Rumour Horizon: Zero Dawn is coming to PC | earlier rumour confirmed by J.Schreirer

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Its time the devs at Guerrilla get together and remaster the first 3 Killzone games. Add in M/KB support and unlocked framerate for at least a few of them.

Would be fun to run through all those campaign again on PC :D

This is great news and I'm mildly curious myself. Probably not $60 curious even if/when the DLC is included, but depending on how it runs in the end and stuff, I'll probably grab it at some point.
No way they do 60$.

The physical complete edition has been like 10$ at gamestop two winters in a row now. Cdkeys is selling it dirt cheap too right now.

I don't think they'll do more than 30$ for the pc release. If Sony attempts to push a new launcher on PC they may even do this really cheap to draw in a userbase like Rockstar did when they gave away san andreas for free couple months ago.

The Janitor

Jul 13, 2019
Its time the devs at Guerrilla get together and remaster the first 3 Killzone games. Add in M/KB support and unlocked framerate for at least a few of them.

Would be fun to run through all those campaign again on PC :D
I second this. They wouldn't even have to do anything to the graphics, they still look good. I never fully played Killzone 2 or 3 but I once tried the demo for Killzone 2 on my brothers PS3. The game seemed cool but man the controls were so bad. Felt like running in mud with barbells hanging from your gun.
A PC version would fix that.

Reactions: lashman and MJunioR

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
So I've been thinking about this rumour and talk that there may be more Sony games coming to PC, and while I'm sure this has been discussed before, I just want to share some thoughts about why Sony may be doing this.

For the current console generation, it was made clear from day 1 that the consoles were at the very least, breaking even, and that buying one or two games was, at least in Sony's case, putting them into profit. In that scenario, if someone bought a PS4 for the exclusives only and used PC as their main driver for multiplats, then even if it's a small profit all PS4 customers are profitable for Sony.

This hasn't been necessarily true for previous console generations, where hardware is subsidised by game sales. However, back in those days, there was more of a divide between what's available on each platform and there were plenty of third party games that were on the consoles but not on PC that helped the console manufacturers be profitable on subsidised hardware, even if the customer would prefer to play everything on PC.

That isn't the case anymore. Most, if not all, console-only games are first party exclusives. If Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo hasn't plumped up cash for it, chances are it will release on PC. So there's less of a reason for a PC gamer to have a console as a secondary platform to augment their gaming PC, and there's more games available on PC than anyone has any time to play, so it's not like PC gamers are starved of content to enjoy.

With that in mind, what if for the next-generation Sony is going to subsidise their console with revenue from PS+ and third party game sales? In such a case, it's probably better for them that only engaged customers who buy all their games (first and third party) on PlayStation actually buy-in to the platform, especially in its formative years. I assume they want people paying £50 a year for PS+ and buying a £40-£60 AAA game every month or two, plus a bunch of smaller indie titles while investing deep in PS Store sale events.

In those cases, disincentivising people who would not be profitable for Sony from actually buying in to PS5 is probably the most sensible thing to do. They'll probably make more money off of them by releasing on PC than trying to convince people who are deeply invested into PC gaming ecosystems to make PS5 the place they buy third party games and subscribe to PS+, because we all know that isn't going to happen.

So I think, basically, what we're going to see is a PS5 console more affordable than its specs would suggest. In turn, the hardware will only be aimed at people who are only interested in owning one console (i.e. the vast majority of people who bought a console). Without the burden of subsidising console hardware for a primarily PC player, any PC game sold by Sony is inherently profitable.

Obviously I think there's other crossovers, such as PS Now probably being PC-based going forward that may also fuel this decision, but to me it makes more sense to sacrifice install-base if that install-base would otherwise be purchasing subsidised hardware,

At any rate, if Sony does make PS5 affordable, which will be the first sign they're eating a loss on the hardware, I think we can look forward to enjoying their first party games on our favourite platform going forward.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
In those cases, disincentivising people who would not be profitable for Sony from actually buying in to PS5 is probably the most sensible thing to do. They'll probably make more money off of them by releasing on PC than trying to convince people who are deeply invested into PC gaming ecosystems to make PS5 the place they buy third party games and subscribe to PS+, because we all know that isn't going to happen.
this is pretty much exactly it .... they finally noticed (just as MS did ... albeit for different reasons, lol) that PC people generally don't go out buying a separate platform just because of an exclusive game (or two) ... especially if they then also have to pay for online - something that's completely free on PC

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
PC people generally don't go out buying a separate platform just because of an exclusive game (or two)
I think enough may have done so in the last two generations to make it worth not putting their games on PC, but I really think we're entering a period where console hardware is going to be unprofitable. Getting players buying in to the whole ecosystem (subs, buying all your games on the platform, spending deep in sales) is the only way to make that hardware worth selling. For people who buy a PS5 for just the first party exclusives, therefore won't be buying more than 2-3 games a year, won't be subscribing to PS+... are they even worth trying to sell hardware to at this point?

Sony tried to stem that tide with PS4 Pro. They even admitted as much. I doubt it worked because people buying into PC was never just about specs - it was about choice, freedom and a variety of weird and wonderful games that console manufacturers wouldn't touch with a ten foot barge pole until they had already become successful on PC.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Pretty what both C-Dub and lashman said. Open platforms work, and once people have had a taste it's really hard to go back to walled gardens and a hardware that has a finite lifespan for which both the range of choice and set of features pale in comparison to the good old PC.

I fully agree with the argument that to them, PC gamers are an untapped market that would have otherwise been out of reach. As for the matter of devaluating consoles by making exclusivity a thing of the past, or at least severely limiting its practice, I can only say it's a return to pro-consumer practices and sanity. Perhaps Playstation will lose a bit of brand recognition because of them but to me it was more about influencing the Xbox/PS choice than anything else, and that crowd's choices isn't going to change much regardless, in my opinion.

Oldschool PC

Nov 23, 2019
The last time Sony made a profit on console hardware sales was the PS2 generation. The PS3 was initially sold at a $300 loss, and the PS4 only made $18 profit while being sold at full price. There's nothing to indicate this will change next generation, especially if the rumored specs are true.

Sony makes the vast majority of its revenue on digital distribution fees and game royalties, which leads me to believe their strategy next gen will be to create their own PC launcher and continue to take a 30% cut on sold games. Hell they might even encourage console users to switch over to PC.

Ron Mexico

Not Michael Vick
Dec 7, 2018
I would wager on their own launcher as well as a focus on subscription-based services like PS+ and PSNow as key parts of their strategy. Recurring revenue is easier to model and project. Their box (and in theory their potential launcher as well) become more the means to an end as they want to reach as many potential customers as they can for $X/month.

Following this pattern, that recurring revenue sets the foundation. Those big releases then provide the icing on the profitability cake.

Reactions: Oldschool PC

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I don't think PS+ will make a dent on PC. Microsoft tried to bring it to PC, but failed. And they control the operating system!

PS Now may have more traction, especially if they let you download games ala Game Pass. Not going to discount them doing their own launcher, either. That one feels like a nobrainer after a few releases on Steam or EGS. To be honest (and we're entering tinfoil hat territory here), it wouldn't surprise me if, as people suspected, Sony have been tacitly supporting EGS with exclusives to try and make a chip in Steam's armour, only to sweep EGS away with their own store/launcher in time. While trading EGS for Sony and having them pull the same third party exclusivity bullshit wouldn't be even remotely good for the platform, I'd enjoy watching Sweeney/Epic getting played like that.

Reactions: Chudah and lashman

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
I hope if HZD comes it'll be available on multiple storefronts. If Sony brings their first-party to EGS it'll sell as much if not more than Blands 3. It's something that can actually help Tim to take a piece of PC cake he doesn't deserve.

Oldschool PC

Nov 23, 2019
I don't think PS+ will make a dent on PC. Microsoft tried to bring it to PC, but failed. And they control the operating system!
PS+ wont fly with older PC gamers, but it may succeed on people transitioning over from consoles and used to Playstation's social features. Include crossplay, discounts, and free games as part of the subscription, and I could see a fair number of people signing up for it.

I hope if HZD comes it'll be available on multiple storefronts. If Sony brings their first-party to EGS it'll sell as much if not more than Blands 3. It's something that can actually help Tim to take a piece of PC cake he doesn't deserve.
Sony will want to test the waters by putting their games on multiple storefronts, but the opportunity to milk people with their own launcher is too great to pass. Best case scenario purchasing their games on Steam will activate them separately like with Origin and Uplay.

Last edited:

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
clears throat...Sorry to bump this (is it against the rules ? let me know).

Any update on this ? Sony should release their own launcher, it makes strategic sense to retain control of their IPs while releasing on Steam still, not unlike Microsoft has recently been doing.

I could see this working for Sony.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
(is it against the rules ? let me know)
it's not, don't worry about it :) bump away

Sony should release their own launcher
yeah, i don't think anyone would mind if they did (as long as they don't try to charge for multiplayer, lol)

although - it would be nice if they also released their games on every other store ... steam, gog, egs etc. etc. etc.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
it's not, don't worry about it :) bump away

yeah, i don't think anyone would mind if they did (as long as they don't try to charge for multiplayer, lol)

although - it would be nice if they also released their games on every other store ... steam, gog, egs etc. etc. etc.
Thanks, I would not want to get intro trouble on my very first post. :)

As for PS+ I can't possibly imagine Sony being this arrogant. Microsoft tried well over a decade ago with heavy hitters and we all remember how it panned out.
In fact, porting multiplayer games on PC is a bad idea for that reason alone. Sony should actually focus their PC efforts on single player titles.

If Jason's sources have been truthful, and assuming this whole thing does not get canned, there has to be some sort of PC strategy behind it. You don't release Horizon Zero Dawn on a whim, I don't think Hermen Hulst smoked some weed one morning and muttered to himself "hum Horizon on PC yeeeeaaaaah bro".

To me at least, a fully fledged PS Launcher makes the most sense, along with at least a Steam release with some sort of PSN log-in like Microsoft's recent PC stuff. I don't think an Epic exclusive is interesting to Sony, again the raw financials are not the impetus behind this sudden realization that the Playstation ecosystem could expand to PC in some capacity, beyond streaming of course.

Otherwise what's the point ? The game has been massively successful on PS already, and it's now sold for a meager 20€. Money must not be the only thing Sony have on their minds at this point.

I really hope it turns out to be true.
I don't mind playing on consoles per se but truth be told I just find the experience extremely limited. I like tweaking, I like making my own compromises, I just adore the flexibility that comes with PC gaming. I do have a PS4 by the way but I don't think it has been a wise investment that generation.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Thanks, I would not want to get intro trouble on my very first post. :)
no worries :) that notice for old thread is there just so people know it might take a while for others to get back to the thread and reply, that's all :)

To me at least, a fully fledged PS Launcher makes the most sense, along with at least a Steam release with some sort of PSN log-in like Microsoft's recent PC stuff.
yeah, that would be the best case scenario ... have a PSN log-in for the games on other stores ... also don't think anyone would mind that :)

and yeah, i can already tell you with 100% confidence - there are more games coming after HZD :) many ... many more :)

Reactions: Shahem

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
How
yeah, that would be the best case scenario ... have a PSN log-in for the games on other stores ... also don't think anyone would mind that :)

and yeah, i can already tell you with 100% confidence - there are more games coming after HZD :) many ... many more :)
Honestly why bother taking Epic's money anyway ? It only makes sense for devs or pubs who need the money. Not Sony, though I'm aware they have already published some stuff there so who really knows.....
I don't think they should go down that path.

Excuse me, but how can you be so confident ? Do you have inside sources ?

Reactions: lashman

Guilty of Being

META MAN
Dec 5, 2018
Texas
How

Honestly why bother taking Epic's money anyway ? It only makes sense for devs or pubs who need the money. Not Sony, though I'm aware they have already published some stuff there so who really knows.....
I don't think they should go down that path.

Excuse me, but how can you be so confident ? Do you have inside sources ?
lashman knows the day the world will end.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
lashman knows the day the world will end.
Oh, he is supposed to be in the know ? I have no problem with that, but I'm not going to take his word for it. All due respect of course.
I'd appreciate if he/she could provide some sources for claims like that.

Jackofallcontrollers claims August is the window :

But of course he conveniently forgets to back up his claims. We are just supposed to believe him I guess.

By the way, Horizon is on the PSNow but leaves the services in April I believe.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
If they do their own launcher, at least put it on Steam.
yeah, i wish they did ... just do what ubi did and sell their games everywhere and just launch the launcher with the game or something ... i'd be fine with that too

If they tried to charge for online then they're dead to me on PC already.
i really want to see them try, lol :p

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Don't have any problems with them making their own PC client as long as it doesn't require PS+ for anything.

I would prefer them to put them on multiple other storefronts, but this is a 1st party game, so don't have a problem with an own PS storefront on PC.

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018
As much as people hated it, I did buy MS' games from their store when it was barely functional. It was their games and I wanted to play them. Not sure what else I can say there. They had Killer Instinct back then when it was still in active development and I wanted it. They had Forza Horizon and I wanted it. It's not like they were stealing exclusives; they funded all this shit. Admittedly, I did rebuy KI on Steam, but that's because all my friends were there.

Reactions: Shahem and lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
If Sony did their PS client on PC, we can assume it wouldn't be just for their first party games but also extend to the "console exclusive" titles they secure. That seems to be their mindset. That is, for later games, as it would have to be negotiated per game. So, EGS v2.0, just with better output to compel users? Of course they could pull a Microsoft and somehow become a more open company but Microsoft stands to gain from Windows use, it's their platform still. And they had to sort of fail first (again) for that to become their goal, would they be going Steam at all, like Bethesda/others, if their own clients hadn't failed to compel users?

Last edited:

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
If they tried to charge for online then they're dead to me on PC already.
I think Sony has clearly seen the hill GFWL died on over this, and would more likely go the Gamepass route, which is similar but just different enough. I simply can't envision them trying paid online on pc in 2020.

Basically PS+ for the playpass or whatever they call it to sub to games, and a regular store tied to a playstation account and launcher.

Which is fine, i dont have a problem with MS having a store for their 1st party titles as an idea unto itself so much as the company's past endeavours in this area dont inspire confidence and the current store is a technical mess and has an unfriendly ui. I feel that i should give Sony the same benefit of the doubt and would for Nintendo in the timeline where they release on pc.

Reactions: lashman and C-Dub

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Don't have any problems with them making their own PC client as long as it doesn't require PS+ for anything.

I would prefer them to put them on multiple other storefronts, but this is a 1st party game, so don't have a problem with an own PS storefront on PC.
Same here, I'll be happy to use Sony's own launcher if it means we get their 1st party games on pc.

But if they go EGS exclusive, I'll just grab their games from torrent sites. That would be the 1st time in 15 years that I pirate a game, but I don't give a shit anymore.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
There have been rumors about Sony prepping up a big event for their PS5 like they did in 2013.

I'm not sure this is the place to announce a PS Launcher or Horizon Zero Dawn for PC though....If I were them I would make that official a bit before.

That said it could work to their advantage, announcing a few old(ish) PS4 games coming to PC would be barely audible when weighed against sequels announced for many of those games. Who is going to slit their wrists when Horizon 2 would be revealed for the PS5 ?

Very eager to see where this whole thing is going....

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
yeah, proooooooobably not :p that would make A LOT of people angry
Not if it's drown out among PS5 announcements really. Besides, fanboys gonna fanboy. If you look around most people have been reacting well to that rumor. Even those who are heavily invested (and not only financially) in the Playstation ecosystem.

Just an example.

Nah, I don't think Sony should be worried about this. For a few angry fanboys many would welcome this news with open arms.
But most importantly, they have to do it so the world can be overloaded with Horizon PC screenshots.

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018
I think Sony has clearly seen the hill GFWL died on over this, and would more likely go the Gamepass route, which is similar but just different enough. I simply can't envision them trying paid online on pc in 2020.

Basically PS+ for the playpass or whatever they call it to sub to games, and a regular store tied to a playstation account and launcher.

Which is fine, i dont have a problem with MS having a store for their 1st party titles as an idea unto itself so much as the company's past endeavours in this area dont inspire confidence and the current store is a technical mess and has an unfriendly ui. I feel that i should give Sony the same benefit of the doubt and would for Nintendo in the timeline where they release on pc.
True, but I don't think I can trust Sony to be smart enough to not try it. Their PSNow thing also has only their old games, I think?

Oldschool PC

Nov 23, 2019
GFWL didn't just fail because of the paid online aspect. Games that used it were often broken, and it had a terrible user interface.

Even if only 1,000,000 PC users sign up for PS+ (2.5% of console subscribers), that's still $50,000,000 per year in revenue. That's a lot of cash to pass up.

Last edited:

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
GFWL didn't just fail because of the paid online aspect. Games that used it were often broken, and it had a terrible user interface.

Even if only 1,000,000 PC users sign up for PS+ (2.5% of console subscribers), that's still $50,000,000 per year in revenue. That's a lot of cash to pass up.
I guess they could always try but even 1,000,000 is highly optimistic. There won't be any need for that with Horizon since it's SP only.

Well, let's hope they make that official within this millenium.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
sacré blue! C'est happening!
Hold your horses. Amazon Fr I think did list things in the past that were wrong.

The listing itself is fairly meaningless. The Kotaku report is hundreds of time more legit.

In fact if it was not for Kotaku I would have never bothered commenting on it, no one with any sense would take some random Reddit or 4chan "leak" seriously, or whatever that Russian journalist was.

EDIT :

Hum. Jason is not in a hurry to shut this down.....Hum I wonder why.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.