Opinion Forgetting ADS and mostly doing Hipfire in FPS games can be awesome

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018
After being on an FPS bender throughout the decades lately, I was reminded again how ADS in first-person shooters wasn't that common the further you go back in time.
Modern Warfare was my first shooter of the modern era that introduced me to ADS everywhere and I liked that aspect. Seeing ane extension of the weapon being finally used and offering a wide variety among itself was something my younger self enjoyed.

I finished multiple FPS campaigns in the last few weeks, some old, some new. Blue Shift, Counter-Strike Deleted Scenes, Metro 2033 Redux and Black Ops II. The most satisfying among them was Metro and after thinking about it a while, I came to the conclusion it just offers the best of both worlds. There's a healthy amount of customization in terms of optics for those who prefer medium-distance precision shooting but during the game and after some experimentation, I found out putting a Laser and forgoing optics of any kind was the most fun.

Hipfire baby! The weapons still behaved accurately and didn't force me to stop and aim down sights to hit well. The mobility increased, a fun amount of speed entered combat and without right-mouse clicking all the time, it was more comfortable simply.

Mind you, ADS can be great and even the best option for games. It really depends on a case by case basis. I wouldn't have loved ARMA3 anywhere close if it wasn't about careful scope gameplay. So, what are your thoughts?

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Not needing to hold the L2/Zoom in button for shooting is my preffered way of playing shooters. If it is within the peripheral vision my shotgun should be blasting whatever's infront of me into gibs.

Reactions: lashman

ScreamingTrees

Dec 12, 2018
One of the reasons I loved the last Doom, not needing to use ADS. With the modern Wolfenstein games, I kept pressing ADS out of habit and I had much more fun when I got back to firing from the hip.

Reactions: lashman