|OT| Guild Wars 2 - By Ogden's hammer, We Are Heading To Steam

Ex-User (119)

Oct 19, 2018

since the game's release alot of systems have been entirely overhauled and same for progression (not loot character development wise). it is fairly unrelaistic to truly get into detail about everything that has changed for especially returning players.
the game is very lenient on its free to play elements and mostly only things your truly locked out of would be expansion content. but one thing many like guild wars for is that their isnt a gear treadmill as they for mmos where theres a ever growing climb of better loot for every new content etc. anything from original guild wars 2 content is still user firendly for the latest content unless your looking into fractals/raids.

so you may ask what is people like about this well their is hundreds of armors etc in the game that can be mixed and match and come from all sorts of systems (special vendors/special events/achievements/story content etc etc. and thats what most go for seeing what they can mix up etc.

the game is also one of the only mmos i can safely say recives so much new content outside of expansions so frequently. the game has a system called living season which is an ever growing content and with every new season chapter their is a whole now story campaign and normally a new map to explore fillied with events special items/skins ahievements etc. if you also login anytime during that season chapter is active you will get that chapter for free forever, if you miss it you can purchase it in store.

the game has its own wiki updated by arenanet and the community all the time, their is a handy page that lists everything regarding patches in a convenient and readable way without overloading info Release - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W)

heres a nice breakdown of main updates since september 2019

as you can see around every 3 months is their is a new content drop indicated by the green star icon

with path of fire we saw the introduction of mounts into guild wars

the mounts are useable in all old content prior to path of fire which makes for some fun and also some breaking of maps which we all love.

Raptors:
are hardy and swift, and surprisingly easy to train due to their intelligence. They can cross great distances in a single leap, making them the favored mount of many of the desert's denizens. Travelers are advised not to leave the city of Amnoon without obtaining a raptor companion.
It is the first mount available to players upon reaching the Crystal Desert. The Raptor can jump further than any other mount, being able to jump across large gaps. While mounted on a Raptor, you gain 100% increased movement speed.

springer's:
Their long ears and wiggly noses are charming, but the springer's greatest strength is their ability to make jaw-dropping vertical leaps. Traveling merchants and couriers use them to cross sheer cliffs in the Crystal Highlands, shaving weeks off their journeys.

Skimmers:
are graceful creatures native to the Elon River. They live above water, breathing through large air sacs as they float above the surface. While they cannot truly fly, they can hover for short distances at a height of several norn, making them indispensable for crossing large areas of treacherous quicksand or sulfur.

Jackals:
are elusive, magical creatures formed of shifting sands and given shape by magical runes. They can dissipate into sand to teleport short distances and dash through sand portals. The djinn of the Desolation create and tame them; prove yourself a worthy trainer, and you may befriend one.

there is a few other mounts but those ill keep suprise :p

Elite Specializations:

In contrast to core specializations, which merely modify how certain skills and effects work, choosing an elite specialization fundamentally changes the way a given profession plays by altering or expanding on the base profession mechanic and providing access to a new weapon, healing skill, elite skill and a set of utility skills of the same skill type. All core profession skills, weapons and specializations will still be available while an elite specialization is equipped.

Training an elite specialization is basically the same as a core specialization, however there are a few requirements:

• You must own the respective expansion
  • The character must be level 80
  • All core skills and specializations must be fully trained

End Of Dragons Expansion news:

arenanet also just announced the newest expansion which is taking place in cantha region. this should bring back alliances like in original, it will also involve underwater combat (the jade sea has melted compared to when we was there in guild wars 1) they have entirely overhauled underwater combat and the expansion has more changes their and some underwater mounts. (none of this stuff has been released yet info wise but i have some inside info i did say back in march this was coming to steam later this year )

title reference is from this

• Love
Reactions: xxr and lashman

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Notable that right now Path of Fire expansion is half off on their store for the Standard or Deluxe Editions and it comes with Heart of Thorns. Since the way it handles progress means everyone is level 80 during the expansion content so people are still there.

I've been hopping back in after about five years away from the game and in the past couple nights each time there's an event in the Heart of Thorns zone I've been in there's been players that have come along to take part and there's generally folks scattered about as I've gone around.

And for anyone new to the game I think it handles the world and exploration better than any other MMO out there. I also think the crafting is generally really interesting. I got hooked to the cooking profession so I have my chef rank up to 400 because it's actually interesting to do with how it handles recipes and leveling up.

It's really neat and it's free to play to try and currently only $15 to get both expansions.

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
I was hooked with this game for a long time but I felt kinda lost once Heart of Thorns released, don't know if it's worth the time invested to learn again everything and come back (I still have it installed) to play solo.

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
I was hooked with this game for a long time but I felt kinda lost once Heart of Thorns released, don't know if it's worth the time invested to learn again everything and come back (I still have it installed) to play solo.
I'd suggest just Googling for a build to make sure you're starting back up with a pretty decent starting point. Since the game has always been about a smaller selection of abilities vs something like WoW it doesn't really take that much time to get started. To be honest it was mostly like two hours of clearing out stuff in my mail, looking through my inventory, and largely just refamiliarize myself with all the menus and such.

But otherwise the combat side of things didn't take much for me to get back to it.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Fell off the game a while back. Though I played more than my faire share of it.

Great game for casuals and solo players, being on Steam should help it. Not sure PvP will be revitalized however, it has been left to rot for years...