News Falcom Announced Ys IX: Monstrum Nox | イース9 モンストルム・ノクス (PS4 - 2019)

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.

Official Site: イースIX -Monstrum NOX- | Falcom

Some tidbits.

- Game is set in a prison city called Balduq in the Glial Ördlingen region northeast of Esteria.
- "Where is Adol Cristin?" was mentioned, and featuring at least one new adventurer.
- This new adventurer will deal with secrets of the prison and presumably, looking for Adol.
- There is a race of beastfolk ("Monstri") imbued with special powers.
- The Monstri has special field abilities (just like from Ys Celceta)

---
Just announced at Falcom's shareholder meeting.

A monstrum is a sign or portent that disrupts the natural order as evidence of divine displeasure.[326] The word monstrum is usually assumed to derive, as Cicero says, from the verb monstro, "show" (compare English "demonstrate"), but according to Varro it comes from moneo, "warn."[327] Because a sign must be startling or deviant to have an impact, monstrum came to mean "unnatural event"[328] or "a malfunctioning of nature."[329]
Glossary of ancient Roman religion - Wikipedia

---

So it's a new Ys game, no formal date announced yet, just 2019. I was hoping it was a new game, but Ys is welcome all the same.

A friendly reminder to those who follows Falcom's twitter account: They've been known to tweet spoilers from time to time. Be cautious if you don't want to be spoiled on this game, and obviously Sen III/IV.

Last edited:
Reactions: RionaaM and lashman

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
N.O.X, huh.
Next Overlooked Xanadu

That image definitely looks a bit more like their 90/00 output, so I'm excited.

Reactions: suiko and lashman

suiko

saviour of worlds
Nov 12, 2018
I'd take a new game from Falcom, if it's anything like Trails in the Sky !

Reactions: lashman
OP
Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I've updated the OP with some new screenshots, and a few known details (+my own speculation) :p

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Yeah, a woman too, by the looks of it. Adol is suspiciously missing from the media we've seen so far.
Kinda strange to switch the protagonist since Adol has always been the hero in all games except for Ys Origin
Post automatically merged:

Btw, is V: Lost Kefin, Kingdom of Sand only the game in the series that's not available on Steam?

OP
Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Kinda strange to switch the protagonist since Adol has always been the hero in all games except for Ys Origin
I'm pretty sure we'll still be able to play as Adol though. Falcom press release mentioned something along the lines of "Where is Adol Christin?", So I assume that he'll turn up sooner or later.

Btw, is V: Lost Kefin, Kingdom of Sand only the game in the series that's not available on Steam?
Basically the one entry which hasn't seen a modern port, yeah.

Last edited:

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
Awesome! I need to play more than half of this series still, but more Ys is always good. Let's hope the PC port is good.

Reactions: Kvik and lashman
OP
Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
not if NISA get their hands on it ;)
I don't want to approach a new game from Falcom with a defeatist's attitude, but I must admit, it's getting rather hard to get excited when I can't trust the company who did the localisation of the previous game to actually do a better job when a much better standard of has been set previously in the past.

One can easily look at Ys Celceta, and Trails of Cold Steel II where there are hardly any bugs, the PC port is exceptional, the localisation is stellar, and the community manager/project directors are enthusiastic and are long-time fans of the series.

However, these details I mentioned above will escape some people, simply because they chanted "but muh portability" until they turn red in the face and can't hear anything else.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
One can easily look at Ys Celceta, and Trails of Cold Steel II where there are hardly any bugs, the PC port is exceptional, the localisation is stellar, and the community manager/project directors are enthusiastic and are long-time fans of the series.
... also Durante, you know ;)

Reactions: Kvik

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
Very much looking forward to this, think I'll use these news as motivation to play through 8 soon.