News Free copy of Assassin's Creed Odyssey for Project Stream participants

Kuroyume

Spokes for the Wheel of Torment
Oct 21, 2018
I signed up earlier. I hope I get in. I've been wanting to also check out Playstation Now, but apparently you need a PS4 controller for it which I don't have. It may be the final impetus to make me install chrome other than gmail and youtube running less like shit on it?

Reactions: lashman

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
My hatred for game streaming services has bitten me this time. Hopefully I still get in.

xist

Healing...
Nov 14, 2018
I'm almost grateful that It's US only as otherwise I'm not sure I could resist such a decent freebie.

SpikeHitman

Bad Framerates, Bad Opinions
Sep 20, 2018
Oh snap. I saw this in my feed this morning so I signed up. Because I don't really care about google's streaming tech, but I held off on odyssey because frankly I never got more than halfway through origins. But a free copy of it? I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Krakn3dfx

Sean Murray Apologist
Dec 17, 2018
Denver-ish, CO
Signed up, Didn't realize you could still potentially get in. Still working my way through Origins, but would be cool to have a free copy of Odyssey once I do.

Kuroyume

Spokes for the Wheel of Torment
Oct 21, 2018

:wd_hellyeah:

Yaaaaaaaay. Got in.

Played for about 15-20 minutes. Streamed/ran smoothly except for a hiccup in framerate every once in a while which seemed to occur mostly during the cutscenes. Pretty good experiece so far. All I had to do was install chrome, plug in my 360 controller, and login to the Project Stream page using my uplay acccount info and it ran full screen and picked up my controller inputs instantly. Didn't have to install any software besides chrome.

Game is pretty overwhelming for a newbie like myself. This is like the 40th game in the series? I have never played any until today and I don't know what's going on. Who the assassins are... This company and that company and why historians are fighting them. Anyway, looking forward to playing more later.

pahamrick

Pricky Ricky Dicky Bob
Sep 6, 2018

:wd_hellyeah:

Yaaaaaaaay. Got in.

Played for about 15-20 minutes. Streamed/ran smoothly except for a hiccup in framerate every once in a while which seemed to occur mostly during the cutscenes. Pretty good experiece so far. All I had to do was install chrome, plug in my 360 controller, and login to the Project Stream page using my uplay acccount info and it ran full screen and picked up my controller inputs instantly. Didn't have to install any software besides chrome.

Game is pretty overwhelming for a newbie like myself. This is like the 40th game in the series? I have never played any until today and I don't know what's going on. Who the assassins are... This company and that company and why historians are fighting them. Anyway, looking forward to playing more later.
Also got in, and yeah. I was pretty impressed with the quality. The only negative thing that I noticed on my end was a slight but very noticeable lag in button presses.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Yeah I also got in.

Not very impressed. When the camera is still it's high quality, but when the camera is quickly moving over detailed areas the compression artifacts destroy the image quality and it starts to remind me of Onlive.

The input latency is bad too. It's easily over 100ms actual latency -- very noticeable 100% of the time. The way people were talking about this I actually started to buy into the hype. But it just feels like a video game streamed over the Internet feels, my ping to google is 22ms. It feels just like 44ms + the processing time of a server rack that is distinctly inferior to my PC.

I think judging by the other forum's responses there will be a lot of gamers that don't mind -- they're probably playing consoles on high latency LCD TVs...

Now I'm just waiting for my free PC copy now after the 15th to play this game properly.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
yeah, honestly i could never see myself switching to streaming .... the lag and compression just kills that stuff for me

so until they come up with something that can stream the game to me at 50Mbps+ with minimal lag (and by “minimal” i mean — pretty much identical to local) — it's a no-go for me (plus there's the entire “you don't own shit” thing on top of everything else)

ScreamingTrees

Dec 12, 2018
I've tried signing up through a VPN. If I get invited I'll see if I can actually run it then. I just want the free game! Can't ever imagine using streaming all the time.

Stop It

Dec 19, 2018
Just waiting to get in and totally playing it from the US*

Via a VNC, that I'm not setting up because I'm an idiot.

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018
I got in using a VPN but no dice getting the game to start with the one I'm using.
No free Odyssey, boo.