RTTP Final Fantasy VII - It's still really good?!

Have you recently revisited FF7?

• Yes, because of E3/FF7R hype

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • No, but I may eventually

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • No, not interested

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I've sinned and never played FF7

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

bbq of doom

MetaMember
Nov 16, 2018
As some know, I've shared a bit of my enthusiasm for FF7 in the past few days after Square's strong E3 showing of the Remake (I have yet to see anyone who's actually played the demo say anything remotely negative about it).

Hype for FF7R is, for better or for worse, through the roof.

So what did I do? I decided to fire up FF7 after 20-plus years since finishing it as a kid. Now back in the ye olde days, my first experience with FF7 was through a PC demo that took an absurdly long time to download (overnight on a dialup--and then some!!) and on the original PlayStation. FF7 was my first real JRPG, as I had a Sega growing up and thus had no proper exposure to the Final Fantasies of the prior generation, including the vaunted FF6. This time around I decided to grab it on PS4. I played a bit of it via PS4's remote play feature until the truth of our streaming future reared its ugly head and I ultimately grabbed a Nintendo Switch and bought FF7 on there.

(I will get it on Steam, I just think if I buy it thrice in a week that such a transaction is likely bad luck and a portend of doom and damnation.)

Right now I'm about at the end of "Disc 1" and it's absolutely absurd how well it's held up, chunky character models and blurry pre-rendered backgrounds aside. The story is as affecting as I remember, the sheer amount of depth and stuff to do is as awesome as I remember, the battle system is one of the best of its kind, and the soundtrack is, well, in the running for greatest of all time. I was a bit worried about playing through this knowing how everything ends, but coming back to it some 20 odd years later has given me not only a fresh perspective on certain bits of dialogue and story, but a different, more mature understanding of the politics, the emotions, and the general themes and beats throughout the narrative. For instance, I understand the underlying violent and corrosive nature of corporations way more now than I ever could as a kid. Same thing with love and relationships; I simply did not--nor could not--grasp what that was and what it meant when I was in middle school. Perhaps most significantly, I did not know loss as a kid, at least not in the sense that it's portrayed throughout the story. I do now, and that has given me a very different and emotionally rewarding experience. That, of course, will truly come to a head later with Aerith.

I often don't include FF7 in my favorite games list mainly because there are games I simply remember better (Morrowind, Shenmue and the bloody forklifts, Jedi Outcast, Doom and Wolf 3D, etc.), but in hindsight, I think that's likely a massive oversight on my part. Now, I'm not sure if it's number 1 or anything like that, but it's certainly a strong, strong contender for the spot--at least for today.

I can't be alone in that regard, can I? Has this past week or so given anyone strong pangs of nostalgia and a desire to go back to FF7? Have you?

OP
bbq of doom

bbq of doom

MetaMember
Nov 16, 2018
I've been thinking of revisiting it, but it's mainly due to the Remako HD mod (neural networks upscaling).

But I always changed my mind after looking at the installation steps. :negative-blob:
I assume it's no ordinary walk in the park?

fsdood

Jan 9, 2019
I was thinking of going back to it since the remake will very much deviate from the original quite a lot and it might as well be a different game. Anyone who can look past the graphics (it's biggest con) and use QoL features on modern ports will find it's a good game, honestly, since Square was at it's very best during that period.

coming back to it some 20 odd years later has given me not only a fresh perspective on certain bits of dialogue and story, but a different, more mature understanding of the politics, the emotions, and the general themes and beats throughout the narrative.
This is where I am on a lot of older games. It's surprising and sorta depressing in a way where the older games messages still applies today :upside-down-face:

Reactions: bbq of doom
OP
bbq of doom

bbq of doom

MetaMember
Nov 16, 2018
I was thinking of going back to it since the remake will very much deviate from the original quite a lot and it might as well be a different game. Anyone who can look past the graphics (it's biggest con) and use QoL features on modern ports will find it's a good game, honestly, since Square was at it's very best during that period.

This is where I am on a lot of older games. It's surprising and sorta depressing in a way where the older games messages still applies today :upside-down-face:
There was a scene where a couple? two friends? committed double suicide at the train station in Midgar and it's something that was absolutely lost on me as a kid but is absolutely not lost on me now. There have been a few moments like that already and I expect there to be more as the story unfolds.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
I actually have that Remako HD mod installed atm. Yeah it is a huge pain to get installed, but I guess since I work in computers tangentially I was able to understand it and get it done without toooooo much trouble.

It does look great, but man... I just don't have time between all the great games coming out this month and this year to really dig in.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
I started to play FF7 last year, after that I left Midgar I didn't continue to play it. Had other games to play. Not that the game was bad, it was just I already finished it more than a decade ago.

What's so good to play it on PC is the modding community. Apart from the Remako HD mod I found another mod that could enable any-time save. You could save anywhere in the game, which is a great life-saver for those who got life apart from gaming :D. There are other functions in this mod too, but I don't check them. I think there is a character editor

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Haven't played 7 and 8 in a very long time (more tha 15 years). I was thinking of revisiting 8 so the timing of the remaster they announced at E3 is perfect.
For 7 I'll wait for the remake. Maybe I'll play the original after playing part 1 of the remake. Should be interesting to revisit it after getting a taste of the remake and it will also refresh my memory of the rest of the game, there are details I don't remember anymore so whatever changes the remake makes to the story might go over my head. The turnaround for the other parts might be quicker but it'll still be at least a couple of years until we get part 2.

There was a scene where a couple? two friends? committed double suicide at the train station in Midgar and it's something that was absolutely lost on me as a kid but is absolutely not lost on me now. There have been a few moments like that already and I expect there to be more as the story unfolds.
This kind of stuff is what I mean. If they removed this from the remake I wouldn't even remember it was there to begin with.

dummmyy

Dumb fool
Nov 14, 2018
I remember my brother playing FF7 back on PSX and watched most of it, but only played it myself once, but never beat it because I knew what was going to happen. Now I don't exactly remember and after seeing some of the new FF7R trailers as well as the Remako mod trailer, I'm thinking I might install it this weekend and start it after finishing Yakuza Kiwami 2.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Oh, don't mind me. I'm just posting this Tifa fanart because reasons.

Speaking of FF VII, I can recommend playing with The Reunion mod for those who would like to revisit the game. The one component of import out of this mod collection is the Beacause mod, which is a retranslation/relocalisation of the script, based from the original Japanese script.

Reactions: dummmyy

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I played it on PC when it first came out so very long ago... but I never finished it. I remember getting to Aeris' death and being annoyed because I didn't have another healer I think? Anyway, I will probably never re-visit it because I have way too many other games to play.

OP
bbq of doom

bbq of doom

MetaMember
Nov 16, 2018
I played it on PC when it first came out so very long ago... but I never finished it. I remember getting to Aeris' death and being annoyed because I didn't have another healer I think? Anyway, I will probably never re-visit it because I have way too many other games to play.
My current Cloud takes primary healing responsibilities because I knew what was coming lol.
Haven't played 7 and 8 in a very long time (more tha 15 years). I was thinking of revisiting 8 so the timing of the remaster they announced at E3 is perfect.
For 7 I'll wait for the remake. Maybe I'll play the original after playing part 1 of the remake. Should be interesting to revisit it after getting a taste of the remake and it will also refresh my memory of the rest of the game, there are details I don't remember anymore so whatever changes the remake makes to the story might go over my head. The turnaround for the other parts might be quicker but it'll still be at least a couple of years until we get part 2.

This kind of stuff is what I mean. If they removed this from the remake I wouldn't even remember it was there to begin with.
Someone on Twitter spotted a flower (from Aeris, presumably) on the bar at Tifa's and that's certainly a detail that wasn't really possible back on PS1 due to graphical limitations. So while there is a chance the stuff I mentioned gets ignored/passed over, I am looking forward to what can be added that touches upon and impacts the story.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dandy
OP
bbq of doom

bbq of doom

MetaMember
Nov 16, 2018
Update:

Finished my playthrough on Switch this Saturday. Playtime is showing about 50 hours, and I think the save is somewhere near there, give or take a couple of hours (or 5).

Unlike my younger self, I defeated Emerald and Ruby, in addition to Sephiroth. The story ended just as nicely as I remembered and it was still really, really affecting.

One thing I do thing can be improved--give us a tad more to do in each town! There's much neat culture/worldbuilding going on in 7, so why not lean into it a bit with the remake? Here's hoping!

Reactions: QFNS and lashman

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Spent the last weekend playing the game through the end of Act 2. I still enjoyed it as much as I did when I played the original PSX version all those years ago.

I have to say that The Reunion team has done a great job with the Beacause mod. I recall that in the past, most of the dialogue in the confrontation between Sepiroth and Cloud at the cliffs went over my head. Although probably it's mostly because I was too young and stupid to understand it. :flare_lmao:

The darker undertones of the series are definitely something I appreciate as I grow older. As to be expected, Sakaguchi and Uematsu are at their peaks here. It is perhaps Squeenix's intention to recapture that same magic in FF VII R, but I lament the fact that the remaster is ultimately still unfinished and it will be years before it is a complete package. The EGS exclusivity thing certainly didn't help my initial impressions of it.

Anyway, back to the game. Coming off the FF pixel remasters, the random encounters didn't feel too bad, although some minigames still feel tedious to do (like the Condor tower defense), even with turbo mode. Completing the skill set for the entire Enemy Skill materia is also a process. I have half a mind to just look up a guide for this since combing the entire world map for the appropriate skills is a task I'd rather avoid.

Onto the final two acts this weekend! :flare_bath: