Support Help regarding 120Hz Monitor

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
So I got this new gaming laptop with 120Hz (and GTX1650) and most games run fine.
However, when looking at the available refresh rates, there's only 48Hz and 120Hz. So those that don't support higher refresh rates (maybe) run at 48 FPS like Dark Souls III and Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed.

Any idea how to unlock the framerate, more specifically the two games above?

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
So I got this new gaming laptop with 120Hz (and GTX1650) and most games run fine.
However, when looking at the available refresh rates, there's only 48Hz and 120Hz. So those that don't support higher refresh rates (maybe) run at 48 FPS like Dark Souls III and Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed.

Any idea how to unlock the framerate, more specifically the two games above?
Set it at 120hz. Or check if it has a special mode for gaming.

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
Have you tried this:

Assuming you have Windows 10, right click your desktop and select "Display settings". On the Display settings menu, click "Advanced display settings" toward the bottom while your 120hz/144hz monitor is selected in the area above (relevant if you have more than one monitor). On the new screen select "Display adapter properties on the bottom. In the new window, click the Monitor tab, and then under "Screen refresh rate" make sure that you have 60 Hertz selected. Click Apply or OK on the bottom to force 60hz.

Note that this change must be reversed if you plan to revert your monitor back to 120hz/144hz.

As far as I am aware physics is tied to FPS hence a lock @ 60.

OP
MegaApple

MegaApple

Sep 20, 2018
Have you tried this:

Assuming you have Windows 10, right click your desktop and select "Display settings". On the Display settings menu, click "Advanced display settings" toward the bottom while your 120hz/144hz monitor is selected in the area above (relevant if you have more than one monitor). On the new screen select "Display adapter properties on the bottom. In the new window, click the Monitor tab, and then under "Screen refresh rate" make sure that you have 60 Hertz selected. Click Apply or OK on the bottom to force 60hz.

Note that this change must be reversed if you plan to revert your monitor back to 120hz/144hz.

As far as I am aware physics is tied to FPS hence a lock @ 60.
THAT'S THE THING! There is NO 60Hz option, only 48Hz and 120Hz!

alialkhars

Jul 16, 2019
I had the same problem in some games (ikaruga and ffxiii) on my laptop. I managed to solve it by adding a 60hz profile.

What is your laptop name? If it is the same as my laptop than I can help you.

OP
MegaApple

MegaApple

Sep 20, 2018
Through the driver control panel itself, example Nvidia Control Panel.
Unfortunately, the display section (where you make profile) isn't there in my NVIDIA section. Probably because it a Laptop.
Any other way to make profiles?
I had the same problem in some games (ikaruga and ffxiii) on my laptop. I managed to solve it by adding a 60hz profile.

What is your laptop name? If it is the same as my laptop than I can help you.
ASUS TUF FX505DT (Ryzen 5, GTX 1650, 120hz, 256GB SSD + 1 TB HDD)

alialkhars

Jul 16, 2019
Unfortunately, the display section (where you make profile) isn't there in my NVIDIA section. Probably because it a Laptop.
Any other way to make profiles?

ASUS TUF FX505DT (Ryzen 5, GTX 1650, 120hz, 256GB SSD + 1 TB HDD)
Yep that is the same laptop as the one I have although I have a different gpu.

All you have to do is download this : Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Then open the : CRU.exe
after that you'll see the detailed resolution on the right side click on add right below it.
Copy these settings in the window that opened.

In the end, just restart your laptop and the 60hz option should appear and your games should run at 60hz instead of 48.

OP
MegaApple

MegaApple

Sep 20, 2018
Yep that is the same laptop as the one I have although I have a different gpu.

All you have to do is download this : Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Then open the : CRU.exe
after that you'll see the detailed resolution on the right side click on add right below it.
Copy these settings in the window that opened.

In the end, just restart your laptop and the 60hz option should appear and your games should run at 60hz instead of 48.
OK, I think this'll work for me. Before I do that, can you tell me what do these value mean, and how did you select these? I opened the "Add" menu and there was already 60Hz with other values being already present there.

alialkhars

Jul 16, 2019
OK, I think this'll work for me. Before I do that, can you tell me what do these value mean, and how did you select these? I opened the "Add" menu and there was already 60Hz with other values being already present there.
I'm not sure either. I just copied the values that are present in the two profiles that were present in the laptop and added them to 60hz profiles but then there a problem when I opened the games that have the problem. When I copied the 120hz profile and just changed the refresh rate to 60hz. the game would only display in the upper part of the screen with some problems with colors. When I did the same thing with the 48hz profile. The screen would turn black when I open the games but I could hear the game sound. So I tried to find the difference In the two profiles. The only difference I found was in the black porch vertical pixels the other values were the same. Then I noticed that the screen limit was 340MHz. So when I tried to change the 120Hz profile to 60Hz I would only get around 167MHz which is very small and I think that is reason of why the game got displayed in that way. When I did the same thing with the 48Hz profile I got around 419MHz which exceeds the screen limit by a lot. Then, I saw that the already existing profiles were exactly at 335.46MHz. So I copied one of them and changed the value of the black porch vertical pixels to 1600 which gave 335.47MHz but that is 0.01 more than the other two so I changed the refresh rate to 59.999 (the other two were 119.999 and 47.999 anyway) and I managed to get it to 335.46Mhz.

That's how I came up with these values :)