Opinion Disappointing Game(s)

FreakOrama

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
stitch.games
off the top of my head:

Fallout 4 (not just disappointment, just generally a mediocre to a bad game imo)
Desync (mostly on the world and atmosphere front)
Minimum (that it's not a f2p game yet.. love the game but no players )= )

Reactions: lashman

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018
Definitely Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

I so love the original from 2000. Never played Invisible War.
Human Revolution was OK as a reboot. Not perfect but better than I expected.

But Mankind Divided is so much different than HR. The setting doesn't do it for me.
The pacing is waaaay too slow and gone is the globetrotting great adventure.
It feels much more confined and thus, my actions feel insignificant.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I didn't mind MGS V, disliked the game after the first chapter. I haven't played any previous MG games except Ground Zeroes so I cannot be as critical as fans of the series
yeah ... it all goes downhill after the intro bit in the hospital

OP
Eriugam

Eriugam

Premium Title
Nov 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Definitely Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

I so love the original from 2000. Never played Invisible War.
Human Revolution was OK as a reboot. Not perfect but better than I expected.

But Mankind Divided is so much different than HR. The setting doesn't do it for me.
The pacing is waaaay too slow and gone is the globetrotting great adventure.
It feels much more confined and thus, my actions feel insignificant.
Human Revolution was really good, the mandatory boss battles let it down quite a bit. Along with some of the story missions.

Didn't play Mankind Divided and have no intention of doing so as I have heard it's nothing more than medicore, at best
Post automatically merged:

yeah ... it all goes downhill after the intro bit in the hospital
The hospital introduction mission isn't exactly a fantastic way to introduce the game. The pacing is terrible, cutscenes every minute and you are constantly staring at Ishmael crack..

Pankratous

Nov 7, 2018
MGSV.

I consider it to be one of the worst games of all time. It lacked literally everything that made MGS good.

CthulhuSars

Nov 2, 2018
I was coming in to drop my hot take of the day with MGSV and it looks as though I was beaten multiple times. There is nothing inherently wrong with it per say but growing up with MGS and MGS2 this game really was way off direction for me as a player. A lot of people love it and I am glad but it could not be further from my cup of tea. To make matters worse I found Quiet to be the worst fanservice character and that is saying a lot as I am a huge Disgaea fan (character design in that series is abysmal).

I would have picked NMS or Diablo 3 but those games rose from the graves they came out in like a wonderful phoenix to be better than originally released.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
This year alone:

Pillars of Eternity 2 & Ni No Kuni 2, I was so looking forward to them. Both of them are sequels, interestingly. Pillars 2 was so good for the first few hours, but it all goes downhill the further I progress. The story never gets interesting and I encounter more bugs. NNK 2 was a beautiful, yet very shallow, JRPG. Everything is soooo repetitive and predictable.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
Recently? Mirror's Edge Catalyst. The open world was much more boring that it seemed at first. I got tired of traversing the same areas over and over to get to the mission markers. The missions themselves had worse level design than the first game. It wasn't a bad game, just not as good as I expected.

Of all time it's probably Epic Mickey. Don't think there was ever a game I wanted to play as bad as that one, and that ended up being that bad. I even had the wonderful concept art as my wallpaper for a while (still have it on rotation, but it isn't the same). Ended up dropping the game less than 3 hours in, after an eternal tutorial that was a drag to play.

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
Shadow Warrior 2.
It's not exactly a new game, but I only played it recently on account of the GOG giveaway.

Unfortunately I found to be a massive step down compared to the first game. Weapons felt unsatisfying (due to the loot system?), upgrades felt insignificant, and the second stage (the Zilla building) suffered from a poorly executed neon aesthetic and equally bad looking enemies. I was playing it with a friend and we both completely lost interest during that the second stage and ended up dropping it as a result.

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018
Recently? Soul Calibur VI.

Oh my god, I have never seen a semi-big budget fighter in such desperate need of patches. The core mechanics of the game itself are legit broken. I don't even want to touch it in the state it's in.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Recently? Soul Calibur VI.

Oh my god, I have never seen a semi-big budget fighter in such desperate need of patches. The core mechanics of the game itself are legit broken. I don't even want to touch it in the state it's in.
oh no :(

OP
Eriugam

Eriugam

Premium Title
Nov 6, 2018
United Kingdom
MGSV.

I consider it to be one of the worst games of all time. It lacked literally everything that made MGS good.
I can understand MGS fans saying that, it's nothing compared to any of the other MG games. As a standalone game, I find it enjoyable to some degree. But I have not played any other MG games except Ground Zeroes

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata
Duke Nukem Forever... yeesh.
Fallout 4: lost everything that made the Fallout games interesting in exchange for average combat and... voice acting? Nope.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
Oh man, I just remembered F.E.A.R. 3. As a huge fan of the series, that game hurted me deep. At first I couldn't accept how bad it was, and forced myself to play it twice (once with each character, and on the highest possible difficulty each time). In time I grew to hate it, and it was only a few years later that I tried the co-op mode with a friend and had some fun when playing it as a brainless shooter. As a shooter it's decent (even though the cover feature makes no sense in an FPS), but as a F.E.A.R. title it's terrible. Every jump scare is predictable, the story is a mess, and the levels are nothing more than a bunch of arenas one after the other. It was so bad that I couldn't even get mad when the next, and final, entry in the series ended up being a multiplayer-only F2P shooter.

The first 2 games will live forever in my heart, especially the first one. The expansions and DLC are nice, they are more of the same so I can't fault them. The third game, as far as I'm concerned, is a perpetual stain in the history of gaming.

shepcommandr

MetaMember
Sep 21, 2018
Canada... eh?
Spider-Man? why?
A lot of reasons;
1) Narrative does nothing for 2/3s of the game. Centers around a character that gets largely pushed aside for a plot twist/larger villain reveal.
2) Recycled side content, and general repetition
3) Combat failed in larger fights, and never really felt as satisfying to me as other Arkham-style combat games.
4) Too many forced stealth missions.
5) 4 of the 6 "primary" villains in the game were underutilized and felt like padding, despite being rushed into the final chapter of the game.
6) City becomes to busy in the later portions, because of the recycled annoying side content, which takes away from the best part of the game... which was web swinging.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
A lot of reasons;
1) Narrative does nothing for 2/3s of the game. Centers around a character that gets largely pushed aside for a plot twist/larger villain reveal.
2) Recycled side content, and general repetition
3) Combat failed in larger fights, and never really felt as satisfying to me as other Arkham-style combat games.
4) Too many forced stealth missions.
5) 4 of the 6 "primary" villains in the game were underutilized and felt like padding, despite being rushed into the final chapter of the game.
6) City becomes to busy in the later portions, because of the recycled annoying side content, which takes away from the best part of the game... which was web swinging.
so basically: because it's an open-world game then :p

Shpeshal Nick

I see you on televishaaaan!
Sep 20, 2018
Melbourne
More that it's a poorly executed open world game, that sort of trips over itself thanks to kind of questionable design and narrative choices.
I almost never use the word repetitive for a video game. In fact, I generally argue with those that do.

But Spider-man is pretty much the first time I’ve played a game that felt repetitive.

Yakkue

ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ
Sep 6, 2018
Old Man's Journey was disappointing to me. I played about half of the game, but the gameplay was just no fun at all, seemed like only busywork to keep you engaged until the next predictable story point got triggered that didn't connect with me at all.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Old Man's Journey was disappointing to me. I played about half of the game, but the gameplay was just no fun at all, seemed like only busywork to keep you engaged until the next predictable story point got triggered that didn't connect with me at all.
i did finish it ... but yeah, you're right ... it was kinda meh

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Watch_Dogs 1, without a doubt.

I watched every single promo and news and interviews.
When I started playing, it really felt underwhelming, but still not to the disappointed level.
The climax was quite good, but then they shoved in an epilogue that made no sense, abruptly ended and "teased" a sequel. That was the worst thing I experienced in a 20+ hour game.
To add insult to the injury, I "pre-ordered" it, which came with a bonus mission that was just a slightly harder 15 mintue version of one of the existing activities.
And I'm the sort of person who rarely gets disappointed with media.

Watch_Dogs 2, however, is really good and the kind of revamp needed in the base of the original game.

xist

Healing...
Nov 14, 2018
I loved Skyrim....loved it, and poured over 2o0 hours into it. So, having missed out on Fallout 3 I thought I'd love that too...after all, open world, post apocalyptic setting, interesting plot, Liam Neeson....what's not to like? But for some reason it really didn't click for me. I got lost early on and messed up the plot trigger points which did me no favours, but I really hated the metro system, the loot/mission reward structure was really boring and I found most of the companions boring. World traversal just felt horrible in comparison to Skyrim too.

I'm still going to try New Vegas at some point, and possibly even Fallout 4 in the distant future (I own the former but not the latter), but I'm just not sure it's going to click.

Of course there's also the more obvious first experience with an Assassin's Creed game, but I expect most people had a similar experience with that.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
I'm still going to try New Vegas
If you can stick with New Vegas for its quest and writing, it's worth it. I recommend following the "tutorial" quest that is in the starting location. Be sure to grab some stability mods and bug fix patches.

Otherwise, I think you'll enjoy Fallout 4 as it is a much better "game" if that makes sense.

OP
Eriugam

Eriugam

Premium Title
Nov 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Duke Nukem Forever... yeesh.
Fallout 4: lost everything that made the Fallout games interesting in exchange for average combat and... voice acting? Nope.
Some of Piper's lines sound like they were recorded in a bathroom, suc
Watch_Dogs 1, without a doubt.

I watched every single promo and news and interviews.
When I started playing, it really felt underwhelming, but still not to the disappointed level.
The climax was quite good, but then they shoved in an epilogue that made no sense, abruptly ended and "teased" a sequel. That was the worst thing I experienced in a 20+ hour game.
To add insult to the injury, I "pre-ordered" it, which came with a bonus mission that was just a slightly harder 15 mintue version of one of the existing activities.
And I'm the sort of person who rarely gets disappointed with media.

Watch_Dogs 2, however, is really good and the kind of revamp needed in the base of the original game.
Completely forgot about the original Watch Dogs. But who can forget the iconic protagonist, what was his name again?

I will admit, the Alone digital trip was brilliant. Really enjoyed that!

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Lost interest in it maybe halfway through the game? Loved the first two reboot, played them on release from start to finish but this one. eh. Unengaging story, puzzles, and combat. Feels like the game focus very much on the story and sometimes can feel a bit more like a walking simulator for me. Amazing graphics though, even on ps4 pro. But yeah, pretty meh for me. Maybe the change of main developer from Crystal Dynamics to the Mankind Divided devs makes it too much of a slow game for me. I also left Mankind Divided halfway for the same reason, too slow and unengaging.