News Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods (An Expansion) coming the last week of March!

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
So to start things off and as the title implies Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods is a new expansion for the ARPG Grim Dawn! It requires both the Base game and the previous expansion Ashes of Malmouth in order to play!

The official Release date hasn't actually been announced, but they showed off the gameplay trailer and it said March. (They do a Dev update every two weeks so most likely on the 4th of march the actual release date will be known, which means plenty of time for people to read this!)

So what's the expansion adding and why should I care?
Well here's a gameplay video to explain things easily and a gigantic mess of a post to read!:

They're adding in a new mastery!

Oathkeepers!

What the hell is an oathkeeper?

Easiest explanation is they're a paladin, but they mixed any of the other classes as well so that means they can be a Oathkeeper + Necromancer or Shaman, Whatever else!

They're also putting in a system to move around faster in the game called Rune Augments!

That do indeed have the classics, but apparently not all of them have been revealed yet and they aren't limited by class so you can Leap, Teleport, & charge on whatever class you want (Which at least I think is cool)

A comparison of the differences between the Main game, the first expansion Ashes of Malmouth, and Forgotten Gods

They're doing a serious overhaul of their entire Loot Filter System as well!

Probably the coolest thing for someone who has played the game for a long time and wanted to make a new character:

Difficulty Merits

If you've unlocked Elite or Ultimate difficulty, be sure to stop by the vendor in the Forgotten Gods content in order to purchase the new Champion's and Savior's Merits. These items, when used on your other characters, immediately unlock the respective difficulties, allowing you to tackle the extra challenge (and lucrative rewards) from the very beginning.

One of the biggest features they're adding in this expansion is a thing called the Shattered Realm, which is basically an endless dungeon system:

On top of that in the regular game they're also bringing in mechanics from their previous Crucible DLC (A Horde Mode Arena) that will apply Mutators and increased difficulty to areas making them Challenge areas (Mutators being a thing like take 50% more fire damage but deal 50% more chaos damage) with the trade off being better loot drop rates and stuff.

Here's what the world map Of Forgotten Gods will look like as well

They're also putting in new Devotions/Constellation Options for characters as well as the obvious of new story content & reputations and sort of the standard expansion content. There's going to be some mechanics to also transform or trade excess set pieces of the same legendary sets into different pieces of the set or into a whole different set as well so you don't get stuck with 4 sets of pants too.

Overall I think this will be a better expansion than Ashes of Malmouth and I liked that expansion a lot. Hopefully this was a informative thread for at least someone!

I tried to consolidate information for things as I could

Last but not least, here's what happens when you get a bored tester with an Oathkeeper:

Routa

Non-Stop MMO Searcher
Dec 22, 2018
I'm really excited for this, especially some of these QoL changes.

Unfortunately , coming out during a busy month so might have to wait a bit before picking it up.

Reactions: lashman

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
Can't wait for this! :smiling-face-with-heart-shaped-eyes:

I should probably upgrade my Battlemage before the expansion, as the last 2 patches had some interesting improvements and it needs to be ready to tackle the Shattered Realm.

I should also finish leveling my Spellbinder and I could probably revisit my first hardcore character, as I abandoned her at level 85, because that Conjurer version couldn't keep up with Ashes of Malmouth.

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
I massively lost interest playing this. If I try again should I buy both of the DLCs? I only have base.
I'd recommend them, yes. But it depends on why you lost interest in the game.
Crate has put a lot of work in the game over the years, it improved a lot, but it's fundamentally still the same game.

Last edited:

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
Looking forward to this, currently doing my first Ashes Of Malmouth playthrough.

Definitely one of the best "current" ARPGs

Reactions: Milena and lashman

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
Wait the DLC adds stuff to base game?
The DLCs are not separate campaigns, just new chapters in the same story.
Ashes of Malmouth increased the level cap to 100, added 2 new classes (Necromancer and Inquisitor), new item sets, factions, enemies... so, yeah, it added a bunch of stuff. Some of the improvements are also available to people without the DLCs, if I remember correctly.

Anyway, Ashes of Malmouth is certainly a must have, as both Necromancer and Inquisitor are great classes. Spellbinders (Arcanist + Necromancer) being especially powerful right now.
I have high hopes for Forgotten Gods, mostly because the devs haven't disappointed me so far.

OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Sorry I didn't just make this and seemingly abandon it!
Wait the DLC adds stuff to base game?
Yeah Ashes of Malmouth picks up immediately after the end of the base game and COMPLETELY changes the entire game world of the "Base" game, like npcs say new things and stuff is graphically different. It's pretty awesome (Not to mention the crazy game changes)

Looking forward to this, currently doing my first Ashes Of Malmouth playthrough.
Definitely one of the best "current" ARPGs
I agree! Victor Vran is pretty cool too I played that one with my buddy and it's hilarious and doesn't take too long to beat, plus it's voiced by Geralt!

Is this going to correspond to Console release?
That one I have no idea! Although the next Development update scheduled from the Devs is on March 4th so hopefully that's the actual Release date and maybe more news news!
damn , cant wait
SAME HERE

The DLCs are not separate campaigns, just new chapters in the same story.
Ashes of Malmouth increased the level cap to 100, added 2 new classes (Necromancer and Inquisitor), new item sets, factions, enemies... so, yeah, it added a bunch of stuff. Some of the improvements are also available to people without the DLCs, if I remember correctly.

Anyway, Ashes of Malmouth is certainly a must have, as both Necromancer and Inquisitor are great classes. Spellbinders (Arcanist + Necromancer) being especially powerful right now.
I have high hopes for Forgotten Gods, mostly because the devs haven't disappointed me so far.
And Milena explaining everything for me! Hi5's all around
Post automatically merged:

I'm really excited for this, especially some of these QoL changes.

Unfortunately , coming out during a busy month so might have to wait a bit before picking it up.
Well It usually takes a week or two for them to iron out a lot of bugs when the hordes of Min Maxers to descend upon the game anyways and horrendously break their game so waiting a little isn't too bad
Grim Dawn is one of the best aRPG games I've ever played. Looking forward to this expansion!
Same Same!

fspm

MetaMember
Nov 1, 2018
I never liked collecting gazillion dlcs so they lost me with the very first one.

OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
I never liked collecting gazillion dlcs so they lost me with the very first one.
Well I mean there's only been one real expansion so far until sometime this month when the new one gets released

The first DLC they released was a Support the Developers pack with a Will O' The Wisp follow pet thing a like george washington hat and a top hat kind of costmetic, the second was a a completely optional horde mode arena that wasn't connected to the main part of the game. While the third being the first actual expansion Ashes of Malmouth!

Either way see how it goes

OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
It looks like it will be released on the last week of march so maybe the 26th if they do a Tuesday release

Grim Misadventure #158 - Marching to Forgotten Lands - Grim Dawn Forums

With everything in place, we've been speaking with all the storefronts to hammer down a release window. If you've been paying attention to our livestreams, Medierra did drop you a bit of a (big) hint: Forgotten Gods is coming in the last week of March!

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
So they're giving me a few weeks to finish some of the games I've been playing and farming some more gear in Crucible before this hits and consumes another 200 hours of my life :dizzy-face:

OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
So they're giving me a few weeks to finish some of the games I've been playing and farming some more gear in Crucible before this hits and consumes another 200 hours of my life :dizzy-face:
With how jam packed the rest of the month is with seemingly good/decent games coming out I think the end of the month is a good thing as well

Reactions: lashman and Milena
OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
So one as with all big expansions or DLC's there's usually a patch... and these notes were released! They take the game to version V1.1.0.0

The most notable features are the ones I've highlighted but there's a huuuuge list of changes that everyone's getting regardless of you buying the expansion or not (also woohoo x64 client!)

[Major New Features]
  • The Loot Filter has been overhauled to be much more versatile. You can now filter by Item Quality (including Monster Infrequents and Sets as special sub-categories), Item Type (ex. 1h melee weapons, helmets, etc.) and various Attributes (ex. Offensive Ability, Your Mastery Skills, % Damage, etc.)
  • A x64 launcher is now available. When starting up the game, you can now select whether to launch the original x86 client or the x64 client.
  • GOG and Steam users can now play together in Multiplayer as long as both are playing the same version of the game (v1.1.0.0 and future updates)

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
Yes! New Loot Filter! Can't wait.

I'll need to check all the changes. I'm hoping for some buffs to my lighting warder for hardcore mode :pleasedblob:

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
I really need to buy these expansions one day, I impulse bought Grim Dawn when waiting for the Bloodborne DLC cause the wait was getting too hard the design was kinda gothic so I digged it.
Enjoyed the game a ton even alone, even finished it, I imagine these would be hella fun with friends.

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
If I'm going to start Grim Dawn fresh is it best to do it with the expansions downloaded as well (I'm assuming they affect plenty of stuff while going through the base game content) or go through the base game and then get the expansions to better enjoy the changes they bring?

I have Grim Dawn planned for May so just planning accordingly.

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
If I'm going to start Grim Dawn fresh is it best to do it with the expansions downloaded as well (I'm assuming they affect plenty of stuff while going through the base game content) or go through the base game and then get the expansions to better enjoy the changes they bring?

I have Grim Dawn planned for May so just planning accordingly.
If you're planning to start the game in May, I'd recommend playing with the expansions as well, so you can access all classes, item sets and factions.
And since factions will take a long time to max out on your first character, it's best to encounter them all as soon as possible to avoid grinding later on.

Also Ashes of Malmouth is awesome and probably my favourite part of the game so far, I wouldn't miss it!

OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
I don't know if it's the full Pre-Release patch but Grim Dawn patched today and it definitely added in the new loot filtering system and upgraded the client to 1.1.0.0

As well as making it so you can use a x64 client which is nice

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
I don't know if it's the full Pre-Release patch but Grim Dawn patched today and it definitely added in the new loot filtering system and upgraded the client to 1.1.0.0

As well as making it so you can use a x64 client which is nice
Neat, I'll try it tonight then :heroblob:

OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018

Thanks to Gizmo for noticing the update on their thing a minute or two ago as they just did another patch for it to bring it up to parity to the launch happening in just 2 days!

Deleted member 113

It's out!

Buy it! Play it!

(I have to wait for my bank to have stuff clear, boo real world)
Bought it, and I'll finally, properly, start playing the game. :giggle:

It's embarrassing it took me this long.
I really enjoyed Titan Quest, and I pre-ordered the legendary edition of Grim Dawn as soon as they announced it, and opened pre-orders on their website (in January 2010! This was 2 years and a few months before the Kickstarter campaign).
When the game finally launched, I attempted to play it, but my old computer was having major problems, and like with several other games, I couldn't play it. The game kept crashing every 5-10 minutes. I only have just over 1 hour of game-time logged until now, and I gave up attempting to do so. It was unplayable.

Since then, I have a new PC, and between new games I've been catching up with some of the games I couldn't play properly because of those hardware problems (Hitman was another; I finally played through the Hitman maps when Hitman 2 launched). and now it's Grim Dawn's turn, over 9 years since I pre-ordered the game (and 3 years since it launched)! :face-screaming-in-fear:

Last edited by a moderator:

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
Played it for an hour last night: loving it so far. Already found 2 legendaries, but nothing from the new sets or specifically for my main character.

I'll probably try to create a new character directly in ultimate difficulty, just need to decide which class. Probably the new one + either soldier or nightblade.

OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Played it for an hour last night: loving it so far. Already found 2 legendaries, but nothing from the new sets or specifically for my main character.

I'll probably try to create a new character directly in ultimate difficulty, just need to decide which class. Probably the new one + either soldier or nightblade.
Nice
I really like it so far as well
I like the fact that they added in a vendor that lets you convert your daddy warbucks characters money into Iron bars which can than be sold back into actual money again so your poor newbie characters can actually buy storage again so I can now actually make like a legit storage guy If I wanted

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
Finished the main story this week-end. It was great :smiling-face-with-heart-shaped-eyes: Loved the new areas, dungeons and the new enemies. I didn't dare to try to sumon and kill the gods, though. I'll probably try on Normal or Elite, like I did with the previous super-bosses.

I tried Shattered Realms: I tried first on Elite difficulty and it was almost easy, However, I didn't dare to try it beyond level 5 on Ultimate. I'll have to get better gear or rework my Devotions / Skills again.

I've also started an Oathkeeper/Inquisitor character. It's pretty strong and unkillable so far. I used the new item that unlocks ultimate difficulty right away and I'm leveling up using Crucible. I'll start Ultimate proper around level 70-75 I think.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Finished the main story this week-end. It was great :smiling-face-with-heart-shaped-eyes: Loved the new areas, dungeons and the new enemies. I didn't dare to try to sumon and kill the gods, though. I'll probably try on Normal or Elite, like I did with the previous super-bosses.

I tried Shattered Realms: I tried first on Elite difficulty and it was almost easy, However, I didn't dare to try it beyond level 5 on Ultimate. I'll have to get better gear or rework my Devotions / Skills again.

I've also started an Oathkeeper/Inquisitor character. It's pretty strong and unkillable so far. I used the new item that unlocks ultimate difficulty right away and I'm leveling up using Crucible. I'll start Ultimate proper around level 70-75 I think.
I'm considering starting a new character to play the base game and all the expansions. What's a best starting difficulty for you? I like a good but fair challenge.

Reactions: Milena

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
Normal difficulty, even for Hardcore characters, is pretty easy, especially if you use at least one of the classes that were added in the expansions.

I'd go directly into Veteran mode. It's tougher than Normal, but completely doable. And it has a better drop rate.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Normal difficulty, even for Hardcore characters, is pretty easy, especially if you use at least one of the classes that were added in the expansions.

I'd go directly into Veteran mode. It's tougher than Normal, but completely doable. And it has a better drop rate.
Will do so. Thanks a lot! 👍

Reactions: Milena