Opinion Discussion: Is Piracy Theft?

Is Piracy Theft?

• Piracy is theft! You're stealing creators' money!

• Piracy is NOT theft! But it can be wrong, breach of contract or illegal.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
I just want to reiterate that I fundamentally disagree with this idea that "theft" can only ever be about "removing someone's access to a physical object."

If I take an idea that you had and pass it off as my own, most people would say I've "stolen" your idea and that I've committed "theft". If you take my personal credentials and use them to commit fraudulent financial transactions, most people would say you've committed "identity theft." In both of those situations, the original idea or identity holder is not being "deprived" of their idea/identity, but the idea or identity is still being absolutely "stolen" to be used in an unauthorized manner.

Call it "intellectual property theft" if you want, or "licensing theft" or whatever. But the debate over the exact parlance to use is ultimately inane, because we all know what's being said.

FireEmoji

Apr 17, 2019
Piracy isn't theft, but it very likely is copyright infringement.
Piracy isn't theft... do you not see the issue here with how language is being used? lol

Piracy is a type of theft; we somehow applied this "virtually" to digital/online software without issue... but the term "theft" somehow is off limits.

We should all be demanding The Pirate Bay change it's name based on this conversation; it's not piracy guys, piracy is physical theft.

FireEmoji

Apr 17, 2019
My point is the word piracy predates the concept of digital products and is a reference to a type of theft.

People freely use the word even in an argument against calling illegal software downloads “theft” without realizing that they are using a term synonymous with theft.

Language doesn’t have to be exactly precise to communicate meaning; my heart is still in my chest but you all understand what I mean when I say EviLore’s rugged handsomeness stole my heart.

It’s selective “well ACTUally”-zing.

Reactions: Kvik

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
Piracy is theft in the same way plagiarism is theft I guess? If that's the hang up anyway.
Both could be considered a kind of intellectual property theft, so that would seem like an okay comparison.

That’s yet another case where the victim of the “theft” is not being “deprived” of an actual physical good, but a “theft” has clearly occurred. And plagiarism is, by definition, the act of stealing.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Piracy here is being used as an alternate definition for the act of sea crime.

Which is why I later in my post advocated for society coming up with a wholly different word for the thing that this describes. Copyright infringement is too broad and piracy and theft don't describe it well enough.

Reactions: lashman
OP
FreakOrama

FreakOrama

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
stitch.games
If I think about it, going from physical to digital, "borrowing" expanded to a whole new level (Even though you can still copy and distribute physical games / CDs), and considering my opinion that piracy is not theft, and piracy is associated with the act of theft (you know, pirates steal treasure =P ), so if I had to put a replacement word..

"Borrow" but you'r not actually borrowing at this point, so that's not the right word.
"Copy" is correct word wise, but somehow I don't think that fits either.
"Repro" maybe?

Eh, not too creative atm x3 Hopefully someone better at naming than me gets it better, or maybe keep the word and just that "pirate" is just expanded to hold more meaning aside from theft =P

Reactions: BoosterDuck

TubaZef

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
I think it really depends. You're not stealing from anyone, but you're getting a service for free and not giving any money to those that made the game.
But of course, it's a lot more complicated than that. For indie games where the money goes straight to the dev? Yes I think it could be considered theft. For AAA??? I don't know, it's definitely morally wrong but there's so much going on that it's hard to tell.

Of course that doesn't apply to old games. I think our copyright laws are too old and don't take Internet and digital media into consideration. IMO if a game is not available in any modern platforms, pirating it shouldn't be considered illegal.

the_marmolade

La-li-lu-le-lo
Sep 19, 2018
If the game is not on sale on any digital store or has not been reprinted. The only option is piracy unless you want to a physical version of said game and give money to a re seller who is not involve in the game development.

OP
FreakOrama

FreakOrama

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
stitch.games
Just remembered there's a poll system here. Added a poll for people to vote.. (not sure if I should've added it in the beginning, or if it's a good idea, but eh, more fun x3)

teezzy

formerly 'deftones r cool'
Apr 19, 2019
Piracy is not theft, it's more like copying someone's homework. I'm not stealing anything, just making a duplicate for myself.

Besides, not like the creators get screwed in most cases, moreso big corporations and shareholders. So fuck 'em.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
Just remembered there's a poll system here. Added a poll for people to vote.. (not sure if I should've added it in the beginning, or if it's a good idea, but eh, more fun x3)
Holy, purposefully and ridiculously loaded answers Batman.
Piracy is not theft, it's more like copying someone's homework. I'm not stealing anything, just making a duplicate for myself.

Besides, not like the creators get screwed in most cases, moreso big corporations and shareholders. So fuck 'em.
If we're counting plagiarism as "copying someone's homework," that's like the definition of intellectual theft.