News CAPCOM removes Denuvo from the PC version of Resident Evil 7, a possible new trend?

Krvavi Abadas

Jan 22, 2019
Removed 3rd-Party DRMDenuvo Anti-tamper, 5 different PC within a day machine activation limit
Straight from the SteamDB.
This also includes the "Beginning Hour" teaser demo, that inexplicably used it despite being a free demo.

The curious thing here is how Capcom has been handling the DRM.
  • Three games. Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite (8 months), Mega Man 11 (1 month), and now RE7 (2 years). Have had it patched out so far.
  • Only four games are left that still use it. Dead Rising 4, Monster Hunter: World, The just released RE2 remake, and the upcoming Devil May Cry 5.
  • Only Dead Rising 4 (Which had it's developer recently shut down, making updates unlikely.) and Monster Hunter World predate the games that had it removed.
Monster Hunter World is particularly curious, as the only title that came out before it is Mega Man 11. Which also had the shortest turn around for removal. It's possible that the GaaS nature of the former is why it's currently staying on there.

and of course, everything else they've released (Which is just ports, nothing really new.) lacks Denuvo entirely.

fsdood

Jan 9, 2019
Does Denuvo have licensing fees for companies to keep using it? Maybe that's why some games gets removed after some time. Still pretty cool to see this and hopefully they'll remove it from DMC5 in the future.

Reactions: lashman

Gengis Khan

Goodfella
Jan 26, 2019
Italy
mgmboxeisland.com
One can only hope.

Honestly, I wouldn't even mind Denuvo being there that much, if I was given reassurance that once I make a purchase it will be removed sometime down the line.
Well, except maybe when it visibly hinder performances.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Does Denuvo have licensing fees for companies to keep using it?
don't think they do ... maybe for updates (since each update has to be re-infected with denuvo each time)

One can only hope.

Honestly, I wouldn't even mind Denuvo being there that much, if I was given reassurance that once I make a purchase it will be removed sometime down the line.
Well, except maybe when it visibly hinder performances.
it always affects loading times

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Now if only they did something about their pathetic regional pricing on Steam...