News Death Stranding Release Date Reveal Trailer | Nov 8th

zonk

Mar 29, 2019
Finally the full trailer was shown on the stream after the event :)

Last edited:
Reactions: KainXVIII

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I still get this weird feeling the game isn't ready. By any modern AAA development timeline, it has taken a lightning fast time to develop (thanks Guerilla :p) and I'm afraid it might have unpleasant consequences. There's also the cheesiness/overacting of the cinematics that I really don't dig.

I guess it's not for me. Something about MGS always was compelling with Kojima's signature espionage/campiness. Here, it's not working.

That being said, as always I'm in awe at the systemic gameplay layers and their presentation. A lot of it has already been done and seen in MGS5 but the ladder, climbing and other tools are really amazing to see at work. I can't imagine the difficulty to implement.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
I'm still afraid it's going to be sort of a quasi MMO with those wide open spaces. Something akin to Dark Souls with invasions all the way to something like Guild Wars. That's not what I want.

Hard to imagine them building a single player focused game with such open space AND talking about connecting communities as a base story concept.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I cant help but think how much better this would look on modern hardware. The section showing combat had a pretty noticeable framedrops and tons of motion blur.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Looks about as crazy as later MGS games.

Also like it holds much of the gameplay principles.

Also like people will reach to find all kinds of irl konami/mgs shenanigan parallels and metaphors.

Hope it's better than MGSV and Sony's aid doesn't forbid a PC release later on.

Funny people elsewhere thought it'd just be a walking sim, it was pretty obvious where its inspirations come from even before they showed combat.

Last edited:

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
I'll be honest, as a game, it doesn't look all that interesting. It's like Kojima wants to make the most expensive and heavily interactive visual novels ever based on the trailers
I don't doubt he'd like to make more games like Snatcher but surely publishers wouldn't tolerate that, as ideal as that would be for all involved.

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
I'm so excited.
Kojima finally doing something new again
Yeah me too. Having played Snatcher and Policenauts for the first time just recently, I am looking forward to Unshackled-from-Konami Kojima.

jim2point0

MetaMember
Dec 24, 2018
Some people were blown away by this trailer but I'm not seeing it. Gameplay looks.... eh? And the story gets less interesting the more they reveal it. Was better when my imagination was running wild.

I'm still interested but... hype is low.

Crayon

Schizofantastic
May 25, 2019
I'm such a hopeless fanboy for Kojima. I could write a 10 out of 10 review for this right now lol. Please nobody trust my opinion of the game after it comes out.

Reactions: lashman

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018
Some people were blown away by this trailer but I'm not seeing it. Gameplay looks.... eh? And the story gets less interesting the more they reveal it. Was better when my imagination was running wild.

I'm still interested but... hype is low.
I'm going to have to third this. Doesn't help that the only game I've enjoyed from Kojima was ZOE2. Now that was a fun game to play.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Yeah, the trailer did nothing for me. It is just a mix of weird Kojima shit.

Its like..wow you can put a ladder. How unusual...
It's not a technically easy thing to do when you think about how it has to work, be stable and not break the game. I get why it might not look incredible but they have it as a general gameplay system that seem like it can be applied anywhere. It means physics situations that are bound to be complicated. They have to ensure it is climbable, that it stabilizes in good conditions, etc. It's a lot harder than, say, a grappling hook. Then there's the animation of the character climbing on it at inevitably different angles.

It's not the hardest problem in the world but it's still pretty impressive to me.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
It's not a technically easy thing to do when you think about how it has to work, be stable and not break the game. I get why it might not look incredible but they have it as a general gameplay system that seem like it can be applied anywhere. It means physics situations that are bound to be complicated. They have to ensure it is climbable, that it stabilizes in good conditions, etc. It's a lot harder than, say, a grappling hook. Then there's the animation of the character climbing on it at inevitably different angles.

It's not the hardest problem in the world but it's still pretty impressive to me.
Oh for sure. I'm not discounting the hard work that is behind that, but at least for me, the ladder or Link's hookshot are the same thing for me from a mechanical viewpoint. Nothing special, IMO.

Crayon

Schizofantastic
May 25, 2019
Aaaaahhhhhh I just saw it!!! Stunning!!

That ladder was the greatest thing I've ever seen!!! \o/

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
My biggest problem with the trailer is that everything in the gameplay segment is slow or takes a lot of time to complete. Also looks like the control is taken away from the player too often.

Reactions: InquisitorAles

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
A catastrophic supernatural event, where people need to come together to bring back humanity. With crazy names and crazier SciFi stuff.
WITH CELEBRITIES!

It's a full blown Kojima wetdream

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Ehhh a lot of assumptions told as facts. Had to disagree with a lot of things, or know even myself out of practice.
So, is it as impressive as he wrote, or not quite? I have my doubts as well because he works in a studio with close ties to Sony.

Nyarlathotep

The Crawling Chaos
Apr 18, 2019
My biggest problem with the trailer is that everything in the gameplay segment is slow or takes a lot of time to complete. Also looks like the control is taken away from the player too often.
My problem is everything that isn't just walking around looks like it turns into AAA Totally Accurate Battle Simulator

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Reactions: Alexandros

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
I doubt it. Kojima has visited Valve several times and a major japanese dev going to EGS would be surprising.
I think it's up to Sony, and it seems they have some kind of deal with Epic. Unless I'm mistaken, DS is their IP and they most likely have the final say.