Support Have any of you been the head of a club (Fishing for experiences/feedback/ideas)

Jkm23

A Gamer posting from the brig
Jul 12, 2019
I had intended to make this thread elsewhere but this is a better place.

Over the past two years I've been involved in a monthly discussion/board game playing club at my local library. Its for adult "Geeks", (however you define that)
and we've done everything from set up displays, to watch fan films, to play flux, to pandemic, to discuss things like the three laws of robotics. Or just old/new geek stuff of all kinds. We have people who have written for industry/geek interest magazines, people who have worked in manga/anime, those who have been to both the new and old comic cons..... (I'm not worthy lol)

I feel into the position of "leader" by literally always showing up because I'm younger than the rest of them and I don't have any kids, so I can come straight from work.
I have not a single fucking clue what to do. Not that I have to do much, maybe post once or twice on the facebook group (yes, I know, and yes, its the only reason I still have an account), show up and try to get quieter people to speak up. One of the issues already is that there is a clear group that likes playing board games (me included) and another that likes discussion. The other is the age gap. I'm 31, many of the other members are 45-50 and this leads to a lot of discussion of obscure older tv/movies/the like. The other is I've never been to a convention and I feel like some of my geek bonafides are weak.

Anyway, not going to make a wall of text, so, any of you ever been the head of a club? Any help for a new councilmember? If you meet with "Geeks" once a month, what would you like to discuss/highlight?

Last edited:
OP
Jkm23

Jkm23

Jul 12, 2019
Also note, that discussion of computer games of any kind is basically non existant, despite the fact that I know some of the members play extensively and we've referenced fallout, persona and others. I'd bring video games into the discussion but I feel like the age gap is even more prominent there and I don't want to alienate anyone. (Already enough of that with the age gap.)

Reactions: lashman
OP
Jkm23

Jkm23

Jul 12, 2019
Welp, the day has come and gone. August in the past has always been a brutal month for getting anyone to actually show up and the weather where I live was borderline dangerous, so its a miracle that three people besides myself even showed.

Had a good conversation, talked with the previous group leader and decided that next month we're going to focus on the board game playing aspect. We'll see how that goes, I'm thinking its gong to get at least 8 people because its September and its back to reality.

OP
Jkm23

Jkm23

Jul 12, 2019
hopefully! fingers crossed :)
We've had as many as 15 people and a stable of like 20ish irregular regulars and probably 8 regulars. I've got those fingers crossed too!

Plus, we had a civil short conversation about the pros and cons of the TLJ. Jesus was probably minutes from returning when we moved on.

Reactions: lashman