News Homefront 2 (2012 Prototype) Gameplay Videos

Aelphaeis Mangarae

MetaMember
Apr 21, 2019
There has been footage of the original version of Homefront 2 floating around for a few years. But most of it was very blurry, extremely, extremely early, and stuff like that. Someone recently posted a collection of links on Reddit with much higher quality footage recorded this year from the leaked 2012/2013 prototype, just before the game was rebooted in early 2013 into an open world/zone based game, which resulted in the game biting off way more than it could chew, especially when financial problems hit. The original MP was completely scrapped and replaced with PvE co-op missions, and while bits and pieces of this prototype made it into the final game, with the opening mission being very similar -- the final game is very different in feel. I know some people here likely enjoyed Homefront: The Revolution like I did, and might be interested in what it was originally going to be like. I actually have a copy of this protoype but I don't own a dev kit Xbox to play it.

At this point in development it's very similar to Crysis 2. It's clearly built on top of Crysis 2, with C2 loadscreens and some placeholder weapons from the C2/Forest SDK stuff. It was originally going to be a sequel to Homefront. It had a Crysis-like futuristic vibe, but the plot of HFTR was akwardly pasted on top of pre-existing world building. In this older version of the game, you're not fighting some mysterious Apple expy from Korea. You're fighting the KPA and their leader Kim Jong-un. I really like the vibe this prototype conveys. Even in prototype form, I kinda prefer the aesthetics, the sound design, etc. The final assault rifle sounds really weird and wet and muffled. The prototype version sounds punchy and the gunplay seems more like Crysis 2. There's something off about the gunplay of HFTR. Also, this prototype has mechanics that went AWOL such as being able to remotely control enemy drones and such. Also, the crafting system originally involved a tin that you flipped open with various ingredients inside.

In fact, the prototype of Homefront 2 is... curiously like Metro: Exodus. Moreso than the final version of the game, which was already kinda similar to Metro: Exodus.

Homefront: The Revolution's (excellent) DLC returned to a style more akin to this prototype, and my investigation of the game files reveals that Beyond the Walls was based on a mission from the original version of the game, but with certain characters changed. I think that Beyond the Walls might actually be a version of the original planned ending for the game, pre-reboot.

Singleplayer Footage:

Footage from the cancelled PvP Multiplayer:

Last edited:

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Bookmarking this thread so I can watch all videos later. The first Homefront and the franchise potential were off the charts back then, real shame what happened with it over the years. I particularly hope that either Homefront returns with hopefully, a better development process than TR, or that IO secret project is something Freedom Fighters. I need something to scratch this itch.

Unfortunately,I tried playing HFTR earlier this year but I couldn't handle all the issues I was having and the game didn't got my interest after a couple hours.

OP
Aelphaeis Mangarae

Aelphaeis Mangarae

MetaMember
Apr 21, 2019
One of the most curious changes in the Homefront 2 reboot was the removal of PvP. The reason it's curious is that Homefront's multiplayer was extremely popular. It had a passionate fanbase that loved its formula, and was a factor in the game selling 3+ million copies and earning a sequel.. I think most people welcomed a fresh take on the singleplayer due to Homefront facing criticisms over its length, staunch linearity, and perceived inferiority to Modern Warfare 2. But the prototype HF2 multiplayer is clearly an attempt to reproduce what people loved about HF1's MP.

Only a dev could tell us why it was scrapped, but my personal theory is that perhaps CryEngine's netcode wasn't up to snuff. CryEngine has notorious netcode problems dating back to Far Cry, which I've heard only had MP at the request of Ubisoft, which meant netcode was bolted on top of an engine that wasn't intended for it, and this never really changed as the years went on. HF1's multiplayer involved vehicles, which CryEngine netcode sucked at, and reasonably large player counts in somewhat expansive maps. My theory is that they ran into technical issues and canned it, replacing it with PvE with low player counts and strictly controllable NPC numbers, which is more manageable.

The end result was a bitter disappointment for many, many Homefront fans, especially because the replacement PvE really wasn't very good. It lacked depth, replay value, etc. It narrowly escaped having loot boxes with real money, too. It's a very good demonstration of why you should think about how preexisting fans can help or harm your game. Radical overhauls can be good, but think about how you can shape a game in a way that gives them something they want. Never hurts. Imagine if HFTR had featured MP as good as HF1. People would have been way more forgiving of the campaign's technical issues if the MP worked well. The fact the PvE beta landed with a wet thud was the biggest indication pre-release that the project's direction was wrong.

Reactions: MJunioR