Opinion Getting a clue on platform userbase's surprising differences by Youtube videos

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018

Age of Wonders: Planetfall just got a Story Trailer and out of curiosity I checked out the view counts on both the PlayStation & Xbox Youtube channels it was uploaded on.

Now, the install base of the two are different but afaik it's 2:1. So, one would expect - at identical gaming preferences - similar interest for the trailer, right?
No, it's 7:1. Dunno why, but much more Playstation users have watched the trailer for AoW than Xbox ones.

There's the prejudice that Xbox gamers are into shooters, and Sony into cinematic (and Japanese) games.
AoW being a turn-based strategy game rather home on the PC, it's fun to see how each userbase reacts.

What are your thoughts? Btw, this isn't about hating or belittling certain console userbase's tastes. Just an interesting thing I noticed.

Reactions: madjoki and lashman

Phawx

Not-tradamus
Sep 6, 2018
It's now at 10x difference.

Without being able to see the metrics directly *sub vs unique" It is most likely with regard to YouTube algorithm noticing a difference in viewership.

I.E. the Xbox trailer is most likely from Subbed viewers whereas the Sony trailer will be viewed by people searching obliquely and not subbed to either.

OP
freshVeggie

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018
Must be Phawx The genre itself doesn't stick out as a PS-centric ;)

Here some more comparisons. First up, shooters:

Pretty close to each other. More in-line with expectations.

And here another crass example. Must be similar to AoW, PS video just gets viewed by non PS subs.

Reactions: madjoki and lashman

Phawx

Not-tradamus
Sep 6, 2018
Yea that Negan video, look at the upload time delta as well.

Basically whoever is uploading these vids to the Xbox account on YouTube is doing a poor job as they are 24 hours behind the Sony one.