News Digital Foundry - Minecraft Ray Tracing Live Play: A Path Traced Showcase

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

Welcome to Alex Battaglia's Panopticon of Path Tracing! With an able assist from John Linneman, we embark on a journey through the newly ray traced world of Minecraft. How accurate is the path tracing implementation and how much power do you need to run it - there's not RTX acceleration on this one!

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Yeah I've been playing with these shaders for a few months and am a SonicEther patreon for a while (and been following him for years -- he has consistently shown the most impressive raytracing techniques across the industry that nobody else seems to ever talk about)...

The shaders are amazing. The DF video is very good because they have captured a lot of the specifics that make this shaderset so great. Diffuse indirect specularity is something I've NEEDED in games ever since the nerfed voxel-based Unreal Engine 4 tech demos.

I've tried to set up my own 'tech demo' rooms like they did but I ran into situations that would require even more robust pathtracing solutions... My dream for the future is when we can represent lightfield bouncing extremely well (such as the shape of a flashlight's beam bouncing off a mirror and being apparent on an opposite wall.

Reactions: Prodigy and lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Yeah I've been playing with these shaders for a few months and am a SonicEther patreon for a while (and been following him for years -- he has consistently shown the most impressive raytracing techniques across the industry that nobody else seems to ever talk about)...

The shaders are amazing. The DF video is very good because they have captured a lot of the specifics that make this shaderset so great. Diffuse indirect specularity is something I've NEEDED in games ever since the nerfed voxel-based Unreal Engine 4 tech demos.

I've tried to set up my own 'tech demo' rooms like they did but I ran into situations that would require even more robust pathtracing solutions... My dream for the future is when we can represent lightfield bouncing extremely well (such as the shape of a flashlight's beam bouncing off a mirror and being apparent on an opposite wall.
i can't imagine PTGI will get any better (performance- and quality-wise) ... not unless optifine gets a hefty update ... because that's basically what's limiting Sonic at the moment, and in a pretty significant way too

Reactions: low-G

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
i can't imagine PTGI will get any better (performance- and quality-wise) ... not unless optifine gets a hefty update ... because that's basically what's limiting Sonic at the moment, and in a pretty significant way too
Yeah this is what I understand. The tech I want won't happen in the next 5 years, but it's possible after that on high end PC...

Also it'll be nice when we aren't limited to blocky Minecraft or Quake 2 environments, as beautifully as this works for games with simple geometry.

Reactions: Prodigy

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
one more video showing the shader in action:

Man those materials are insane too. Too bad he doesn't release complete texturepacks. A whole texturepack of this quality would be mindblowing. This is real nextgen graphics. :)

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Man those materials are insane too. Too bad he doesn't release complete texturepacks. A whole texturepack of this quality would be mindblowing. This is real nextgen graphics. :)
yeah .... those textures look REALLY damn good ... makes all the raytracing stuff look even better, haha

Reactions: low-G

BO7AMMOOD

Lucas isn't sure what to do anymore
Apr 18, 2019
Yep, saw this a while ago and was floored by it. I don't even play Minecraft! (My kid is still obsessed by it though). Considering how... "inadequate" the performance is with all these bells and whistles turned on, I feel like these enhancements serve as an interesting glimpse into the future of games heavy on random generation.

Reactions: Prodigy
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Yep, saw this a while ago and was floored by it. I don't even play Minecraft! (My kid is still obsessed by it though). Considering how... "inadequate" the performance is with all these bells and whistles turned on, I feel like these enhancements serve as an interesting glimpse into the future of games heavy on random generation.
i imagine if Sonic could use RTX cores - it would run MUCH better on 20xx cards (just look at the difference in performance between 10xx cards and 20xx cards in games with raytracing) ... unfortunately optifine (the mod that Sonic relies on for shader support in minecraft) doesn't support stuff like that

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

BO7AMMOOD

Apr 18, 2019
i imagine if Sonic could use RTX cores - it would run MUCH better on 20xx cards (just look at the difference in performance between 10xx cards and 20xx cards in games with raytracing) ... unfortunately optifine (the mod that Sonic relies on for shader support in minecraft) doesn't support stuff like that
Yeah you're right, I forgot about that. When I first heard that they were bringing RTX support to the 10xx card I got very cautiously excited. However, after seeing those benchmarks I don't think I'll be bothering with that! Maybe turn them on for like a minute or so to see how it looks then turn them back off :LOL:

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Yeah you're right, I forgot about that. When I first heard that they were bringing RTX support to the 10xx card I got very cautiously excited. However, after seeing those benchmarks I don't think I'll be bothering with that! Maybe turn them on for like a minute or so to see how it looks then turn them back off :LOL:
they basically ONLY did that to encourage people to buy 20xx cards because they're selling like ass (thanks to the wonderful pricing)

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

BO7AMMOOD

Apr 18, 2019
they basically ONLY did that to encourage people to buy 20xx cards because they're selling like ass (thanks to the wonderful pricing)
Yeah I thought I was certifiably insane after shelling out on NVIDIA before the RTX cards. The prices on the 2080/2080ti though? Yikes!

hankenta

Dec 9, 2018
The DF video is pretty cool and very good as a showcase for what raytracing can do for real-time rendering. Linneman keeps ruining the impact of bounce light though by putting bright light sources everywhere and reducing every scene to a single flat colour. šŸ˜…
Maybe there's some nuance he's seeing that's lost to the Youtube compression...

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
oh definitely ... video compression absolutely MURDERS everything red (or close to being red)

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
The DF video is pretty cool and very good as a showcase for what raytracing can do for real-time rendering. Linneman keeps ruining the impact of bounce light though by putting bright light sources everywhere and reducing every scene to a single flat colour. šŸ˜…
It is kinda neat that you can have an additive effect to fill a room with rich color by adding a light as some random spot. I have a room I made a long time ago that has a torch in every space along the roof in a ring. But now with raytracing it has such a warm rich glow that is a bit hard to describe.

It's something very different from any rasterized lighting.