|OT| Grindwheel Games Titles

Grindwheel Games

Jun 6, 2019
Hello there! I'm Tony Wilson, owner, designer, developer and writer for Grindweel Games. This thread is to discuss upcoming Grindwheel Games' titles as they get ready for release. The best place to start would be with our first game, Pale Harbour.

The Hunters Journals series focuses on dark, steampunk fantasy with a Lovecraftian twist. Pale Harbour is the first trip into this world, using the aesthetic of an old choose-your-own adventure novel for the interface. With over 500 'pages', more than 40 images to unlock, and a unique, haunting soundtrack, it is a solid horror title with a lot of replay value.

I have always loved CYOA games, and even own all of the old Fighting Fantasy back-catalogue. I've tried to stay true to the feel of those older games, but at the same time updated the world to fit the more modern, dark-fantasy mould. With each of the books I have expanded on the lore of the world to make it a unique place of desperate struggles against mundane hubris and cosmic horror. Several of the early books were actually Call of Cthulhu and Ravenloft adventures I put together in my spare time, although modified to better fit the overall setting.

In any case, I will post updates below as new games come closer to release. I hope you enjoy them!

Tony Wilson - Grindwheel Games

Last edited:
OP
Grindwheel Games

Grindwheel Games

Jun 6, 2019
Also, here are the front covers for the first two games. They are from my website so there is no spoiler with regards to Vile Philosophy.

awesome ... thanks for the thread! :)

definitely looking forward to Pale Harbour :)

(oh, by the way - that's probably going to be an OT, not News - you can change the prefix ... oh, and don't forget to add the cover image - to make it look prettier :D)

Updated the title, and I'll look into that and my custom images asap. :) Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Also, here are the front covers for the first two games. They are from my website so there is no spoiler with regards to Vile Philosophy.
damn, that looks amazing!!! :D

Updated the title, and I'll look into that and my custom images asap. :) Thanks for the advice!
awesomesauce! and no problem ... looking forward to it! :D

OP
Grindwheel Games

Grindwheel Games

Jun 6, 2019
damn, that looks amazing!!! :D
Thanks! The page art was done by Muthur Brine after the UI artist found he didn't have time for it and the other artist I hired crapped out on us. She managed to get it all done in about 8 weeks as a favour, and did the same for Vile Philosophy when that one was ready too. Depending on her schedule we'll be going with her again for Blissful Ignorance, although I have shopped around for a few alternatives.

The art for the second book blows the first out of the water to some degree. She upped the canvas size she was working with to get in a whole load of background detail and little flourishes that really make it look spectacular.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Thanks! The page art was done by Muthur Brine after the UI artist found he didn't have time for it and the other artist I hired crapped out on us. She managed to get it all done in about 8 weeks as a favour, and did the same for Vile Philosophy when that one was ready too. Depending on her schedule we'll be going with her again for Blissful Ignorance, although I have shopped around for a few alternatives.

The art for the second book blows the first out of the water to some degree. She upped the canvas size she was working with to get in a whole load of background detail and little flourishes that really make it look spectacular.
sounds great! šŸ‘

Reactions: FunktionJCB
OP
Grindwheel Games

Grindwheel Games

Jun 6, 2019
Good morning guys! Thanks for all the support, and a HUGE thank you to everyone who has wishlisted the game so far.

In the run up to release I am posting in-game page art to Facebook, as well as the steam community pages, so I am also going to share them here. These are the 'general' images that appear through most of the book to avoid too many spoilers. Please find the first of these below!

The Filter Mask is a useful piece of kit that hunters will sometimes use depending on the nature of the creature they are hunting. They can block out some toxic gasses, and the thick leather can sometimes deflect light blows to the face.

OP
Grindwheel Games

Grindwheel Games

Jun 6, 2019
Hello again all! I was going to split the updates up to Monday and Friday only, but we have 6 general page images per book (and plenty more specific ones to unlock) so I decided to go Mon/Wed/Fri instead.

As such, please enjoy the next page image below! As a note, a lot of the equipment related images have been drawn to make the hunter as generic as possible. I didn't want to ever give them a specific face to help people project themselves into the story, and Muthur Brine really did a great job on making them look like sinister mannequins.

Hunters are often forced to explore dark and dangerous places. While carrying a lantern is often the best way to illuminate the area, they do tend to require the use of a hand. Flares, especially the powerful Naphtha Flares seen here, can be lit and discarded to provide bright light without encumbrance.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Hello again all! I was going to split the updates up to Monday and Friday only, but we have 6 general page images per book (and plenty more specific ones to unlock) so I decided to go Mon/Wed/Fri instead.
damn, that does look good! i'm seriously getting excited for that game! :D

(by the way - just a reminder about that thread cover :p)

OP
Grindwheel Games

Grindwheel Games

Jun 6, 2019
damn, that does look good! i'm seriously getting excited for that game! :D

(by the way - just a reminder about that thread cover :p)
Thanks! I had forgotten about that. :)

The current plan for the logo is to keep the basic lozenge shape but add a specific embellishment per book. I can't go into what the serpents and antlers are for this one, or the face-masks in the second. But all will be revealed in time...

OP
Grindwheel Games

Grindwheel Games

Jun 6, 2019
that's a really cool idea!
Thanks! It came from the initial plan which was to have the logo be as it is now, but with something behind it, like a pair of filter masks, or a beast skull. That would be 'the' logo and used on every book. But that went out the window when we have to get an artist in for page art specifically. While we were booting around ideas for that and the text on the front cover, it was suggested to go with a different logo per game. It made sense, and acts as a bit of an in-joke if you play the game.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Thanks! It came from the initial plan which was to have the logo be as it is now, but with something behind it, like a pair of filter masks, or a beast skull. That would be 'the' logo and used on every book. But that went out the window when we have to get an artist in for page art specifically. While we were booting around ideas for that and the text on the front cover, it was suggested to go with a different logo per game. It made sense, and acts as a bit of an in-joke if you play the game.
yeah, i agree ... and i really like it! :D

OP
Grindwheel Games

Grindwheel Games

Jun 6, 2019
Good morning all, and happy Pre-Release Art Day! Also known as Friday in the Gregorian Calendar. ;)

Please find below the latest of the art pages, which some of you might notice resembles Lantern Chan before her moe update!

Thanks to advances in galvanic technology, it is now possible to produce a battery small enough to fit into the base of a lantern. Hunters can find these crank-powered Dynamo Lanterns invaluable, as they do not give off a flame or much heat. Some beasts, especially corrupt nature spirits, cannot see by the light they give off. This makes them perfect for setting up ambushes.

They can also be used to light the darkest of places, but only because they want to. B...baka!

OP
Grindwheel Games

Grindwheel Games

Jun 6, 2019
Don't you think Lantern-Chan is best waifu? >_> Heresy!
Good morning everyone! There is only a week to go before Pale Harbour hits the digital shelves for real, so here is the next of the page images for you to enjoy.

A hunter often carries some sort of firearm to deal with foes that attack at range. After a lot of experimentation and legal issues, they are limited to something that can be carried in one hand, and contains no more than ten shots. Trusty revolvers and duelling pistols are the standard option, but some eccentrics still prefer the stopping power of a hand mortar.

As a side note, I ended up watching a load of episodes of the Forgotten Weapons channel on Youtube while looking for old, steampunk-like weapons. They have some interesting stuff! Sadly, I shared this with my Call of Cthulhu gaming group, who then started talking about getting things like the 50-shot pistol or replacing everything on their keyring with key pistols. That's what I get, I suppose!

OP
Grindwheel Games

Grindwheel Games

Jun 6, 2019
HYYYYPE!!!
Speaking of hype...

Grindwheel Games - Our Games

The trailer for Vile Philosophy is here!

I know that it is very similar in layout to the first. But basically my father, who is the narrator, is going to be away for three weeks. So the choice was between getting fancy and using a whole different script, or go with something that is close enough to the first that we can have the trailer there and ready for the store page while he was away.

Oh, sorry, did I just double-spoiler this by noting that the steam page for VP will be available soon too? Happy Monday everyone. ;)