• Xbox One (Mar 1, 2019)
  • PC (Mar 1, 2019)
Trailer:
Publisher: Tecmo Koei Games

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 79 average - 81% recommended

Critic Reviews

Digitally Downloaded - Matt Sainsbury - 5 / 5 stars
Dead or Alive 6 is amazing. It’s the best looking fighting game out there, bar none, and has a combat system that is both instantly accessible for newcomers, without feeling condescending, and yet also offering plenty of depth and complexity for experienced fans.

Twinfinite - Giuseppe Nelva - 4.5 / 5
Dead or Alive 6 is more accessible than ever, but it's still most definitely and unapologetically Dead or Alive, and that's exactly what it should be.

PCGamesN - Jack Ridsdale - 9 / 10
The culmination of over two decades of refinement, resulting in fluid, accessible, and balanced combat mechanics. While the game's lurid focus on flesh will divide opinion, it remains one of the most polished and fully-featured fighting games in recent years.Jack Ridsdale

GamingBolt - Will Borger - 9 / 10
Dead or Alive 6 is a great game that is easy for anyone to pick up and has the depth to last fighting game fans a long time.

Rice Digital - Reuben Mount - 4.5 / 5 stars
DEAD OR ALIVE 6 is out today for Playstation 4, and PC via Steam. Have we swayed you on the game? Why not pick up a copy?

GamePitt - Rob Pitt - 8.7 / 10
Taking its place as my favourite fighting game this generation, Dead or Alive 6 is so addictive! When you’re not trying to achieve all three stars in each of the 104 quests, you’ll be either fighting a stranger online, training for your next fight or working your way through the rather messy story mode. The narrative may not be one of the best out there but the game delivers where it counts, in the combat mechanics and performance. Delivering both a resolution or framerate mode on the PS4 Pro, Dead or Alive 6 ensures it remains stable whichever option you decide to go with.

WellPlayed - Zach Jackson - 8.5 / 10
With its fun and fast-paced gameplay, stunning visuals and intuitive mechanics, Dead or Alive 6 affirms itself as one of the best fighters this generation

GBAtemp - theinternetnomad - 8.5 / 10
With a decent roster, great accessibility, and fun gameplay, Dead or Alive 6 is a solid entry, and worth your time if you're a fan of the series.

Spaziogames - Domenico Musicò - Italian - 8.5 / 10
Dead or Alive 6 represents a solid fighting game and one of the most complete on the market, with a deep combat system, a perfect training mode and a lot of challenges.

God is a Geek - Gary Bailey - 8.5 / 10
While it does have some issues, the core gameplay of Dead or Alive 6 is fluid and brilliantly fun. It's certainly the best in the series so far.

PushStartPlay - Richard Lee Breslin - 8.5 / 10
Dead or Alive 6 is ridiculously fun and endlessly charming!

Heavy - Elton Jones - 8.5 / 10
Quote not yet available

PlayStation Universe - Garri Bagdasarov - 8.5 / 10
Dead or Alive 6 is the first great fighter of the year. It proves that once you strip the "fan service" away, you see how deep and masterful the core combat can truly be.

PowerUp! - Leo Stevenson - 8.4 / 10
DOA fans, I'm sure this one will be a winner in your eyes. And the same goes for fighting game fans.

The Games Machine - Danilo Dellafrana - Italian - 8.4 / 10
Dead or Alive 6 is probably the best chapter in the series thanks to its good gameplay mechanics, both polished and perfected for the newcomers.

Gameblog - Jonathan Bushle - French - 8 / 10
Dead or Alive 6 is a very good fighting game, with a lot of game modes, but you must be aware that you'll have to pay more to make the game more complete with costumes and fighters.

Cubed3 - Ofisil - 8 / 10
Dead or Alive 6 isn't the Christ's-Second-Coming equivalent of fighting game sequels. This is mostly an upgraded version of Dead or Alive 5, and not exactly a heavily upgraded one. Having said that, even those few improvements manage to make this the best, and most visually appealing instalment so far - boobies, or no boobies.

Wccftech - Dave Aubrey - 8 / 10
Dead or Alive 6 has a great fighting system and a bunch of small extras that enhance the experience. Is it better than Dead or Alive 5? That's harder to determine. As it stands this is an awesome fighting game, but the character roster feels a bit light and the story is predictably rubbish. At least the games I played in the Online Ranked mode were incredibly solid, which is sure to please fighting game fans.

IGN Spain - Juan García - Spanish - 8 / 10
A deep and accesible fighting game that will entertain lonely gamers for a while, but that actually has some flaws in terms of online game modes. The game will probably improve over time as DOA 5 did, but as it is right now it falls a bit short.

Game Revolution - Tyler Treese - 4 / 5 stars
Despite still struggling to tell a captivating story, Dead or Alive 6 is an improvement in nearly every area from its predecessor.

The Outerhaven Productions - Keith Mitchell - 4 / 5 stars
Dead or Alive 6, is hands down the best title in the series. Lots of content, various modes to get you in fighting form and I found the gameplay incredibly fun. It's almost the total package, with the exception of the online lobbies not being in yet. Still, if that doesn't matter to you, a great time will be found in a game that doesn't take its self too seriously. Which is absolutely fine by me.

GameSpew - Richard Seagrave - 8 / 10
Quote not yet available

DualShockers - Tomas Franzese - 8 / 10
Dead or Alive 6 is the most enjoyable and accessible title in the fighting series yet, though its story and online modes leave a bit to be desired.

TechRaptor - Alex Santa Maria - 8 / 10
Another solid entry in a stalwart arcade franchise, Dead or Alive 6 doesn't stray too far from what's worked in the past. Whether you're in for fast combos or buxom beauties, Team Ninja have your back.

Hardcore Gamer - Chris Shive - 4 / 5
Dead or Alive 6 doesn't make any drastic deviations from the previous titles, but adds just enough new features to feel fresh and exciting.

Hobby Consolas - Álvaro Alonso - Spanish - 77 / 100
Team NINJA demonstrates once again that they're one of the best studios out there at creating fast paced, rock-solid and extremely satisfying combat systems. Dead or Alive 6 is also the best entry for newcomers, but lacks some content and evolution.

Worth Playing - Cody Medellin - 7.5 / 10
Dead or Alive 6 maintains its status as a solid and surprisingly deep fighting game that gets hidden underneath the readily apparent fan service. The tweaks to the fighting system only improve the accessibility while not hurting the more advanced players. The 24-character roster is refreshed, but the customization feels more limited. The same can be said for the levels and graphics, which are fine but lack any signs of ambition. However, DoA6 is still a good, solid purchase for fighting game fans, although it may not be the big leap that series fans would've wanted.

PC Invasion - Jason Rodriguez - 3.5 / 5 stars
Dead or Alive 6 uses reliable mechanics while adding new twists to freshen up the gameplay. Combat is fluid, fun, and exciting, yet, overall, it's not without glaring flaws.

TheSixthAxis - Dominic Leighton - 7 / 10
Dead or Alive 6 is an objectively great fighting game that's likely to be hampered by its continued objectification of women.

TrustedReviews - Jade King - 3.5 / 5 stars
Dead or Alive 6 is an enjoyable fighter, with a lot going for it. Koei Tecmo has looked back on the series' somewhat juvenile history and decided it's time to grow up.

Everyeye.it - Filippo Facchetti - Italian - 7 / 10
Dead or Alive 6 is a fun game, but it is hard to bear the comparison with the previous chapter of the series, even today very current

GameSpot - Heidi Kemps - 7 / 10
The beautiful visuals, fun battle arenas, and easy-to-grasp fighting gameplay of Dead or Alive 6 make for a brawler that packs a punch.

Push Square - Robert Ramsey - 6 / 10
Dead or Alive 6 finds itself in this slightly awkward middle space where it's certainly a sequel, but it's not nearly the jump that we were expecting -- especially since it's been almost seven years since Dead or Alive 5. The new additions to combat are welcome but they're not exactly exciting, and the overall package is reasonably robust, but let down by tedious grinds and a terrible story mode. As a fighter, Dead or Alive is still fun, punchy, and accessible, but as an upgrade on the already solid Dead or Alive 5: Last Round, it feels underwhelming, and even a little rushed.

Destructoid - Chris Moyse - 6 / 10
While it still makes for a fun fighting experience, Dead or Alive 6 shows that the brand has unquestionably run out of ideas. With little to showcase in the way of fresh concepts, exciting gameplay ideas, or brand creativity, this long-running series chooses to coast by on being "more of the same.", whilst hoping to be the engine that pulls the DLC train. During this competitive era of fighting game reinvention, that just isn't going to cut it for your 60 bucks.

USgamer - Mike Williams - 3 / 5 stars
Dead or Alive 6 carries much of the franchise's risque DNA, but shows a bit more initial restraint. The more revealing costumes are unlockable and the jiggle physics tend towards a bit more realism now. Combat remains accessible, but new moves like the Break Blow and evasion add new layers for DOA vets. Dead or Alive 6 could use a little more graphical polish and its netcode needs to be better, but it's a pretty good fighter all around.

Eurogamer - Wesley Yin-Poole - No Recommendation / Blank
Dead or Alive 6 stumbles into 2019 like a drunken uncle staggers onto the dancefloor at a wedding: past it and likely to embarrass.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alcoholikaust
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I asked for the PC version, so we didn't get codes until Wednesday. (It looks awesome at 4k.) I'll let you know when my review is ready (I'm guessing next week).
please do :)

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I'm still bitter DOA basically stole Virtua Fighter's lunch. DOA1 to me was a casual VF clone with the universal parry/counter in place of the guard button :(

I guess it was mostly up to the timing and VF3 perhaps faltering in some ways while the games were never meant to be as immediately user friendly. Sucks.

Waiting for Yakuza 6 port to get VF5 FS on PC (VF2 is in Kiwami 2 & 5) how can SEGA not simply re-release these as stand alone titles ffs :(

Last edited:

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Got the digital deluxe version downloading right now. Eurogamer seems so ridiculously harsh. Like the reviewer has an issue with just the game existing in (current year) period lol.

I will say, that season pass price can go F itself though lol. I'll just buy the characters separately when they release the content that way.

Luminaire

별이 빛나는 하늘
Feb 28, 2019
Yeah that review seemed needlessly harsh. The Kotaku one is fair.

As for DLC, I think it’s a bad idea to get everything for everyone. I’d rather have a Character DLC Season Pass specific to my main(s). Granted that would probably also be $90...

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Well people can ignore costumes and cosmetic shit, reviews say you also unlock a lot of stuff by grinding similar to SFV rather than have to buy them all? Koei has crazy prices on PC in general, maybe if some of the games release as boxed copies you can later find cheaper copies in stores but digital you gotta wait for the rare sale for a game you really really want. Just look at DW9, despite that being a colossal failure critically (commercially it seems the fans bought it still even if they proceeded to review it negatively) Koei wasn't phased at all, haha, they're crazy, they're onto the 3rd ~50 euro season pass for that one!

Reactions: lashman

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
I don't really care about the post-launch DLC prices, since I'm the kind of schmuck that'll spend $10 on a MOBA costume, or $5 on a mount in an MMO.

But the grind to unlock the in-game cosmetics sounds like a nightmarish hell that I hope no other fighting game tries to replicate.

Reactions: lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
since I'm the kind of schmuck that'll spend $10 on a MOBA costume, or $5 on a mount in an MMO.
"part of the problem" 😋

but yeah, i HATE having to grind to unlock stuff ... don't get me wrong, there's nothing bad about a little challenge etc. but having to grind dozens of matches to unlock some small shit - yeah, that's baaaaaaad

Reactions: Ex-User (307)