Q&A Genuinely curious as to what Bethesda Soft has to do be redeemed in y'all eyes?

YourFriendMaynard

The flame is it's own reflection
Dec 21, 2018
I know there was a thread on ERA on this awhile back and I didn't read it because whatever.

But I've been thinking about it for quite awhile, what does Bethesda have to do redeem itself during the E3? The stream of terrible news about FALLOUT 76 seems Bethesda may have hit the rocks? I can't think of anything that'd make it worth even watching an Bethesda E3 presentation besides whatever Zenimax is working on now. After buying The Evil Within 2 (and after I buy DooM 2016) I may be done for awhile with that company.

Any thoughts

Reactions: lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
honestly? not much .... just release their games on every possible platform and store on PC ... and that's it

yeah, F76 sucks donkey balls, but i enjoyed all their previous games

Reactions: texhnolyze
OP
YourFriendMaynard

YourFriendMaynard

The flame is it's own reflection
Dec 21, 2018
Honestly I just want to see what Shinji Mikami has been working on for a while

seems like we haven't heard anything in a year or so

SpikeHitman

Bad Framerates, Bad Opinions
Sep 20, 2018
I mean, are we talking about Bethesda the publisher or Bethesda the developer?

The publisher just needs to keep shipping their games. Rage 2 and Doom Eternal look great, and I'm sure they'll keep cooking things up for TESO. They'll be fine.

Bethesda Game Studios though....yeah. I actually enjoyed poking around in F76, but even I can call a spade a spade. They needed to hit the ground running with some good news after their rocky launch and it just seemed to be one misstep after another. It'll retain a small, dedicated fanbase, but it won't get the community it needs to be viable long term. At this point all we have to look forward to from them is Blades, and then Starfield.

SpikeHitman

Bad Framerates, Bad Opinions
Sep 20, 2018
Yeah, it's gonna be a weird couple E3s from bethesda with nothing significant on the horizon from BGS.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Put their stuff on Steam for one? The Bethesda launcher is bad. Really bad.

Secondly, I don't want online stuff in those types of RPG's they make. I just don't. Hope and pray that Fallout 4 is not representative of their RPG's going forward. Giving the character a voice, severely limited dialog options and dumbed down conversations in general. Deciding your characters job and story totally ripped out all the choice you as a player should have in such an RPG like their past ones. In FO4 you were ALWAYS going to be a parent with a pre-determined past looking for their lost child. And somehow the dialog ALWAYS ends up there. You cannot escape from the character Bethesda wrote FOR you.

In previous Bethesda RPG's like Skyrim/Oblivion if you didn't wanna follow the main story right away you didn't have to. I miss those days.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
To redeem for the general gamer? Just make a well reviewed next RPG, whether that's TES or the Starfield thing. For me? They have to knock it out of the park and redeem themselves for everything since Morrowind (which had its flaws too but they were excused at the time for what it brought to the table imo) so that would be a taller order, I don't know if they can without hiring new talent as I always find their main RPGs fundamentally flawed in almost every aspect.

Luminaire

별이 빛나는 하늘
Feb 28, 2019
As a developer, I don't really care for TES or Fallout, so there's little for them to redeem themselves for me.
As a publisher, some news on The Evil Within 3 or whatever Tango is working on would be great.

The Fallout 76 debacle has been entertaining, at least.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Just release a new single player Elder Scroll or Fallout, that's it. Fallout 76 is just an outlier, it doesn't affect them in the slightest for me.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
They haven't really fallen that much in my eyes, all that stuff with fallout 76 I see just as an experiment which failed and I want devs/pubs to do as much and as wild experiments as possible. Now if the next game they make is still gamebryo then I might be done with them. XD

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Fallout 4 was disappointing and Fallout 76 has been a clusterfuck of gigantic proportions. They don't have to be redeemed in my eyes because they released a mediocre and a bad game. Stuff like that happens due to different factors. I still enjoy the stuff they publish and if they make a good game in house I'll be there. Maybe not day 1 but I'll be there.

Though not on the Bethesda launcher.

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
I'm not really interested in their Fallout games, I had enough after 3, but I will buy the next TES game, unless it turns out be an online monstrosity full of microtransactions or a Bethesda launcher exclusive :disapproval-blob:

Deleted member 113

What they have to do?
Not much, just release a game I want to play, in my store/client/platform of choice.

But, considering all the indicators coming out of Bethesda in both fronts (all pointing to them releasing their games exclusively on their launcher, and going strong on online elements or games, and GAAS, leaning heavily on monetization and micro-transactions; they aren't hiring all those monetization experts for nothing), I don't see any of the above happening, so my wallet will happily remain closed.

A few years ago, Bethesda's games were a great example of single-player games done right by a big publisher. I pre-ordered every title they released, games like: Dishonored, The Evil Within, Prey, Wolfenstein: The New Order, and its DLCs and sequels.
But, they weren't happy with sales, and progressively have been going in the direction every other big publisher has been going for: mobile games, online-only games or games with a strong online component, and in-game monetization.

In a way, I can't blame them for it. Every big player in the industry has been making a killing with free-to-play games with monetization elements, cosmetics micro-transactions, and multi-player games. so they are just another one going for the same thing.
At the same time, as a gamer that doesn't play mobile games, and pretty much exclusively plays single-player games, what they now offer doesn't have any appeal to me, so of course I won't buy them.

Add to the mix the Bethesda launcher, and the appeal is even smaller to me.
I have no big problems using other clients (outside of the EGS client, which I simply refuse to use and support, purely out of a question of principle), although I prefer to use Steam, among other things for convenience, and because I expect Valve to be around for a while, so I'm hoping I won't lose access to my games (like I did with purchases from, say, the Telltale Games store, from Desura, and others).
But at the same time I do have a bit of a problem when a company decides that I'm only allowed to purchase their games outside of my clients of choice. It makes sense for them, they get more money out of purchases. But, it's at the expense of my preference and convenience, so between buying a game on the Bethesda launcher, or buying any of the dozens of great games that launch every week on Steam, I'll go for the later games any day of the week.

Last edited by a moderator:

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
As a publisher i'd like to see them continue to put out good games even if they're not always to my taste and interest on a launcher that i don't have any real problem supporting.
As a studio i'd like to see them continue to support SP story driven games in an open world with plenty of chances for me to go off-beat and just wander about looking for grand vistas and little pockets of interesting places with a smattering of dungeons and encounters for lore and loot.

I see F76 as an experiment that didn't go quite right, it was inevitable they'd try and i figured it would be something that i wasn't that interested in but i didn't expect it to be as entertaining as it has been so far looking in from the outside. I don't know if they'll cut their losses and try again later, keep chipping away at the issues with F76 and learn from the experience with maybe a soft relaunch at a later date.

One thing for sure is that it won't be the last GAAS game to launch too early and have a rough time of it.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
If we're talking about the direct Bethesda studios, I don't know what would change my mind at this point.

I think their recent RPGs are fairly hollow and shallow, and they're so buggy to be almost unenjoyable at times. The bugs were charming when the games seemed more impressive in scope, but now they're just frustrating to me.

Similarly, the bugs were also seemingly more acceptable when Bethesda RPGs were more unique on the market, because we accepted the bugs as a product of Bethesda doing something no one else really was. But that's no longer the case. I hesitate to call it an outright "Golden Age" of RPGs, but we have so many huge open-world, RPG and RPG lite-experiences now.

We have everything from: more traditional isometric inspired CRPGs like Divinity: Original Sin II and Pillars of Eternity; (fairly) polished Eastern Europe open world games like TW3 and Kingdom Come; more traditionally Euro-jank games like ELEX; experimental efforts like Vampyr or Nier: Automata; RPG-lite efforts like Assassin's Creed Odyssey or RDR2; traditional JRPGs like DQ11 or Octopath Traveler; and big budget WRPGs like Horizon Zero Dawn or Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Yes, obviously these games don't all do what Bethesda games do. But at the same time, they exist and they take away (for me) from the uniqueness of what Bethesda used to be doing.

So I guess the answer for me is that Bethesda needs to A) polish up their act and B) innovate to stand out again.

Frecklestein

Tender, Violent and Queer.
Oct 23, 2018
They need to have a proper vision again, and like several people have already said, they went from innovators to just coasting by with minimal efforts. All of their games are just so bug ridden, and people would give them a pass for being so ambitious, which is fair enough I guess. But after years of seeing more ambitious titles that run better, play better and are just better all round, I feel like Fallout 76 was a wake up call a lot of people on both sides really needed.

I loved when they were touting how they were still going to pump out single player story driven experiences, even though everyone has moved onto services and chasing multiplayer cash cows, only to do the opposite a year later. And I get the industry changes, and they need to adapt to stay afloat, but when you weren't really doing so hot in regards to your forte in the industry, what makes you think you can suddenly make the jump elsewhere?

Bethesda is weird. Just give Mikami more money.