Opinion Did you quit a game for dumb reasons?

fsdood

Jan 9, 2019
So I was playing The Messenger because a good buddy of mine recommended it, but after a certain point (after the stone boss), I refunded it. The reason was because the game had too much 4th wall breaking dialogue and it wasn't that funny, it was also sorta condescending with all the extra stories and trying so hard to subvert expectations and tropes. I did not care whatsoever about the story and the gameplay was not engaging enough for me to continue, so I just refunded it. My friend was baffled over the reasoning and thought it was dumb to refund it before getting to the good parts.

Did anyone else have their own weird or dumb reasons for quitting/refunding a game?

Reactions: lashman

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
No joke, back in middle/high school, I quit San Andreas because there were was explicit words used all the time. I was a "good kid" back then, haha.

The reason was because the game had too much 4th wall breaking dialogue and it wasn't that funny, it was also sorta condescending with all the extra stories and trying so hard to subvert expectations and tropes.
That's still a valid reason, IMO

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
I quit RDR2 after 4 hours of playing because I can't stand the controls. The controls response is so slow and everything have a loooooooong animation, But apparently people love it.

If it's come to PC I'm not sure if I'm gonna get it.

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
I quit RDR2 after 4 hours of playing because I can't stand the controls. The controls response is so slow and everything have a loooooooong animation, But apparently people love it.

If it's come to PC I'm not sure if I'm gonna get it.
I'd consider bad controls fairly valid. It's the sort of thing professional reviews will gripe about when it's especially notable. I put down They Bleed Pixels despite wanting to love it because I think the controls are an atrocity that would be extremely easy to fix (or give an option) but apparently despite many complaints the developer never agreed.

Kind of falls into the thread's topic but I've either not bothered starting a game or never returned to a game because it didn't have achievements/trophies. This is obviously more of an issue on PC or all Nintendo stuff. I've gotten better about this, but it still rankles me a bit (especially if it's a game that has them on other platforms.

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
I tried playing The 11th Hour a couple days ago. I quit playing because:
-The Steam version is based on the Windows 95 version and it wouldnt let me change the default midi device (Sound Blaster 16)
-There was a puzzle (the mouse puzzle) thats completely random and I tried to solve it for 45 minutes, only to learn later that the puzzle setup is not only random but most puzzle starting setups are unwinnable.

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
This might count:
I got the point in SUPERHOT where you are told to stop playing, put the game down, and then never got around to playing it again. That was two years ago.

So I suppose that I quit a game because it told me to.

Oheao

Jun 29, 2019
I quit playing Army of Two: The 40th day because it had different voice actors from the original and for some reason I just couldn't look past that. Or, at least I think they had different voice actors... Strangely enough that doesn't usually bother me so much.

Reactions: Exzyleph and fsdood