RTTP Developer commentary in games

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018

One of my favorite things to do while watching blurays, is to listen to the commentary, and hear all the interesting facts that went into making a film. It can often be funny, very insightful, informative etc...

This has carried over into a few games, that offer a developer commentary mode where you get to learn interesting details about the development of the game or weird bugs that happened along the way. I was recently reminded of this while playing through Chronicles of Riddick again and struck by how fascinating it all is.

This thread was created just to put down a few games that I have played with it enabled, and to find games that maybe other people people didn't know had it enabled.

Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Athena
Deus Ex Human revolution
Portal 1 and 2
Left for dead 1 and 2
Half Life 2 and ep 1 and 2 and lost coast
Alan Wake
Grim Fandango remastered
Tomb Raider Anniversary
Deponia Complete collection
Pillars of Eternity

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
You can include Team Fortress 2 with your other Valve games. It may be Orange Box only? I just recall checking it out on there on 360 but can't say if the PC standalone version contains it.

Reactions: Prodigy
OP
Prodigy

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Just wanted to reopen this older thread to say that Alan Wake has another developer commentary above the one that had already released. Pretty sure it is a first in video games to have two commentary modes for the same game. Pretty cool.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
They are great but can be really disjointed and slightly awkward as an experience which is why i think they are not that frequent. It's much easier to make a video after release where you can cut to various scenes and areas of interest and use existing footage or developer modes to fly around.

Giant Bomb Wiki has 57 games listed with Developer Commentary tag.