News Black Mesa - now in public-beta before v1.0

MetaMember
Oct 20, 2018
I've never played HL and have been waiting for Black Mesa for a few years now. Hopefully Xen will release soon so I can finally play the series.
which one will be out first: Half-Life 3 or the final version of Black Mesa?

place your bets

;)
Idk about that but I'm sure both will release before M&B Bannerlord :(

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
I've never played HL
I'll say this. Play it.
I'm not saying out of nostalgia (although I'm used to old shooters), I played the famous demo in 2016 and the full game last year. And this was after I completed the HL2 games.

Black Mesa is essentially a different game compared to the original, shooting is different, level design and set pieces have been altered and so is the presentation of it. (I'm not saying it's bad, just different).

Reactions: lashman and 708

Anteater

Someone please take me to AA
Sep 20, 2018
I've never finished HL1 either, for some reason I keep stopping at some point. Did this with the original, the source port and then the black mesa ver, lol.

The human AIs in Black Mesa was kind of wonky, I hope they've put in the effort to improve that.

Reactions: lashman and 708

MetaMember
Oct 20, 2018
I'll say this. Play it.
I'm not saying out of nostalgia (although I'm used to old shooters), I played the famous demo in 2016 and the full game last year. And this was after I completed the HL2 games.

Black Mesa is essentially a different game compared to the original, shooting is different, level design and set pieces have been altered and so is the presentation of it. (I'm not saying it's bad, just different).
Yeah, I've heard this from one of my friends who's a giant HL fan as well. I might do it since I already own all the games. But should I play HL:Source or the original version?

Reactions: lashman

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
This looks really impressive.

It would be amazing if they also managed to improve on the actual game-play/story-telling, since the original Xen levels felt like a rather lackluster end to Half-Life.

freshVeggie

ghost
Sep 7, 2018
Oh man, this looks awesome.
The OG HL was my introduction to FPS, it has a special place. One of the few games I replayed multiple times.

Was sad that I didn't win Black Mesa keys on Steamgifts when it hit Humble Monthly :cry:

Maxi

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
That looks very good and also quite different from how I remember it being in the original HL. Apart from that horrible sack creature... That is now even more grotesque.

OP
prudis

prudis

TrailerBot
Sep 19, 2018
The Kingdom of Bohemia
twitter.com
now in public beta
We have pushed a build to public-beta on Steam. This is our candidate for our release out of Early Access! If you are interested in helping us test, we would greatly appreciate it.
[

Last edited:

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I hope they take on Opposing Forces and Blue Shift, though.
There are/were teams doing just that, but it seems the original game and its expansion remakes became black holes in the source mod community where plenty of work and teams went it but nothing every comes out.

Not even Decay Source has come out and it's a tiny chunk of addon by comparison

CommodoreKong

Jun 15, 2019
I recently played this as part of my Half Life playthrough and while it was fun, they really went overboard with Xen. They really needed to cut about half of it and leave in the good parts. When I got to my 10th figure out how to plug in a power cable puzzle in a row in Xen I nearly dropped the game.