News GPD Win 2 MAX Announced.

Phawx

Not-tradamus
Sep 6, 2018
Just posted a video of it:

Unfortunately while I know everything, I can't really reveal all of the things I know. However because "other" people have leaked information, I've went ahead and just reviewed the things they leaked.

I mean, surely if he has images he must be right about the other stuff! Here's what he is saying:

AMD APU
800p screen
15-35 watts TDP

He also leaked an image of the protoboard that inclined individuals could use to deduce the size of the device. Isn't that nice?

itsamiracle

Dec 31, 2018
Going with AMD is interesting. Hopefully it will help bring the price down (proportionally to the perfomance) compared to intel atom platform

StereoVSN

Apr 7, 2019
This is certainly interesting. I just really, really wish they made a deal with Newegg or Amazon and had this thing in the West for sale vs buying directly from China. I am very leery of spending a few hundred $ and dealing with warranty issues. I mean, I buy stuff from Aliexpress but I never bought anything over say $100 from there.

It's much the same as that new VR headset that seems quite nice. Also was thinking of grabbing it but not without solid return policy.

Reactions: lashman
OP
Phawx

Phawx

Not-tradamus
Sep 6, 2018
Another update:

TL;DW: AMD v1605b confirmed. 2280 support confirmed. L3 and R3 clickable confirmed. MicroSD spotted.

Still waiting on announcements: Battery specs, TDP, screen type and resolution, dimensions, ram

OP
Phawx

Phawx

Not-tradamus
Sep 6, 2018
yeah, having that stuff as separate buttons must've been a huge pain in the ass ... especially for some games

I am in the camp that is very happy that Clickable L3 and R3 are a thing. But believe it or not, there have been a growing amount of people that actually prefer L3 and R3 as shoulder buttons. So there have been a few people upset at the news :D

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I am in the camp that is very happy that Clickable L3 and R3 are a thing. But believe it or not, there have been a growing amount of people that actually prefer L3 and R3 as shoulder buttons. So there have been a few people upset at the news :D
weirdos ... all of them!

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
How powerful is that AMD chip? Enough for 60 fps gameplay in last gen games?

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Maybe nice as a portable VN machine now that Vita is dead dead lol and my VN collection on Steam is starting to overtake my Vita one substantially.

Weill have to keep my eyes on this. Always did want one but I also have a laptop that folds in half like a tablet and can be used as a VN machine lol. Of course I imagine these things are quite a bit lighter than a full laptop so... Tempting. 🤔

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
Don't quote me on this, but if you could get Linux running on this for the better AMD OpenGL drivers this looks like it should be capable of emulating Wii U fine. XCX on the go without a Switch port, anyone?

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Looks interesting. If the 800p screen rumours are true, it will be better balanced in that regard than the Smach Z, IMHO.

Reactions: Alexandros

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Maybe nice as a portable VN machine now that Vita is dead dead lol and my VN collection on Steam is starting to overtake my Vita one substantially.

Weill have to keep my eyes on this. Always did want one but I also have a laptop that folds in half like a tablet and can be used as a VN machine lol. Of course I imagine these things are quite a bit lighter than a full laptop so... Tempting. 🤔
Win 2 should be way better as a VN machine. 720p is pretty much the default res for most of VNs, and the machine is capable enough to handle anything you throw at it. Should also be much cheaper than Max, and should have all of crowdfunded version bugs squashed.
PROTIP : Never buy a IGG version of a GPD device, it's literally a lottery I'd you will be affected by design issues that usually get solved 2-3 revisions down the line.

Reactions: 「Echo」

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Win 2 should be way better as a VN machine. 720p is pretty much the default res for most of VNs, and the machine is capable enough to handle anything you throw at it. Should also be much cheaper than Max, and should have all of crowdfunded version bugs squashed.
PROTIP : Never buy a IGG version of a GPD device, it's literally a lottery I'd you will be affected by design issues that usually get solved 2-3 revisions down the line.
Welp. If not IGG, then where? I looked on GPD website on stores that sell to America seem limited? The Ebay link they have just goes to a parts store. o_O

Amazon seems like it would be a lottery too. Plenty of times I buy something and it differs from the picture or the listing was an old version disguised as new. Recently for Majora's mask 3DS I paid 20$ extra for an original version (not greatest hits) and yet they sent me the greatest hits version anyway. >_<

As you say though, for my interests the Win2 seems much better.

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
I used my Gen 1 Win to play VN's. With the release of the Android app for the Steam Link though I rarely turn it on these days. Visual Novels on a 10 inch tablet are way more readable than on the tiny GPD Win screen.

BernardoOne

MetaMember
Oct 19, 2018
Welp. If not IGG, then where? I looked on GPD website on stores that sell to America seem limited? The Ebay link they have just goes to a parts store. o_O

Amazon seems like it would be a lottery too. Plenty of times I buy something and it differs from the picture or the listing was an old version disguised as new. Recently for Majora's mask 3DS I paid 20$ extra for an original version (not greatest hits) and yet they sent me the greatest hits version anyway. >_<

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018

There's a licensed GPD reseller on the other place, user name MJPIA, might want to PM him.
Alternatively, GPD discord has all the relevant people, including Phawx

itsamiracle

Dec 31, 2018
I played both Danganronpa 1 and 2 on the first gen GPD Win. Surprisingly good experience given the hardware.

StereoVSN

Apr 7, 2019
The lack of proper sellers in US is an issue for me. And by proper seller I mean Newegg, Amazon, B&H, Microcenter, etc.... Considering that this is fairly fragile hardware, dealing with a seller directly in China or even some random intermediary in US without a solid return policy is a no-go. Otherwise the new device sounds pretty snazzy.