Opinion Favorite Genre Of Games?

Weerez

Hello, I'm here, I'm waiting
Sep 20, 2018
I'm going with platformers. Whether it's 3D, side scrolling, 2.5D, single screen, infinite runner, or even isometric, give me some running and jumping and I'll be happy. To be fair, I have a lot of nostalgia for the genre, but I also like the combination of level design, mechanics, challenge, charm, and power ups. And there's just something satisfying about all that running and jumping. I think the world would be a better place if platformers were the dominant genre like they were in the 3rd-6th generations. Hell, my all time favorite game is Super Mario 64.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
This is a tough question. Many years ago I would have said FPS, no question about it. Today, I don't know. Perhaps narrative adventure, à la Telltale or Life Is Strange. But my 2018 GOTY so far is Celeste, which is a 2D platformer, so it's hard to pick one genre.

Reactions: Weerez and lashman

chobel

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2018
Lately? Anything with isometric view, I feel like they almost always deliver

But if you're talking proper definition of genre, then I'll say RPGs followed by metroidvania.

Reactions: Weerez

pahamrick

Pricky Ricky Dicky Bob
Sep 6, 2018
RPGs for sure. I'm not really too picky when it comes to RPG sub-genres, I tend to like them all. Western, CRPG, JRPG, TRPG, SRPG. Give me a nice solid RPG game, no matter if its 30 hours long or 100 hours long and I'll be pretty happy. I do tend to lean pretty heavily to JRPG mainly because they tend to have systems and fight mechanics I prefer (SMT!).

OP
Weerez

Weerez

Hello, I'm here, I'm waiting
Sep 20, 2018
I've noticed quite a few platformer fans in this thread, particularly for Metroidvanias. I also see a few shmup and turn based/JRPG lovers, and one person even gave a shoutout to puzzlers. It's nice to see that old school sensibilities appear to be alive and well on this forum.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Probably:

• Open World 3d games (Ass. Creed, GTA etc...)
  • Isometric RPG/strategy (turn or RTwP)
  • Puzzle Platformers
  • Puzzle Games
  • Pinball

Reactions: lashman