News GOG Galaxy 2.0 beta signups open

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
This is good news. There are a couple good launchers right now with Playnite and Launchbox, but neither has proper Steam grid 460x215 icon support. That's bad because Steam looks like they're moving to that stupid movie poster/box art format, and frankly, box art is horrific and makes your library look like Gamestop.

Ok so this has little to do with GOG 2.0, but with Steam lumbering toward some kind of possible ugly grid re-do and Playnite and Launchbox both completely obsessed with horrible box art, I might get another alternative here.

Edit: Oh damn nevermind. GOG looks to be going with bad box art too. I'm screwed.

Last edited:
Reactions: teezzy

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
Import all your games from PC and consoles, build and organize them into one master collection.
Yo what? I can import my console stuff? That's huge.

EDIT: Wait, can it actually track my playtime on other platforms? Consoles too? Because if it can, again that's huge,

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
It's a good idea.

Personally, I don't care too much about having my library consolidated. I'm more interested in what features and long-term support a platform provides. I'm curious about the mention of importing your console library though.

Aside from their stance on curation, I like GOG quite a bit. I hope they continue to improve.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Sounds like it tries to go beyond the usual launcher aggregators with the upcoming discovery feature. What remains to be seen is how neutral it attempts to be between storefronts, or if GoG is going to be at the top of each search result.

That being said, good on them and I look forward to it.

Reactions: lashman and QFNS

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
That's interesting but this will just confuse me I think. I like to "seperate" my launchers and know what's where.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
I fully expect them to have no "neutrality" in the storefront whatsoever, but a launcher that launches all the games AND tracks playtime and achievements on everything (even consoles??) is a great selling point IMO.

You can already setup Steam to launch everything if you want, but "non-Steam" games get really shitty tracking and whatnot. So if this will roll up all my games into one place with consistent Achievements/Playtime and eventually friends (on the "soon" timeframe) that would really be a big plus.

I'll checkout the beta, but cautiously optomistic here.

Reactions: xinek

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
All in one launcher with achievements and play time! Love this concept and it's GOG who is making it. I signed up for a beta. Hoping to get in the first wave :)

This is good news. There are a couple good launchers right now with Playnite and Launchbox, but neither has proper Steam grid 460x215 icon support. That's bad because Steam looks like they're moving to that stupid movie poster/box art format, and frankly, box art is horrific and makes your library look like Gamestop.

Ok so this has little to do with GOG 2.0, but with Steam lumbering toward some kind of possible ugly grid re-do and Playnite and Launchbox both completely obsessed with horrible box art, I might get another alternative here.

Edit: Oh damn nevermind. GOG looks to be going with bad box art too. I'm screwed.
What's wrong with nice looking box arts? There is a button for customizing, maybe you can change how to view the games there

I love their cookie message :D

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
I wonder how they accumulate playtime? Only when launched through Galaxy or do they grab statistics from other storefronts?

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Thinking about it, this can be quite huge for me, if it is done well then I can see it being the main place where I care about achievements and such, since it takes in all my gaming into it, so it will be the one that matters.

You know what, THIS is actual competition to Steam.

Reactions: xinek

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
It looks much nicer to me than the other catch-all launchers I've seen and promises a lot of functions I'm interested in.

Odd how GOG and not a behemoth engine maker with the biggest game in the world are trying to make a client worth a damn. Then again, maybe it's not that odd at all.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
It looks much nicer to me than the other catch-all launchers I've seen and promises a lot of functions I'm interested in.

Odd how GOG and not a behemoth engine maker with the biggest game in the world are trying to make a client worth a damn. Then again, maybe it's not that odd at all.
that's because epic don't care ... they don't give a crap about making a good client, store or platform ... they just want to gain a huge market share ... and FAST

Reactions: JMTHEFOX

itsamiracle

Dec 31, 2018
Looks nice, editing metadata locally is probably my most wanted feature (which steam UI update will also offer to an extend iirc).

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
This can track hours from games played on consoles?

OP
Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep

The Crawling Chaos
Apr 18, 2019
Its so weird how on various forums people who knee-jerk hate steam are falling over themselves to declare how wonderful this is going to be, when Steams had a similar - albeit entirely manual rather than automated scraping of your hard drive - for basically forever.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Its so weird how on various forums people who knee-jerk hate steam are falling over themselves to declare how wonderful this is going to be, when Steams had a similar - albeit entirely manual rather than automated scraping of your hard drive - for basically forever.
because it's Not Steam™ so it automatically makes it awesomely amazing (regardless of the actual quality) ;)

in all seriousness, though - seems like they (gog) are willing to put actual work into that thing ... including making deals with all those publishers to make those games installable/compatible with galaxy, instead of just relying on their good will

or at least that's how i understood their announcement

Reactions: Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I'm not really excited about a launcher to launch my steam games, or other games, more about have one account that tracks all my gaming across different accounts. Sure there are services like that already but none of them are backed by someone big like gog. So this has the chance to be something worthwhile.

Reactions: Kuro

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
This looks exciting! I hope a big picture mode is on the cards further down the line.

Reactions: lashman

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Nothing yet. Haven't yet checked my spam folder, though, so it could be in there.

checks

Nope, nada.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Anyone besides fantomena received an invite?
It's weird, I have yet to receive an invite for the closed beta, but I did receive one for the technical alpha and today when I opened up the client that I downloaded for the alpha technical, the client updated to the beta client (as in, the update info stated I have the beta client now).

So I assume anyone who was invited to the tech alpha is automatically granted access to the open beta.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I got an invite for the alpha last week and like fantomena said, it updated to the beta today. I also signed up minutes after the announcement of the 2.0 client, so that might've been a factor. Though Yas, I believe, also signed up super early but had not gotten an alpha invite. Luck of the draw. Usually I don't get access to these things.

Is there an NDA on the closed beta? IIRC they didn't want you to share screenshots of the alpha, but I didn't receive any information about the beta.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I also signed up when it was announced, but no invitation yet. RNG has disappointed me both in real life and games.
:wd_rain:

Reactions: lashman

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
One of my big takeaways after using this for a while as an alternative to Steam is that I really miss the community features. Galaxy 2 does a decent job of trying to integrate all your accounts as well as setting up its own community hub, but it's not quite the same as jumping into a Steam forum, checking out your friends' screenshots, reading user reviews, and going through curator recommendations. I think it could help a lot if they allow you to at least import friends from your other gaming accounts. Right now, all you can do is pull from Facebook for some reason or another. Hopefully they'll do something about that soon.

I also think that the library is basically a web page or at least it feels like one. It's not quite as snappy as Steam. It's just a little sluggish, kind of like Origin. Some of the great features Galaxy 1.2 had are gone in this version, too. I've got a long notepad file for the feedback form that I'll be filling out later. There's still a lot that could use improving before I'd start using this on a regular basis.

It's a very solid foundation though. I think that if they really nail this, it could be a great spoke off of which you can access your library in other places. And it already did what they were hoping it would; I started looking at and using GOG more often, even for new games.

Last edited:

sk2k

Steam New Releases Warrior
Dec 8, 2018
Somewhere else
FInally i was able to import ALL my Steam games. I do not like that the genres are fixed and i can only use tags to order my games a bit more.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I'll probably still keep all my libraries separate when they inflict this on the rest of us. I might add my Ubi and Origin games as i only have about 5 in each but i'll keep Steam and GOG apart most likely.

Bonfires Down

Nov 18, 2019
Finally got my invite 🙌 I signed up june 26.

Edit: Have I really played The Sims 4 for 226 hours? 😐

And I'm a bit disappointed there's no integration for Battle.net, Itch, Twitch or Discord. Hope it's in the works.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Had to reinstall some apps cos for some reason even though they were still on my pc, folders, files, etc the system forgot it had them installed so no registry entries, no start menu entries, pinned shortcuts, etc., it was all gone, and I accidentally got the old version and I have to say I prefer it for having the community tab accessible from within the app. They really need to add it back to the new one, I hadn't visited the forums since getting the new beta (ok I did deliberately google search the specific Thief series forum I wanted a couple times to see if new fan patch versions were out) and they can be useful.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
Got my invite as well, I will definitely check it out, but as far as I know this has no TV/BPM-like interface, right?

Jared

Jared Mohammed
Oct 2, 2019
Trinidad and Tobago
I have gotten my invite for the past few months, However I am thinking of moving ontoa Linux distribution as being my OS. Any words on whether they would be working on a Linux compatible client.