News Dragon Quest XI Orchestral Music Mod Released

pahamrick

Pricky Ricky Dicky Bob
Sep 6, 2018
Steam Community :: Guide :: Dragon Quest XI Orchestral Overhaul Mod

No more pleb midi soundtrack for PC players, no sir!

But thou must, dear Luminary!

Welcome to the Orchestral Overhaul Mod for Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age.
The purpose of this guide is to demonstrate the proper installation of this mod, as well as showing how to install it alongside the popular Special K mod. The goal of this mod is to provide the proper auditory experience that is deserving of this masterpiece of a game by applying all available orchestral variants of the songs present in the game, as composed by Koichi Sugiyama and performed by the Tokyo Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra.
All necessary steps to obtain musical bliss will be detailed below.

Hopefully it need not be said, but...
PLEASE, follow this guide thoroughly as to avoid compatiblity issues, and so that your experience in using this mod is as frustration free as possible.

brau

huh?
Sep 20, 2018
Is there a sample of the mod working? The music doesn't bother me so far hahaha. Doesn't sound midi either.

Also, is there a way to get the death animations of enemies to not play at 30fps? Its a jarring transition from the rest of the game. Maybe some edits in the .ini file?

I need a tech thread with suggestions of edits.

Reactions: lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
i don't think you can do anything about the death animations ... i think they were actually animated at 30fps, sadly :(

as for music - just search for "Dragon Quest orchestral" on youtube :p

brau

huh?
Sep 20, 2018
Ugh... this would be terrible. There is no reason why they should be capped at 30 if the rest of the animations can run at 60fps. AC London had the same issue with the cloaks. They were animating at 30fps and they looked horrendous in context on PC. Lucky for us it was just an .ini change and that unlocked them. I was hoping something similar would be the case for this. T_T I need to ping Durante. He will fix it :D

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
yeah, but in AssSyndicate the cloth was simulated at 30fps, not hand-animated at 30fps :p big difference, you of all people should know that, haha

brau

huh?
Sep 20, 2018
Yea... but as an artist if i know these will be in PC viewed at more than 30fps then i would not decide to animate them at 30fps. You should know this!

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
well yes, of course ... but you know how Japan is with anything that's not a console game ;) and DQXI is 30fps on consoles

brau

huh?
Sep 20, 2018
Are there any other places that they have animated at 30fps? or just the death animations? and i think its not all death animations either. Its just a few. Its just weird.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
i'm not entirely sure, i only played it for like an hour so far ... sorry :(

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
not sure ... but i think Squeenix released an orchestral DQ soundtrack some time ago

brau

huh?
Sep 20, 2018
I didn't think much about the OST in the game. I didn't even think it was that low quality as is in vanilla. Is it really that much better?

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
well the original one is midi ... which, admittedly, can sound very close to the real thing, if done well ... problem with DQXI is - it's not done well :p

brau

huh?
Sep 20, 2018
I will look for a video. haha It really has not stood out as something that needed being modded. I much rather they find ways to do
1. save anywhere
2. save anywhere
3. save anywhere
4. fix 30fps death animations
5. save anywhere

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
well ... we'll see what the modders come up with ... might take a while, though :p replacing music is fairly simple (compared to other stuff)

brau

huh?
Sep 20, 2018
I was interested in the HDR mod support, but tbh, i rather that comes as official support for the game. Does the console versions support HDR? I am always baffled when console has HDR but not PC. Thank goodness games like Ni No Kuni 2 and SotTR have HDR support on PC. It works super well.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
i'm not sure honestly .... but i think it doesn't ... don't quote me on that, though :p

Reactions: brau
OP
pahamrick

pahamrick

Pricky Ricky Dicky Bob
Sep 6, 2018
brau You don't really need save anywhere, because the game basically auto saves anytime you transition to a new area / there's a load screen.

brau

huh?
Sep 20, 2018
brau You don't really need save anywhere, because the game basically auto saves anytime you transition to a new area / there's a load screen.
I dunno. I have noticed that between save and autosave when loading hte game there is always a 20 min difference. 20 mins in this game is quite a bit of grinding and gameplay so I rather not take chances. I ALWAYS save haha.

OP
pahamrick

pahamrick

Pricky Ricky Dicky Bob
Sep 6, 2018
I dunno. I have noticed that between save and autosave when loading hte game there is always a 20 min difference. 20 mins in this game is quite a bit of grinding and gameplay so I rather not take chances. I ALWAYS save haha.
I mean, if you're roaming around the same area a long time and then save at a campfire there's gonna be a difference -- but I just go back and forth between a transition and it auto-saves everytime. Or I fast travel to a new town, that'll always trigger an auto-save.

brau

huh?
Sep 20, 2018
That makes me anxious to lose progress haha. Because i do grind quite a bit. At least I do things around the same area and then when i get tired or ready to turn it off zoom to a fireplace and save.

SlasherJPC

MetaMember
Sep 25, 2018
I don't mind the midi, but the more options the better, this is awesome. I wonder if they will ever offer a dlc for console versions to include this.

OP
pahamrick

pahamrick

Pricky Ricky Dicky Bob
Sep 6, 2018
I don't mind the midi, but the more options the better, this is awesome. I wonder if they will ever offer a dlc for console versions to include this.
Yeah, pretty sure that'll never happen. The composer is the worst kind of shit heel imaginable, and he doesn't want his music used in the games outside of Japan basically.

Alcoholikaust

The Drunk Cat
Sep 20, 2018
Dirty Jersey
Just came to say: if you own the game on PC this mod took me 10 minutes to download and install. Worth it.

Yes the composer is a terrible person

But man does hearing an orchestra play these songs sound so much RICHER than midi

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Just came to say: if you own the game on PC this mod took me 10 minutes to download and install. Worth it.

Yes the composer is a terrible person

But man does hearing an orchestra play these songs sound so much RICHER than midi

well, using the mod is basically sticking it up to him, so .... even more reason to do it :p lol

Last edited: