News FFXIII breaks new ground in the Xbox One X BC Enhancement program.

CrazyJuan

Pirate Legend
Oct 9, 2018
I just found this really fascinating and also found it to be the Xbox BC team really going above and beyond for a "free" service.

It was particularly interesting to me because I'd fired it up prior to learning this and was quite surprised at the quality of the cutscenes. I'd also played Ninja Gaiden Black on OGBC on my X and the pre-rendered cut scenes got no love from the enhancements effected thru the game engine. Same with Crimson Skies. With the expectation that the cutscenes wouldn't be improved I was sitting there like, I dont remember them looking this good, but....

If you have one and the disc or the game on digital its absolutely worth firing up to see it on a 4k. Also kinda nice to revisit turn based FF.

Reactions: lashman
OP
CrazyJuan

CrazyJuan

Pirate Legend
Oct 9, 2018
wait so they updated the cgi cutscenes?

edit: x enhance blue dragon you cowards
Yea it seems so. And they look really quite good. The update file that includes the wrapper for the emulator was 30+ gigs or so, so getting those cutscenes in to that was likely part of it, as something of a guess. I'm just impressed that they went thru the effort of working it out with squeenix for a "free" (discounting you have to buy the hardware to take advantage of it) service.

And I concur, Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey could both get this treatment.

Reactions: lashman

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
That's great, especially because it's a free patch. Nowadays many companies would just sell the patched version as a remaster, so seeing the original game updated and made backwards compatible is a very nice thing.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Microsoft's Backwards Compatibility programme is one of the best things that came out this decade for games. Phil Spencer is doing so many good things it's baffling.