|OT| FMV games

fokkusu

Ashen
Dec 9, 2018

What are FMV games?

FMV (full motion video) games are video games that utilize pre-recorded video files instead of sprites, vectors or 3D models. Many games uses FMVs to present information as cutscenes (Wing Commander, Command and Conquer). However the term "FMV game" refers to the games that are more interactive and are fully focused to the full motion videos. This thread is mainly about these games, but of course general talk of FMVs is alright as well.

Games from the past

Beginning - 198x

Cliff Hanger

Dragon's Lair

Time Gal

Golden era - 199x

7th Guest

Bad Mojo

The Beast Within: A Gabriel Knight Mystery

Corpse Killer

The Dame Was Loaded

Harvester

Night Trap

Phantasmagoria

Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective

Spycraft: The Great Game

Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive

Toonstruck

The X-Files Game

Quiet era and new beginning - 20xx

The Bunker

Contradiction

Her Story

Late Shift

The Shapeshifting Detective

She Sees Red

Super Seducer

Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure

Upcoming games

Corpse Killer - 25th Anniversary Edition

Telling Lies

Last edited:

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
awesome OT ... we definitely needed that one! :D

you might want to adjust the titles a little bit, though :p oh, and don't forget to add a thread cover! :)

Reactions: fokkusu

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
A couple others to add to the OT:

The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker.

It's unique compared to most other FMV games where it's not just a matter of selecting dialogue options and letting the story takes its course. Instead you type questions and it does its best to parse what you're asking and you have to work on triggering the correct responses. It can have its frustrations but its very much worth checking out. Also, the killer is random each time so that's neat. Overall its most comparable to something like Her Story (though I've enjoyed my time with Her Story more, largely due to better acting).

#WarGames

I'll be honest that I wanted to like this more but its the follow up from the Her Story creator and for $3 it's fairly interesting to give a shot.

Telling Lies

And this is the upcoming game from Sam Barlow and considered the successor to Her Story. I'm really curious to see how this turns out.

FunktionJCB

Something Wicked This Way Comes
Oct 10, 2018
Just finished a couple of playthroughs of She Sees Red.

The game is an enjoyable, short (around 35 minutes per playthrough) FMV title, and a nice first attempt by studio Rhinotales.

I has some similarities in terms of look and interactivity with Late Shift, but She Sees Red has some "adult" content, with a few scenes of violence/gore, and a small bit of nudity.

I still have half of the achievements to unlock, so even after 2 playthroughs, there's still plenty to see.

The developers are planning to have a few more games of increased length (one of them an horror title), so I look forward to check whatever they are doing next.

Last edited:
Reactions: fokkusu and lashman