing weather), but still try to get to the stores for some new releases as much as possible. It was fun for a while, but not worth the stress anymore.

Trying to make a trip to Cantillon soon.
Oh wow, I’ve definitely never waited over night for a beer release haha. That’s pretty cool. Were you able to score anything good or unique by doing that?

Gizmo

Non-Stop MMO Searcher
Dec 22, 2018
Oh wow, I’ve definitely never waited over night for a beer release haha. That’s pretty cool. Were you able to score anything good or unique by doing that?
Yea, mainly some really nice beers from Voodoo brewing out in PA. The best part is all the attendees sharing their local beer (that they bring) with everyone while waiting in line.

OP
bmdubya

bmdubya

Apr 17, 2019
I drink cheep beer and local beer.
Cheap beer is preferable in some situations. I went camping this past weekend, and that's the perfect situation for cheap beer. When you're sitting by the river drinking all day, you don't want to sip on high ABV beers.
Aw fellow beer drinkers!

Being from southern California I have a plethora of local breweries around. Golden Road is among my favorites.

Regular type beers are good as well such as modelo, XX, 805. Those tend to be the gathering beers when I'm at kiddie parties or similar events.

Nothing beats the first cold sip on a hot day or at the end of a stressful day.

Only downside is getting fatter as I've gotten older :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye:
As I now live in a house with a yard, I've learned that beer tastes so good after doing some yard work.

#Senpai

Dad Gamer
Dec 5, 2018
Texas
If I had my choice, I typically prefer Shiner Bock.

If you ever want to get knocked down, check out Big Hoppa IPA.

OP
bmdubya

bmdubya

Apr 17, 2019
Shiner is really good. I'll have to look for Big Hoppa IPA.

Gonna brew up a New England IPA tonight, I'll post pictures later.

OP
bmdubya

bmdubya

Apr 17, 2019
It's called the Odell Small Batch Festival. If you have any recommendations for sour beers I would definitely be interested.
Oh nice! I am hoping to go to that festival as well! It is also Odell's 30th anniversary party. It will be insane. Any of the sours at that festive will be really good. Just down the street is Funkwerks that has incredible sours, and then one of the pioneers of American sours (New Belgium) is literally around the corner from Odell. Those three places have the best sours in Fort Collins, in my opinion. There is also another spot in the south part of town called Purpose Brewing. It was founded by the former head brewer at New Belgium who started the sour line. He wanted to do something different after being at New Belgium for a while, so he started Purpose. They have some good beers, but I usually avoid it because they do a lot of stuff with peanut butter, and I'm allergic.

OP
bmdubya

bmdubya

Apr 17, 2019
I’ve been trying to upload pics of homebrewing like all day and can’t get it to work. I will try again tomorrow.

On another note, drank some Pliny the Elder tonight. It’s getting easier to find in Colorado. Still as tasty as the first time I had it.

Rockin' Ranger

MetaMember
Nov 7, 2018
Got a couple free bottles of Lunch, it's pretty good.

It's called the Odell Small Batch Festival. If you have any recommendations for sour beers I would definitely be interested.
I liked Odell's Sippin' Pretty sour.

I don't think you'll find it there, but New Glarus Strawberry Rhubarb is a great fruit sour I had this week.

If you can find Dogfish Head SeaQuench though you should definitely have that.

OP
bmdubya

bmdubya

Apr 17, 2019
Finally got pictures uploaded from homebrewing the other night.

Dough in

Best part about brewing is enjoying a cold beer while doing so. This is one of my favorite beers being made in Colorado right now.

Transferring over to the boil kettle

Pitching yeast!

And settling into the carboys for fermentation! We made a New England IPA, look at how hazy it turned out! The first 24 hours of fermentation was crazy.

I'll be sure to post some pictures of the final product. Gonna do the first round of dry hopping tomorrow.