News Command & Conquer Remastered Collection (EA+Petroglyph) - releasing June 5

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
The remastered music is also awesome. It runs smooth as butter, feels great at high resolutions, supports high refresh rates.
Biggest downside so far is that they didn't implement an attack move button, but there wasn't one in the original so at least it's authentic. Still, I got used to it over the years and now I'm missing it even here.
A shame that the original videos went missing, but they did put a lot of effort into remastering the cutscenes.

Feels great to play. It's a worthy remaster for a beloved classic.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Objective: Recapture your GDI base, rebuild it and crush the enemy.
"Oh, I remember this one. My base should be to the right."
Drives with inferior forces into enemy base.
"Oh, I guess I didn't remember it after all."

• Toucan
Reactions: prudis

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
The pathfinding in the original game is appaling.
Was it always this bad?
Only played Red Alert back in the day.

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
I guess modern RTS has spoiled me.

I mean even in Dune 2, units actually get where you tell them to.
In this Ive seen tanks just going back and forth across 3 tiles indefinitely

Last edited:
Reactions: TheTrain and ISee

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
Could you register them on Origin?

EDIT: A quick googling says, no, you could not. However you can buy some C&C Ultimate Collection on Origin...

Last edited:

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Could you register them on Origin?

EDIT: A quick googling says, no, you could not. However you can buy some C&C Ultimate Collection on Origin...
Hmm, I distinctly remember registering them on something at some point. Quite possible I'm mixing it up with some other game though. :thinking-blob:

Reactions: FunnyJay and ISee

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Even some of the early missions are actually pretty easy to fail.

Of course you can do ridiculous micro against the AI, but you need to pay attention. Luckily it's generally not smart enough to just run your infantry over.

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
Played the first 3 GDI missions. Pure nostalgic awesome.
And I never played C&C 1 back in the day.
I tried it back when the First Decade was released and thought it felt a bit old then, jumped straight back into Tiberian Sun instead! 😀

Dictator

MetaMember
Feb 17, 2019
Just beat GDI campaign last night and am on mission 8 or so of NOD. GDI was great but I ended up using a bit "lame" tactics on the normal difficulty. Fleets of Orcas and harrased their harvesters and they never really protect them - rather just send retaliation attacks if it is attacked or destroyed.

The Janitor

Jul 13, 2019
Mission 11 as NOD. What the fuck man. You're supposed to use the commando but GDI has airstrikes that will specifically target the commando. :thinking-face:

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
This is an interesting mod, potentially.

More Quality of Life Improvements

A simple mod that adds more quality-of-life improvements to the game. Does not add extra units or direct gameplay changes, so you get the true original experience, just improved. Currently includes the following enhancements:

Smarter Harvesters
Several enhancements have been added to make harvesters smarter.

In the original game, harvesters preferred harvesting ore patches to the north of their position. This mod makes them harvest the ore patches closest to their last refinery instead, which helps keep your harvesters safe and keeps the money flowing faster as the harvesters have a shorter path to home.

If you have multiple bases or a very large base, harvesters will now stick to using the closest refineries instead of wandering all around the map to reach any free refinery.

Harvesters also don't start idling anymore if their refinery gets destroyed while they are on their way to unload, but will instead find another refinery to unload to.

And finally, when the map runs out of ore, the harvesters won't stay idle permanently, but will periodically scan if more ore has spawned on the map (from ore mines). This also affects the Skirmish AI and makes it a bit less braindead in the late-game.

Pathfinding
Improves pathfinding by implementing the A* algorithm. Units will no longer hug cliffs and other obstacles, but move through the most optimal path. Special thanks to cfehunter for implementing this feature to TD, which I could then port to RA.

Factory rally points
You can select a factory and then click on the ground to give produced units a rally point, like in Red Alert 2 and CnCNet Tiberian Sun. This works with barrackses, war factories and naval yards / sub pens. You can also hold ALT while giving the rally point to set the rally point to a unit or other object. Thanks to cfehunter for his work on the same feature for TD.

Other enhancements
  • Aircraft can be targeted manually with SAM sites and AA guns, making it possible to micro them for focus-fire
  • Enables force-fire (CTRL) for buildings
  • Enables the Stop (default S) command works for buildings, so you can stop them from firing at a previously given target
  • Units react faster to enemies that move by their position
  • Service Depots now always tell fully repaired units to move out of the depot to keep it free for future use, even if there was no unit queued for entering them
  • Enables units to make queued waypoint loops if you make a path with Q-move and finally click on the unit itself (thanks to dkeeton for providing information about this)

Expect more to come in the future. And while I do my best to test the features actively, be sure to report any bugs if you come across them. Hope you find the enhancements useful!

Source code: https://github.com/Rampastring/CnC_Remastered_Collection

The Janitor

Jul 13, 2019
Mission 11 as NOD. What the fuck man. You're supposed to use the commando but GDI has airstrikes that will specifically target the commando. :thinking-face:
Update: I was able to beat mission 11 by switching the country. Choose Mozambique instead, Namibia is just ridiculous.

Reactions: lashman

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
As other negative reviews have said, the resolution upgrade is fancy, but the core mechanics have been left in the 90s, namely, how to control units.

The pathing will cause tanks and harvesters to go all the way around the map, often through enemy territory. This game needs to be patched so that they occasionally "refresh" pathing and will turn around when paths are clear.

Unit selection is also troublesome. Very had to micro or focus fire. There is no "attack move" command. This reminds me why in the 90s, everyone tank rushed instead of create mixed units.

This game still needs polish because the gameplay still feels 25 years old.

My review was deleted after I refunded. This is the summary.

• Toucan
Reactions: Stevey and prudis