|OT| France - On Brûle Jusqu’à 64 Ans

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Great thread idea.
In my limited experience there are a lot of French or at least French speaking people here and on other popular forums.

So yeah, I'm looking at buying a smartphone, and would also like to not increase my bill by an unreasonable amount.
For now I'm Orange Open Up 2h 100Mo (TV Box, Unlimited Internet Phone, 1gbits/s Fiber, 2h and 10 mo mobile) for 47.99 /month

If I want the same with unlimited mobile I have to shell out 71.99 /month, which seem more than a little unreasonable.

Reactions: ISee
OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Yeah 72€ is little much! I pay like 29€ at Free now for 1gb fibre and cell with unlimited call and texts and unlimited 4G. The fibre is under cheapher intro price for one year and later it will be I think 30€. It includes TV and landline too but I don't use them.

For the cell plan have you Li Kao considered just going with different provider?

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Yeah 72€ is little much! I pay like 29€ at Free now for 1gb fibre and cell with unlimited call and texts and unlimited 4G. The fibre is under cheapher intro price for one year and later it will be I think 30€. It includes TV and landline too but I don't use them.

For the cell plan have you Li Kao considered just going with different provider?
I'm even considering changing the whole provider. Every option are on the table. I'm tired of paying through the nose, and while I really would like unlimited everything, I don't use my phone near often enough to justify such a bill.

Edit - Damn, yeah, Free is 15 + 15 basically.

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I'm even considering changing the whole provider. Every option are on the table. I'm tired of paying through the nose, and while I really would like unlimited everything, I don't use my phone near often enough to justify such a bill.

Edit - Damn, yeah, Free is 15 + 15 basically.
The thing with Free, I'm in Paris and here it works great, not sure how their coverage is around France. Check and see if you find some reviews that bring up how they work where you live.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I would vouch for Free as well. It is cheap, especially for mobile phones.

That being said, I only have a basic mobile phone and I don't use it much, so I am happy with paying 2€/month for it (unlimited texts + 2 hours of call).

For optical fiber, I use their Freebox 4k, which I pay 30€/month for. The price has increased for new subscribers a few years ago, so it is 35€/month now.

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
For optical fiber, I use their Freebox 4k, which I pay 30€/month for. The price has increased for new subscribers a few years ago, so it is 35€/month now.
That's what I have too and they have an offer now where it's like 14€ per month for the first year.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
[UWSL]Un "thread" français sans personnes qui parlent français. [/UWSL]C'est un peu surprenant.
Allez, vous magnificent Medames et Messieurs, Utilisez votre beau mais [UWSL]compliqué Langue 🇫🇷.[/UWSL]

Or don't, but I'd like the practices. 😝

• Toucan
Reactions: Li Kao
OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Just to make sure, I'm about to post a photo series named "Les Chats de Belleville" but I'm not sure if its like that or if it should be "de la Belleville"?

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
First option !
That is, if you are talking about the neighborhood named Belleville.

Reactions: ISee
OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Alright let's do this, it was just a matter of time even with the risk a huge fight, but which one is the best cheese in France? :D

I can't decide between aged gouda, compte or cantal jaune.

• Disapproval

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
What are you talking about ? Cheese has a strong taste and make you feel like you just hate a dead animal. That's a good cheese :so-good-blob:

• Toucan
Reactions: ISee and lashman
OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
What are you talking about ? Cheese has a strong taste and make you feel like you just hate a dead animal. That's a good cheese :so-good-blob:
Yes I realize my choices are very tame, but thats because those are the ones I usually get and havent tried any fancy, smelly cheeses! But yeah I do love cheese that has alot of taste!

So recommend me some!:D

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Obligatory :blobdrool:

FYI this was 'inspired' by a real cheese from my région, the 'Pétafine'.
Every rests of old cheese, liquor, garlic. I would advise caution :sweaty-blob:
That being said the one you (rarely) find in supermarket is shite.

Unfortunately, I didn't find a subtitled version, but here's the liquor scene.

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Obligatory :blobdrool:

FYI this was 'inspired' by a real cheese from my région, the 'Pétafine'.
Every rests of old cheese, liquor, garlic. I would advise caution :sweaty-blob:
That being said the one you (rarely) find in supermarket is shite.

Unfortunately, I didn't find a subtitled version, but here's the liquor scene.
Watching the first video I was getting really hungry! Then it came to the bit "je suis vegetarien" haha, yeah as a vegetarian myself.

Reactions: lashman

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
True story, I had 'that' happen in a Reblochon. I wasn't hungry anymore :loudly-crying-face:

Reactions: Le Pertti
OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I do love me some camenbert! I used to put it on burgers I made. Also funny, when I used to live in Finland my friends would complain how much camembert smelled, it doesnt even smell that much!

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
C'est la fête nationale! 🇫🇷

What do you guys usually do on this day?

I started a tradition to go to the luxembourg park and have a beer. Sure it's only been two years haha but lets see if I can keep it up, seems to be rain today.

• Love

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
C'est la fête nationale! 🇫🇷

What do you guys usually do on this day?

I started a tradition to go to the luxembourg park and have a beer. Sure it's only been two years haha but lets see if I can keep it up, seems to be rain today.
Nothing. As I was saying on Discord yesterday, past the me being depressed part, it really feels like July 14th in France is not July 4th in America. I don't really see people doing special things except being glad to have a day free from work.
But that's just me, please enjoy your day ! :cat-heart-blob:

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Nothing. As I was saying on Discord yesterday, past the me being depressed part, it really feels like July 14th in France is not July 4th in America. I don't really see people doing special things except being glad to have a day free from work.
But that's just me, please enjoy your day ! :cat-heart-blob:
Ah yes that's the impression I also got and I think that's good that the day can be whatever someone wants. I guess for me creating traditions is just to get some stability being in a new country and all.:D

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Ah yes that's the impression I also got and I think that's good that the day can be whatever someone wants. I guess for me creating traditions is just to get some stability being in a new country and all.:D
Oh the tradition part was nice. It's always warming to make up a thing at a certain date. I listened to the same song every Dec 24th.
I suppose it's one of the way someone can give life a sense of stability, that's very nice.

• Love
Reactions: Le Pertti
OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Oh the tradition part was nice. It's always warming to make up a thing at a certain date. I listened to the same song every Dec 24th.
I suppose it's one of the way someone can give life a sense of stability, that's very nice.
Yeah for my birthday and for christmas I have zero traditions haha, but yeah I think I will try to find something for them too.

• Love
OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
What are some good and cheap webhosting firms in France? The one I'm using now is in Sweden and it works just fine but at some point I thought I would move them to a "local" site and maybe even get a .fr domain, which I can't get at the Swedish host.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I have two errands to do today. I can't wait :anguished-face:
But they are for the cat, so I don't complain too much.

• Love

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Monooboe I don't know how it is in Paris but if it's the same as here, we have had some godly cool days :blobdrool:

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Guuuuys! I need your help, I'm trying to apply for a school and here is the email but I don't really understand all the things they say I need to send in.

Afin de réaliser vos évaluations dans de bonnes conditions veuillez trouver en pièces jointes :

• Le mode d'emploi pour passer les évaluations
  • Le détail des évaluations que vous aurez à passer en fonction de la formation choisie

Une fois la passation effectuée, merci de me tenir informée par retour de mail en ajoutant svp :

· CV
· lettre de motivation
· le dossier de demande de formation
· les attentes
· L’épreuve complémentaire d’anglais

Restant à votre disposition pour tout renseignement complémentaire.

Cordialement,
I did some tests on the net and I filled in some papers they sent in. Are those the "dossier de demande de formation"?

Also what are "les attentes"?

Also they need proof of English but they didn't specify more than that as to what or how that proof should be?

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Li Kao Wok

Do you guys know the best way to sell stuff in France and specifically Paris. I thought I would get rid of my old phones. What about those pawnshops that I see around Paris? I'm guessing they don't give that much.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Don't know. At first glance I would say squeeze the middle man and just try your hand on Le Bon Coin.
But I don't know if it's one of these categories that seem to attract scammers like magnets, like DVD some years ago.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Sadly, I cannot help on that subject. I agree with Li Kao about Le Bon Coin, both as a good outcome and as a potential haven for scammers.

I'm guessing they don't give that much.
I would guess the same. You could ask about it in a shop which does not appear too fishy, but it is likely that the offer will be extremely disappointing for you.

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Has any of you in France tried those Carrefour gift cards? How do those work?

In the microsoft rewards program you can get gift cards for Carrefour and I'm thinking about getting one for 10€.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Wok Li Kao

Help! How do I cheaply print in France, and more specifically in Paris? I need to print like 100 pages in total in Color and all the places I find online are quite expensive.
I don't print much, especially in colour. If I had to, I would try to find one of these shops:

You have to bring a USB key. Then, you can access a printer:
  • which a clerk can use for you,
  • or which you can use by yourself, so it is cheaper in theory if everything goes well. :evilblob:
You also have to pre-purchase a card with a given number of copies if you want to do the job by yourself.

Otherwise, I would look for shops near Sorbonne, because students have to print their university thesis somewhere. :smart-thinking-blob: