News Dangen Entertainment Allegedly Not Paying Indie Devs?

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
Posted this on Era, but figured it was worth a nod here too.

---

So... this appears to be developing, but at least one Indie developer, and allegedly others, aren't being paid royalties for their games published by Dangen Entertainment. A post went up on r/games earlier today, but also the developers for Devil Engine Ignition have not-so-subtly been claiming it themselves on Twitter:

So far only one developer has alleged this, but they're claiming that they've been in contact with other developers that have had the same happen to them. Obviously, this is a developing story - hoping this isn't what it looks like...

Sakhr

Sep 15, 2019
So Dangen is on the same level as Nicalis now, huh? Man, indie devs can't catch a break when it comes to shitty publishers. The tweet was deleted, what did it say?

Reactions: lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
So Dangen is on the same level as Nicalis now, huh? Man, indie devs can't catch a break when it comes to shitty publishers. The tweet was deleted, what did it say?
basically "the new DLC is delayed because of legal reasons" with a message hidden inside which read "DANGEN ROBBED US"

Reactions: Sakhr

Sakhr

Sep 15, 2019
basically "the new DLC is delayed because of legal reasons" with a message hidden inside which read "DANGEN ROBBED US"
Yeah, just got that on his reddit post. The fact that Dangen was holding back the release of Ignition and the PS4 port makes them scum. Why the fuck are they doing this? Sinoc also said that rdein (dev of Momodura/Minoria) had problems with his Minoria release. I wonder if Matt Mcmuscles will talk about it too considering his game is also being published by Dangan? Also reading that 4chan post, I did not know Ben Judd was the CEO (guy who helped Inafune with MN.9 kickstarter), which explains how scummy and shitty the company is.

NeuralProxy

years to burn
Nov 12, 2018
Italy
A Dangen employee addressed the accusations on Era (not sure why an Internet board is now the official way to handle this kind of things but whatever)

Devil Engine devs replied, on Twitter

FunktionJCB

Something Wicked This Way Comes
Oct 10, 2018
Seems like there is, at the very least, a severe lack of professionalism (and simply knowing how to do your job) on both sides there.
Yeah.
And it's disappointing to see, as someone who enjoys both Dangen's releases, and Devil Engine in particular. :(

Hopefully the problem is indeed "incompetence", and other developers aren't affected.
Also, while social media is a popular way of handling things nowadays, I really don't think it's the right channel to solve business disputes.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
One thing I have to say, as someone who does contract work, I can fully understand why the developers are angry if a payment they were supposed to get several months ago still hasn't reached them.

If you hire someone to do anything (or have any contract with them that obliges you to to pay them for any reason) then you absolutely need to make sure that you pay them fully and on time, regardless of any other circumstances. That's the bare minimum, and until you are certain that you can ensure that you shouldn't sign the contract.

Swenhir

MetaMember
Apr 18, 2019
I'm reluctantly with Durante on this one. Neither the post on twitter nor the one on Era particularly ooze good form. I can't blame them for wanting to defend themselves if they are indeed in the right and he's abusive (and/or a liar) but the fashion in which they did so wasn't the best.

I'd take a jug of salt with me and keep it handy whenever either of these parties say anything.

Panda Pedinte

Not a real Panda
Sep 20, 2018
That Medium article was wild. The person who wrote it also backed their claims with screenshots of various conversations. It paints Dangen as being very inefective and amateurs if not incompetent.

Kvik

Festive Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
After reading that Medium article and finally be able to put thetrin's ERA post in context, I don't blame Devil Engine's dev to be angry at them. I mean, Dangen is screwing with their livelihood right there. They're operating a business in Japan for the better part of the decade, yet still managed to fuck up their taxes and not paying developers on time.

Not to mention thetrin's gross incompetence in handling Devil Engine's account. Because of them, Devil Engine's dev missed out on Golden Week sale. It was a great sale since I remember most Japanese games were at their historical low during the sale, and it was a golden opportunity to make some sales. I suppose thetrin was too busy posting on ERA or playing Destiny instead of doing their job.

m_dorian

May 22, 2019
Doesn't look good for some people there in Dangen even if the half of this article is true.

Last edited:

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
A Dangen employee addressed the accusations on Era (not sure why an Internet board is now the official way to handle this kind of things but whatever)

Devil Engine devs replied, on Twitter

We are in the era (ha!) where it's more about getting your side of the story out there, even if it's wrong, to shape public opinion.

Because free speech, yo. Everything is fair game now.

Reactions: Spamlynguist

Kvik

Festive Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
no, it's not ... it's just not available in the EU (and possibly a few other places)

they'd rather block the entire EU than comply with GDPR
Ah, you're right my friend. The page returned 404 when viewed from an .au-based IP address. I VPN'd to an .sg IP address and I managed to see the article. :dana_peace:

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Ah, you're right my friend. The page returned 404 when viewed from an .au-based IP address. I VPN'd to an .sg IP address and I managed to see the article.
you're welcome :)

Sakhr

Sep 15, 2019
I wonder what's gonna happen to Dangen if this keeps going. They don't have something like Nicalis holding the Cave Story IP hostage to leech off to and not worry about anything financially.

prudis

TrailerBot
Sep 19, 2018
The Kingdom of Bohemia
twitter.com
seems like noone posted the Dangen's reaction to the first one ... so for completion's sake

what a mess incompetent fucks everywhere and instead of solving shit intrnaly or through courts .... they will rather battle it out on social media to capitalize on toxci fucks on those .... good job

let it burn .... let it all burn ... let this whole industry world burn

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Last edited:

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
The part where they (allegedly) repeatedly claim that things are much more complicated than they actually are to justify their (mostly useless) middleman position is something I've observed far too often.