Q&A Final Fantasy XV has severe framedrops for no apparent reason.

Nahkapukki

Finest Finn
Sep 7, 2018
The Iciest Hole
Does anyone have a handy remedy for this? It occasionally drops from smooth 120fps to hitching heavily below 10fps. Nothing seems to affect the drops from the graphics and I have enough VRAM and RAM to push what I have set on there.

i5-8600K no overclocks
2070 Nvidia fancy GPU
16gb fastish RAM
Installed on SSD

Reactions: lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Does anyone have a handy remedy for this? It occasionally drops from smooth 120fps to hitching heavily below 10fps. Nothing seems to affect the drops from the graphics and I have enough VRAM and RAM to push what I have set on there.
i don't think there's anything you can do tbh ... it's probably how their engine works or something

OP
Nahkapukki

Nahkapukki

Finest Finn
Sep 7, 2018
The Iciest Hole
Damn... It's super annoying 'cause I get smooth FPS all the time then it suddenly plummets. Wouldn't mind it as much if the performance was a bit choppy 'cause then I'd "get it" but now it's jarring as heck.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Damn... It's super annoying 'cause I get smooth FPS all the time then it suddenly plummets. Wouldn't mind it as much if the performance was a bit choppy 'cause then I'd "get it" but now it's jarring as heck.
yeah ... it's not a great port, unfortunately

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I thought it was for all the "Windows Version" statements all over the title. :p It does look good and it runs well outside of the hiccups which is a shame.
yeah, it really is a shame ... it looks so good

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Have you tried SpecialK for it? I couldn't try it for myself but according to PCGW the mini-mod specifically helps with the following in FFXV:

Allows users to block certain input devices to prevent the game from hitching every time it loads the icon for another input device.

Lowers the Steam API overhead of the game; provides more stable frame render times and shorter loading times on certain hardware configurations.

Includes options that fix thread scheduling options in some threads, that causes starvation on graphics/audio threads.
Here's the Steam discussion for it.

Reactions: Nahkapukki

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
Just throwing this out there, by chance do you have page file disabled?

I ask this because at ds3 launch I was getting stuttering and frame drops like mad. Randomly enable page file to like 8gb (system has 16gb) and it fixed it for me.

Never know may help or not.