News Castlevania Anniversary Collection releasing in May, full list of games revealed

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Castlevania Anniversary Collection comes to PS4 on 16th May

Castlevania 1-3 from the NES/Famicom
Kid Dracula 1 from NES
Super Castlevania IV from the SNES
Castlevania Bloodlines from the MD/Genesis
Castlevania 1 & 2 from the Gameboy

Solid line up, though I'm hoping the ROMs can be extracted and hacked as Castlevania 2 sure can use it ;P

Deleted member 113

Very solid list. (y)
It pretty much covers all entries from the first 10 years, except Rondo of Blood (which I'm hoping is included in the next collection).

Also:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PhaZZe and lashman
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Well that is odd
Does this mean that contra will be us version as well?

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Should have included rondo and castlevania game boy and wiiware the adventure rebirth and stuff. Whether some were ports, if they were different they should be included, same for any that came later but were in the spirit of the classics. Then the next collection could be the sotn-esque igavanias which are also so numerous counting the portable entries that this collection will seem even lesser. Unless they also miss games from those which would suck too.

Edit: oh, gameboy stuff are actually in, that's good.

Deleted member 113

Well that is odd
Does this mean that contra will be us version as well?
Probably, considering early reports on the Arcade collection that is now out (not yet on Steam, sadly) mention only the US version is included for at least one game that has multiple arcade versions.

Reactions: lashman and PhaZZe

KenOD

MetaMember
Oct 25, 2018
I can hear the music in my head already.

As well as my wallet getting thinner due to my now much bigger need to get a good Mega Drive controller for PC. I don't want to play Bloodlines any other way, nostalgia demands it.

Deleted member 113

I can hear the music in my head already.
Indeed. ;)

I love the music of this series so much, a few years ago I bought this big boxset (18 CDs + 1 DVD) with soundtracks from all the games up until then:

Reactions: lashman and PhaZZe

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Bloodlines as expected, I don't think that has been on modern consoles/PC at all yet. Kid Dracula was no where near my radar so that's cool, I guess?

Still kinda disappointed they didn't include Rondo or SotN, but if they do another Castelvania collection they will have no excuse to not do all Igavanias.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Dracula X is an altered version of Rondo of Blood for the SNES. It is not popular among the fanbase but I think it looks nice.
ahhh ... didn't know, lol :p shows you just how much i know about Castlevania (or how much console games i've played in general in my life, lol)

Reactions: Deleted member 113
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
That's cool.
I like Dracula X's visuals on the SNES at least, and I don't think it's THAT bad despite how much better Rondo is. It did give us a bombastic OST as you just proved too.

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
No Castlevania Adventures for the Gameboy :(. I loved that - still have the box and everything.
And that music.

Reactions: lashman

Deleted member 113

Would like for the 2nd collection to have the rebirth game or at least the PS2 ones
The PS2 games are the only "classic" (non MercurySteam) entries I never played, so it would be great to finally give it a go. (y)

I still have Rebirth on my Wii, but it would be great to have all entries on as many platforms as possible, including the PC.

Reactions: lashman and fsdood

BO7AMMOOD

Lucas isn't sure what to do anymore
Apr 18, 2019
I'm hoping the ROMs can be extracted and hacked as Castlevania 2 sure can use it ;P
Definitely! I played Simon's Quest two years ago with a ROM hack that adds an in game map, completely changed NPC dialogue and gameplay tweaks that improve inventory management and upgrades. It was transformative for that game to say the least!

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Lots of interesting stuff, but yeah, half of them need to be hacked to be fun nowadays.
I'd like to see more re-balanced versions of old games (as an option), too many of them are brutally difficult for all the wrong reasons. Castlevania being a prime example, with medusa heads bumping your character in a pit for an insta death... and replaying the level is not even the worse thing as a good chunk of them have limited continues.
That's not exactly good game design, it's a relic of arcade times.

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
yeah if they bring it over as Dracula X I would be mad. Rondo is a masterpiece. That CD Audio :minos_love:

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
No Rondo makes me sad. I remember playing the PSP remake of that just to get the on-disk secret original version.

The Adventure for the OG Game Boy though.... that brings back memories. The game was so hard to beat as a kid. It ran with what today feels like 5-10 fps. I think I beat Dracula only once and then never played it again.