News Epic, Improbable create $25 million fund to transition devs away from Unity

Dec 11, 2018
I'm sure no one wants this forum to just turn into "People reacting to every little thing Epic does," but this seems like a big deal:

Unity found itself at the center of a controversy today, and now competitor Epic Games is turning up the heat. Unity is cutting off future support for the online-multiplayer development platform SpatialOS from accessing its game-development toolkit. Improbable, the owner and operator of SpatialOS, posted a blog about this corporate spat and claimed this move threatens developers. In response, Unreal company Epic and Improbable revealed a $25 million fund for Unity devs. The companies plan to grant that cash to studios that leave Unity for other tools.
“To assist developers who are left in limbo by the new engine and service incompatibilities that were introduced today, Epic Games and Improbable are together establishing a $25 million combined fund to help developers transition to more open engines, services, and ecosystems,” Sweeney and Narula wrote. “This funding will come from a variety of sources including Unreal Dev Grants, Improbable developer assistance funds, and Epic Games store funding.”
The whole Improbable/SpatialOS thing read really weirdly to me earlier today, and kind of made some amount of sense why Unity might not like the situation.

But that's not really the news, Epic is just SWINGING their money around now.

Epic, Improbable create $25 million fund to transition devs away from Unity

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Someone had asked about this thing affecting Rust if it did at all since they use unity (it doesnt) and they gave this answer about it and explained in their own words about the whole thing going on and I thought it was pretty useful

The people who were reporting on the story were complaining about having to constantly change/update it while writing it, so the fact that Epic was that quick to whip out 25 million dollars is hilarious.

No, because Rust and SpacialOS have nothing to do with one another. Rust doesn't employ it. Rust has it's own dedicated server that's effectively just a no-graphics Rust executable that synchronizes the game state via network RPC.
SpacialOS is just a gimmick trying to get people to buy into a multiplayer hosting service. It doesn't do anything that hasn't been done already independently by others. The only novel thing about it is that it's for sale to the public to use instead of something traditionally used in the back-end of some AAA publisher.
The "debacle" is because Unity wants a piece of the pie. SpacialOS is utilizing Unity's technology and making money off of it in a way that Unity can't monetize, so Improbable (the company behind SpacialOS platform service), needs to negotiate a deal with Unity to become an authorized platform partner. In fact, they've already been trying to negotiate a deal for a while now, and were told that they were breaching the Unity Terms of Service and End User License Agreement over a year ago. Improbable is just whining because they can't get their free lunch.
So realistically it just comes down to Epic trying to steal away developers from unity and get them to use unreal in the long run while the generally uninformed public doesn't really look into anymore beyond the headline or whatever and just sees it as "Unity bad, Epic good"

OP
OP
Sampson
Dec 11, 2018
Someone had asked about this thing affecting Rust if it did at all since they use unity (it doesnt) and they gave this answer about it and explained in their own words about the whole thing going on and I thought it was pretty useful

The people who were reporting on the story were complaining about having to constantly change/update it while writing it, so the fact that Epic was that quick to whip out 25 million dollars is hilarious.

So realistically it just comes down to Epic trying to steal away developers from unity and get them to use unreal in the long run while the generally uninformed public doesn't really look into anymore beyond the headline or whatever and just sees it as "Unity bad, Epic good"
This explanation is great, and kind of confirms what I thought about Improbable's side of the story seeming pretty questionable.

But Epic just whipping out the money to "solve" the problem is just crazy. Not to be too conspiratorial, but maybe it was all planned ahead for them to announce like this yesterday?

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
This explanation is great, and kind of confirms what I thought about Improbable's side of the story seeming pretty questionable.

But Epic just whipping out the money to "solve" the problem is just crazy. Not to be too conspiratorial, but maybe it was all planned ahead for them to announce like this yesterday?
wouldn't be surprised tbh ... no one just whips out $25m in 5h like that .... even if they have the fuck you money ... it's still a corporation (a publicly traded one, no less) ... stuff like that takes time

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
OP
OP
Sampson
Dec 11, 2018
I was reading through the other tweets of Sergei's and this is GOLD:

I didn't realize Improbable was valued at $2 billion this year, and had received a cash infusion from NetEase, another multibillion dollar corporation.

This whole thing reeks of a scam, and everyone from Era to /r/games and Twitter are eating it up.

EDIT: Holy hell, the guy who owns and founded the company, Herman Narula, is the son of Harpinder Singh Narula, an ultra-wealthy Indian business/construction magnate. This whole thing is a load of nonsense.

This is not some poor startup company, it's a company with a metric load of cash behind it, both from outside investment, and rich owners.

Last edited:

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I didn't realize Improbable was valued at $2 billion this year, and had received a cash infusion from NetEase, another multibillion dollar corporation.

This whole thing reeks of a scam, and everyone from Era to /r/games and Twitter are eating it up.

EDIT: Holy hell, the guy who owns and founded the company, Herman Narula, is the son of Harpinder Singh Narula, an ultra-wealthy Indian business/construction magnate. This whole thing is a load of nonsense.

This is not some poor startup company, it's a company with a metric load of cash behind it, both from outside investment, and rich owners.