|OT| FMV (full motion video) games

fokkusu

Burn baby burnšŸ”„šŸŽµ
Dec 9, 2018

What are FMV games?

FMV (full motion video) games are video games that utilize pre-recorded video files instead of sprites, vectors or 3D models. Many games uses FMVs to present information as cutscenes (Wing Commander, Command and Conquer). However the term "FMV game" refers to the games that are more interactive and are fully focused to the full motion videos. This thread is mainly about these games, but of course general talk of FMVs is alright as well.

Games from the past

Beginning - 198x

Cliff Hanger

Dragon's Lair

Time Gal

Golden era - 199x

7th Guest

Bad Mojo

The Beast Within: A Gabriel Knight Mystery

Corpse Killer

The Dame Was Loaded

Harvester

Night Trap

Phantasmagoria

Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective

Spycraft: The Great Game

Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive

Toonstruck

The X-Files Game

Quiet era and new beginning - 20xx

The Bunker

Contradiction

Her Story

Late Shift

The Shapeshifting Detective

She Sees Red

Super Seducer

Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure

Upcoming games

Corpse Killer - 25th Anniversary Edition

Telling Lies

Last edited:

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
A couple others to add to the OT:

The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker.

It's unique compared to most other FMV games where it's not just a matter of selecting dialogue options and letting the story takes its course. Instead you type questions and it does its best to parse what you're asking and you have to work on triggering the correct responses. It can have its frustrations but its very much worth checking out. Also, the killer is random each time so that's neat. Overall its most comparable to something like Her Story (though I've enjoyed my time with Her Story more, largely due to better acting).

#WarGames

I'll be honest that I wanted to like this more but its the follow up from the Her Story creator and for $3 it's fairly interesting to give a shot.

Telling Lies

And this is the upcoming game from Sam Barlow and considered the successor to Her Story. I'm really curious to see how this turns out.

Deleted member 113

Just finished a couple of playthroughs of She Sees Red.

The game is an enjoyable, short (around 35 minutes per playthrough) FMV title, and a nice first attempt by studio Rhinotales.

I has some similarities in terms of look and interactivity with Late Shift, but She Sees Red has some "adult" content, with a few scenes of violence/gore, and a small bit of nudity.

I still have half of the achievements to unlock, so even after 2 playthroughs, there's still plenty to see.

The developers are planning to have a few more games of increased length (one of them an horror title), so I look forward to check whatever they are doing next.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: fokkusu and lashman

Deleted member 113

Corpse Killer launches in just a few hours:

This release is filled with extras (hours of making of and behind the scenes materials, and it seems they even managed to include back a few zombies that were originally deleted from the game).

This one is of particular interest to me because, unlike Night Trap and Double Switch, I don't own this game on the SEGA Mega CD, so this will be my first time playing the game. :giggle:

Reactions: fokkusu and lashman

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I know it's short and annoying at times and doesn't really have branching paths but "The Daedalus Encounter" is another FMV game i'd like to see on GoG or Steam. I remember playing it years ago and tried it again a few years ago and there's something about it i like and i don't mean Tia Carerre. It's buggy, has annoying puzzles but my nostalgia is strong with this one.

Deleted member 113

There's a new Chinese FMV game out:

It's a sequel to:

The first game is quite enjoyable, especially for the price tag.

There's a bundle available with the 2 games (which, for some reason, is currently only listed on the first game's store page):

Deleted member 113

I know It's a little late but I didnt know that they were doing anymore in the series

They are (well, somewhat).
This started as a fan remake of one of the older entries, but the original developers ended up being so impressed (rightly so; see the few gameplay clips around, they look very impressive), so this has now turned into an official game, with new footage and script by the original team, who is now working closely on the game.

Reactions: Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
They are (well, somewhat).
This started as a fan remake of one of the older entries, but the original developers ended up being so impressed (rightly; see the few gameplay clips around, they look very impressive), so this has now turned into an official game, with new footage and script by the original team, who is now working closely on the game.
Oh cool stuff either way, woohoo more Tex!

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Crayon

Schizofantastic
May 25, 2019
I put in Double Switch for the first time a few months back. Holy smokes I tried but I couldn't do it. I tried. I was getting the hang of things but it broke me within hours.

And earlier this year, I went back to a game with many fond childhood memories. The 7th Guest. This was much as I remember it and a nice trip down memory lane.

KainXVIII

DOS forever!
Dec 19, 2018
That's simple smooth playback that every TV or mediaplayer has? Not a fan, frankly.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
That's simple smooth playback that every TV or mediaplayer has? Not a fan, frankly.
I was more impressed with the res bump and then my nostalgia kicked in. I was going to comment on it not being that pleasent to watch for me due to the smoothing. It avoided "Floaty Face Syndrome" as i call it though but yeah, it's why i mentioned the AI Upscalers with some temporal processing because doing it via avisynth is not ideal.

Deleted member 113

There's a new release out today:

It's published by, as usual, Wales Interactive (the label for modern FMV games), and it's out on PC, and consoles.
The developer is an awesome guy, who had a beta program running through itch.io. The earlier versions I played there were fun, so I'm looking forward to checking the "final" release. :)

Deleted member 113

The Chinese developers behind the Visitor series just launched a new FMV game:

Reactions: lashman

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
FMV thread and no mention of Rebel Assault?
ah shit ... you're right ... fuck

fuck, fuck, fuck ... hmmm

ok, have this one then:

Megarace was the first FMV game I ever owned, and I think it's pretty great playing for a FMV faction game:

And of course there's Return to Zork and Myst...
I remember those two! Played them for a very long time.

My very first though was Inca 2, but it was too bad even for me. I returned it and got Rebel Assault 1 instead.

Deleted member 113

It seems I missed the launch of another Chinese FMV game a couple of months ago:

A sequel will be released in a few days (although currently, there's no English options listed):

Reactions: lashman

Deleted member 113

Thanks. :cat-heart-blob:

It's nice to see people supporting the genre. :highfiveblob:

---

By the way, for those unaware, the sequel is also on Steam (in fact, it was released on Steam a year before the first game), and is also currently on sale:

Reactions: fokkusu

KenOD

MetaMember
Oct 25, 2018
First of all, nice work listing and sharing all these games. A couple I don't even have, which is nice that I have something to pick up now.

Second, perhaps a FMV fan can help me remember/find a game. It was from the 90s, no idea of PC or console. It was about a man being chased across the US, first from his house then just a variety of other locations all done for humour all radically different like a cowboy bar. Game play was just pick one of four directions, only one would work and the rest would kill him/get him captured.

Deleted member 113

Second, perhaps a FMV fan can help me remember/find a game. It was from the 90s, no idea of PC or console. It was about a man being chased across the US, first from his house then just a variety of other locations all done for humour all radically different like a cowboy bar. Game play was just pick one of four directions, only one would work and the rest would kill him/get him captured.
Could it be Wirehead?

Reactions: lashman and KenOD

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
"Press X Not To Die" is 50p on Steam until the 18th November. Short, cheap and stupid, it's good fun... Or it'll make you cringe. For under a quid it's worth finding out!
There's a Demo and the Special Edition is 79p.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Deleted member 113

"Press X Not To Die" is 50p on Steam until the 18th November. Short, cheap and stupid, it's good fun... Or it'll make you cringe. For under a quid it's worth finding out!
There's a Demo and the Special Edition is 79p.

Yeah, the game is well worth a look, for those who enjoy, say, Troma films, or similar "silly" low-budget productions.

It's fun, inexpensive, and it doesn't overstay its welcome (but has enough variations/content to warrant a few playthroughs).
I finished it myself a few times when the game launched. ;)

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Operation - Eco Nightmare: Jay Tholen's (Hypnospace Outlaw/Dropsy) Giant Bomb List made me aware of this one, i'm sad i missed it back then as it looks dreadful/awesome. I'm conflicted.

23 Minute intro:

Giant Bomb list link:

Archive.org link: