Opinion Enderal is one of the best RPGs in years, it's free, and yet it's so underappreciated

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
I have yet to finish the game, but so far I'm highly impressed. Just wow, this is a legit great RPG and surpassed most RPGs released in the past few years. It feels like Gothic meets Morrowind.

The world is pretty dense and rewarding to explore, with lots of hand-placed loots scattered in the world and/or dungeons. The dungeons are very complex and deep, with lots of dead ends as well as verticality. There's no fast travel like in Skyrim, but it's replaced with a flight path system to surrounding towers like in WoW, and you can go back to a city/town with teleportation scrolls. There are puzzles too, but they're mostly seen in main quests. Everything from settlements to ruins feels handcrafted and makes sense. Economy is well-handled too, I always found myself looking for scraps and loots to sell, because I always need more money to learn skills and/or upgrade my gears. Skills are gained by reading the corresponding book, and merchants sell them.

Quests are pretty good and varied. There are simple quests like bounties which you can take in the notice boards, and there are also chained quests from important figures in the city. But most quests are not a simple go here and kill/gather that. Even the simple side quests have several steps to complete and going to multiple places, and have their own small twists. There are guild questline too, but what makes it different in Enderal is that they are trading guilds with their own ways and interests instead of fighter/mage/thief, or some political guilds like what you can find in a lot of RPGs. For some quests, there are no clear 'good' or 'bad' choice, sometimes you have to make tough choices (even side quests), which may impact the reward, your companion's view on you, or the fate of the NPC. Yeah, there's NPC relationship system in this game, they may like/dislike what you say so you have to keep that in mind, even in non-decision making dialogue. I love how your actions and dialogue choices directly affect the outcome of a quest and/or NPC relationship. With how well-written and loveable the characters in Enderal are, you wouldn't want to screw them off.

The main highlight for me is that I totally like the progression, that feeling of helplessness in early game where everything can wreck you easily. You have to run, but then you come back several hours later with better skills and gears to get your sweet revenge. The combat is very strategic, and every encounter can Iead you to your demise if you're not careful. Archers are deadly, and mages are even more deadly. With the warriors and rogues defending them from the front, you need to think you strategy carefully before engaging a group of enemies. Enderal has also incorporated lots of QoL, fixes, and graphical mods from Skyrim so you barely need any mod to enjoy it. I do still install a few mods though.

The story is also interesting (it's a nod to a certain game's plot) and I'm eager to see and explore more.

Reactions: Milena and dummmyy

Kthulhu

Feb 28, 2019
I don't own the original version of Skyrim on PC, but I may need to finally setup family sharing with my GF who does have the original version.

Reactions: lashman

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
Ive tried it twice- ages ago and last month, and it just runs like shit for me, so I cant enjoy it.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I'm going to try it eventually it's just a matter of finding the right time to start a new ~80 hour game.

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I finally started playing this about 10 days ago and I am already some 35 hours in. It is fantastic - better than Skyrim in every way that matters to me - I think I haven't been this immersed in a game since Kingdom Come Deliverance and Cyberpunk 2077.
I did add ENB after some 15 hours, which instantly transformed visuals from Skyrim-like last gen to pretty much current gen, it looks really nice now. Also, I haven't seen any significant bugs yet, nor crashes - it feels like a polished AAA RPG. Voice acting is great as is the soundtrack.

The world is so well designed, handcrafted, and Ark is one of the coolest RPG cities.

If you have any interest in this type of game - open world narrative-driven RPG similar in style to Gothic 2 or Kingdom Come, you are basically mandated to play Enderal. Specifically its Special Edition version (it runs much more performantly).

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Yes it is incredible, unfortunately I didn't finish my playthrough, had the same thing that happens in Skyrim got distracted for too long and never finished main quest. I will definitely go back and replay.

Reactions: Panda Pedinte

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I am at 70 hours and still enjoying it and jonesing for playing more when at work. It is so good..

Also I found out lead writer of Enderal is at Alkimia working on Gothic remake, so now I am very curious what new questline and characters will be introduced.

• Gib
Reactions: Panda Pedinte

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
You make me want to replay it. Maybe as one of the new classes they added in the "DLC", it was released far after I played it...

Absolutely loved it, and team SureAI is pretty much why I love Bethesda games, they make great things out of hollow shells.
It can't be understated how much better their progression is (though I don't like the class design so much in Enderal compared to Nehrim), and how not relying entirely on level scaling works so much better.

If you liked it and you can stomach going back a bit in time, they released Nehrim before, a total conversion for Oblivion:

And it's also fantastic, but obviously a bit janky. And again, I like the way they did skill progression being less attached to class archetypes, it's much more Gothic-like.

They did Arktwend for Morrowind before Nehrim too, but that one isn't on Steam and it's a bit more of a hassle.

Note that all of them are in the same universe, and you'll definitely get more out of the lore if you play them all. In order ideally, but that's not necessarily so easy nowadays.

Reactions: Stevey

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
If you liked it and you can stomach going back a bit in time, they released Nehrim before, a total conversion for Oblivion
Yeah I know Nehrim. I even installed it back in the day, I think when there was no voice acting yet. But somehow never got around to playing it, probably because I had my fill of Oblivion.

I definitely intend to give it a proper chance this time around, after Enderal. I hope there is some good ENB mod though because the vanilla visuals of both Enderal and Oblivion don't quite cut it.

Arktwend...I found out about only recently on SureAI website, but I don't think I will be able to go back to Morrowind times.
But damn, I respect the hell out of these developers. Making games like this, all for free in spare time...crazy.

Few more recent shots