Q&A Cutscenes and their role in VG narrative

Cutscenes and their role in VG narrative

• Cutscenes are a great way to advance the story

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Cutscenes are fundamentally limiting the ability to tell a story in a video game format

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • It's okay for some genres and doesn't work in the others

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • Thor: The Dark World

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Not a big thread starter, I hope you guys will forgive me for the lack of pics and ranty opening.

While browsing the other forum today I saw a couple of topics about cutscenes and how they hold up today or advance cinematography in the medium. Those topics made me think about different things though, they made me think about how cutscenes is a dead end on a way to the evolution of the medium. A couple of years ago I would've been ecstatic for a new AAA narrative driven, cutscene-filled VG that desperately tried to be a new "Citizen Kane of video games" while often neglecting a game part of the medium, to be honest, I enjoy some of these games even today. However, after playing myriad of games that tried to do different things with their narrative design, be it an environmental storytelling or telling lore through items, I think cutscenes, as a main tool of telling a story, is a thing of past. Not only that, I think the active reliance on them in AAA space is hurtful to the artistic growth of the industry. It's time to recognize, that being a mediocre movies isn't a way forward, it's not a sign of maturity, it only shows that creators are ashamed to embrace gaminess of video games.

So, what's your opinion on the matter folks? Should the industry search for a new ways to bring narrative to life, something that's better suited to the strengths of the medium or are we fine as it is?

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I can see the argument that they are a crutch that may be holding back experimentation but i honestly have no problem with them if that's what developer wants. I think it's a decision for a game by game basis as it works better for some, there's also budget and technical/skill limitations that stop developers using alternative methods not just a lack of artistic or creative vision.

I remember people saying that they enjoyed half-life 2 but seeing people jump about in the exposition scenes really upset them for some reason and essentially they were arguing for player agency to be removed making such moments essentially 'cutscenes'. Lore items are good for padding out the world but some people never read in-game books or explore off the critical path. Environmental cues work really well on me but others are blind to them. Audio logs? Some people just shut them off or only listen to them out of the area they were found in.

I honestly think that VR will help renew experimentation in exposition due to the fundamental changes in it's presentation but at the end of the day there's only going to be so many ways to present information to the player and some players will always just button mash through the game ignoring any information the game gives them.

Sometimes i want an experience like Death Stranding with swathes of gameplay woven between mini-movies and other times i just want to shoot stuff or explore things. I don't think cutscenes are a bad thing they are a tool and as with all tools they can be used badly or used well.

Reactions: Rosenkrantz

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
They can do some things you can't do in other ways, they'll always be used even as part of just an intro and outro if nothing else, not every story can be told or implied like in Half-Life or Dark Souls or Metroid Prime, you could never tell a story like the original Metal Gear Solid with just in game scripted sequences and there's nothing wrong or limited or outdated with games that do want to tell stories like that in that way. So, agree with the above.

Reactions: Rosenkrantz

Oldschool PC

Nov 23, 2019
Videogames are an interactive medium, therefore all stories should revolve around the concept of player agency.

If the plot of a game is mostly devoid of player agency, then it would be more suitable for a different medium.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I generally don’t mind them too much, and I’m very happy that most games have shifted to in-engine scenes. Fading to black is another trend I hope to see erased. It’s a lot more immersive if it pans directly back to the player and you’re put in control without that momentary interruption.

One of the most egregious things is when important decisions or actions are taken in a cutscene. That is always a major bummer.

Sometimes it’s nice to put the controls down. I’m also not a huge fan of having to wait and awkwardly stand around with the character being talked to. Walk and talk sections are also not great.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
As someone that likes even the old FMV games, I have no problem with cutscenes as a way to deliver the story. One my favorite series of "old days", Wing Commander, would be very different if didn't had cutscenes. Or to pick a more recent very good game, Witcher 3 had also some very memorable moments on it's story delivered through them.

But you have games like Half-life 2 that didn't use them and had good stories nevertheless, or to pick one of the best examples of using gameplay to tell a story, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons.

You can also find a lot of examples of cutscenes being terrible and completely ruining the pace of a game (Quantum Break and it's awful FMV episodes) or games that relied solely on "hidden" storytelling that lost my interest.

So in the end they are just one of the many tools available to developers, that can be skillfully used.... or not. They can be used to give a good "bang" on some peaks in the story, or as a crutch because your gameplay loop is bad. The same can be said for a lot other "tools" in games, like graphics, music, mechanics like grind, and so on.

And that's actually what I really like about videogames: it's a medium where you can merge a lot of others techniques. Visuals, music, text, interactivity, even passive segments, etc.

Aelphaeis Mangarae

MetaMember
Apr 21, 2019
I think that by and large, cutscenes are an attempt to use film in an attempt to borrow the legitimacy afforded to film. And while there is a place for "movie games" -- I am replaying The Walking Dead currently, and it is very good -- it is not playing to the strengths of an interactive medium to place a literal movie in the middle of your videogame.

I think that developers should strive to preserve player control and player agency as much as they possibly can. Cutscenes are the literal opposite of player control. When it comes to real world examples, I think that Clint Hocking (Splinter Cell) was was right, and Hideo Kojima (Metal Gear Solid) was wrong. (Broadly speaking.) If you want to make a movie, go make a movie. As a genre, stealth games work best when the player is kept in control as much as possible. Things like forced failure in service of narrative are massive faux pas, and games like Hitman: Absolution discovered this the hard way.

This topic is especially interesting to me because of the cultural differences between N64 and PS1 developers. The N64's limited cart space pushed for conservative storytelling paired with a strong focus on gameplay. The N64 had a handful of exceptions, but overall the gravitation was towards telling the game's story organically you played the game. When you played GoldenEye (a major source of influence on Thief, which in turn was a major source of influence on Splinter Cell), you were in control of Bond at all times except at the start and end of each mission, bookended by a brief cinematic. The game didn't try to force feed you scenes from the movie the way Bond games designed for Playstation did.

When you played GoldenEye, you didn't sit there and watch things happen. You were an active participant in the events from the film. You didn't watch Bond escape from his cell. You escaped from his cell. You didn't watch Alec's faked execution. You were in the room, fully in control, as the Russians surrounded him. This is game design playing to the strength of the medium.

Metal Gear Solid 1-4 are like a car with an elephant strapped onto its roof. Incessant attempts to force feed a narrative through completely non-interactive movie sequences undermine the core game design. Which is a shame because the actual game design often has some clever ideas. Hideo Kojima is a very good game director. Metal Gear Solid is the go-to example over something like Wing Commander, which is the REAL source of "cinematic" games with celebrity actors and the like.

That isn't to say cutscenes can't be effective when using sparingly or creatively. I think that Max Payne 1/2 had a really good mixture of story delivered while the player was in control, story delivered through artful comic book cutscenes, and very rare ingame cutscenes introducing characters and such. But look at what happened with Max Payne 3. Suddenly the player was losing control of Max near-constantly so that the Dan Houser could force feed cutscenes to the player. The biggest improvement that could be made to Max Payne 3 would be the removal of the non-interactive cutscenes, replacing them with player-controlled storytelling. Don't take control away from the player unless you have a really good reason.

And "Oh, it's just like a movie. Games are art now," is not a good reason. The obsession with being viewed as real art by surgically grafting LITERAL MOVIES into your game is sad. If you can't tell your story without a MOVIE, there is something wrong with your ostensible "videogame story". You've robbed your story of the impact it could have had -- where the player personally experienced it -- and replaced it with them watching.

I often think about the differences in design priority between first and third person games. It's no accident that first person games have been shying away from taking control away from the player since... Doom, I guess? Doom was originally supposed to be filled with cutscenes. This didn't happen.

Imagine The Last of Us as a first person game. Think about how clunky and intrusive the never ending stream of pre-rendered cutscenes would be. I think there's a pretty strong overlap between third person games and cutscenes for this reason. It's the already existing overtones of "watching" things happen. But if The Last of Us were first person every single such scene would stick out like a sore thumb. Why are we watching Joel do things when we could be doing them overselves?

Far Cry 5 has some amazing cutscenes. Real "It really makes you think"-tier stuff. But you know what? Far Cry 5 would be a much better game if it stopped taking control away from the player. If it found ways to deliver its narrative without forcing the player to sit and watch.

This is a really good cutscene with some INCREDIBLE writing and acting. But imagine if you were in control. Imagine if you sat in that boat because you CHOSE to sit in that boat. Forcing the player to sit and watch stuff happen isn't really good game design. It can be hard to tell certain types of stories without removing player control, but every bit player control you take away weakens the overall structure. The story becomes a parasite, weakening the game to support a story that in many cases isn't actually that good. The best kind of games are a synergy of mechanics and story where the two work together instead of awkwardly flipping back and forth. I really like Conker's Bad Fur Day, but the actual synergy of game and movie is kinda shit. It's a series of minigames where you get rewarded with very well written and acted comedy bits. But imagine if the story was organic. Imagine if it unfolded in combination with truly sublime gameplay? It would be a better game overall.

There is no 100% correct answer, but a core principle is that videogames are an interactive medium. It's LITERALLY THE ONLY THING THEY HAVE GOING FOR THEM. So one would be very wise to lean upon this core design trait above all others.

edit: On the topic of Thief and games like Thief, I think that bookending cutscenes are a decent compromise. If you're gonna have cutscenes, place them at the start of a mission, or the end of a mission, and outside of that keep the player in control pretty much 100%.

The recently released Sniper: Ghost Warrior Contracts does the same thing as Thief, GoldenEye, Hitman, etc. Have your fancy cutscene at the start of the mission, but then keep the player in control. Don't interrupt them while they're playing to force feed them cutscenes. Bookend your narrative around maps or missions or whatever. It's a time-tested approach. Thief benefited from mission briefing cutscenes, but benefited far more from never interrupting the player mid-mission to force feed them cutscenes. All story during missions was conveyed through NPC dialogue the player could overhear and stuff like that.

Last edited:

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
CGI or in-engine cutscenes, I like em because I like a spectacle.
I'm a simple man.

Strength of the medium is obviously interactivity but when it comes to telling stories it's also the weakness.
As soon as you give players control and try to tell your story at the same time, the player is going to go look at some bad texture on the ground and miss some key gesture or expression from npc x that would have been out of place as is but ended up foreshadowing their betrayal of npc y or something or another.
Most of us aren't good cameramen so it makes sense to take that control away during pivotal scenes, and I can't really think of better way to advance the story.

OP
Rosenkrantz

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Nobody chose Thor: The Dark World? I swear it would've been the most popular option on the other forum!

I think that by and large, cutscenes are an attempt to use film in an attempt to borrow the legitimacy afforded to film.
That's some of my grievances as well. For some reason devs think that only film-like narrative structure allows you to wear big boy pants and slavishly follow the formula. It can work and the games can even be great, but ultimately, they don't push the medium forward. I'm not the biggest fan of Fumito Ueda to put it mildly, but I wish Sony would spend more money on projects like that than ND's cinematic masterpiece #69 (and I usually enjoy ND's output).