Discussion Horror games 2020 (free and <$5 focused)

Trisolarian

MetaMember
Jul 12, 2019
As promised, I'm going to have a thread with a focus on free and inexpensive horror games. I will have a link to each game and any that I have played already, I'll write short blurb about it. As the month of the High Holiday, I shall of course be diving into new experiences as well.

First, I'll drop 5 fast ones;

A horror infused Micro game that has received a decent amount of reviews and a high rating. While I see it as worth playing, especially with its short run time of less than 20 minutes, I don't consider it a top tier horror game. The art work is a standout, as it uses all custom pixel art.

Far better was this game. Not only is there more actual game play but its the kind of horror where the bright aesthetic lulls you into a false sense of comfort with the subject matters in this game. Not to give it away but lets just say that some wounds don't go away with time. 3o minute experience with a couple of puzzle elements, plays a bit like a first person Life Is Strange

A half life mod. Most know of Cry of Fear and too few people know of this. Game play feels like CS 1.6 blended with a bit of Stalker SHOC. The aesthetic is a blend of stalker and silent hill with dark, grimy and decayed locations that build an impressive atmosphere.

Everyone is aware of this one but if you are not, 'jump' in. A rogue like, slow build first person run for your life experience. Warning: This is FULL of jump scares. Not the worst I've experienced in a game but I've left play sessions with frayed nerves more than once. And hey, it's the season for that kind of thing. ; )

Another mod! This is an update to an old HL2 mod and one of the few free gaming experiences that makes even an attempt at recreating the 'Halloween' experience. If you want virtual trick or treating, you've got it. Visuals are hella dated but I appreciate the recreations of vintage Halloween wall decorations and orange trees. Game play is more action than horror focused.

I have about another 20 games I'll be adding, some of them I need to find links to and others that I need to play first!

Add whatever you find people. Make sure it is Free or under $5 (I'd love to add Days Gone but it breaks the rules : ( )

Last edited:
OP
Trisolarian

Trisolarian

MetaMember
Jul 12, 2019
I may finally play The Last Door 1 this month.
Always been interested, but there is just so many hours in a day.

I have a bunch of other games listed, will post when I’m on PC.
The Last Door!! I have this as a MS Store app and it was my most played game on my Windows 10 phone. Worthy.

Reactions: lashman

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I love horror games, so thanks for this thread! Unsure if I'll really get to any this month, but we shall see. I'm currently addicted to No Man's Sky and have a 31 Days of Horror movie list all set up for this month. Perhaps we should have a 31 Days of Horror movie thread here? HMM
In fact , I was toying with the idea of making a general 31 days thread.
But for one I don't want to take thunder from Trisolarian thread, and secondly a general thread might be too broad. But at the same time I'm not sure we need a thread for each subject matter.
Anyway, if anyone less lazzy braver than me want to make it, please go for it.

• Hug
Reactions: Trisolarian
OP
Trisolarian

Trisolarian

MetaMember
Jul 12, 2019
I love horror games, so thanks for this thread! Unsure if I'll really get to any this month, but we shall see. I'm currently addicted to No Man's Sky and have a 31 Days of Horror movie list all set up for this month. Perhaps we should have a 31 Days of Horror movie thread here? HMM
I'm going to try to name a lot of small < 1 hour games. There are a bunch hanging around on Steam and Itch.io.
Do it!
I'm about to start my movie "marathon" for the month tonight, and I would be sure to post about what I watched. ;)
Please go for a 31 days of horror movie thread! Some people around here have serious collections of movies.

FunktionJCB

That is not dead which can eternal lie
Oct 10, 2018
Please go for a 31 days of horror movie thread! Some people around here have serious collections of movies.
I would do it myself, but since I'm swamped with work, I wouldn't be able to do something decent (banners, ...). :disappointed-face:

Reactions: Trisolarian
OP
Trisolarian

Trisolarian

MetaMember
Jul 12, 2019
So, last night I dove into the Haunted PS1 Demo Disc.

Available on Itchi.io. Its a 5.86 GB install. Most games are KB+M only.

As the name of the package suggest some of these ARE demos. The games that are full games, expect them to be short experiences. So I'd actually suggest that anyone going into this package play them all at once, one after another.

In that vein, I'm not going to cover each game in depth, I'm instead going to talk about what it was like to play.

Long story short, I like non-blockbuster horror the best. I do enjoy Stephen King and I have read his wonderful Danse Macbre. Underworld was fun, A quiet place was decent, Nightmare on Elm Street is a classic. SPC-Wiki is where my heart lies for horror. At my age and experience, a good story there can leave me in a state where I NEED to sleep with nightlight. No rules. Its highly unlikely that some of my favorite stories there would ever be picked up as a hollywood production. This "area" is where the free horror game thrives, the good ones. And I'm happy to report, playing through all of these games at once left me with a mysterious need for an illuminated sleeping location. The best of these games also made me feel like I was playing in front of an old CRT television with an ancient gaming console. (I played these using my 4:3 LCD monitor for maximum effect)

The good; If you have postive memories of playing Resident Evil, Silent Hill and maybe one of the few first person horror games release for the PSX, the visual style, music and the controls will take you back. HeartWorm is especially faithful and successful at recreating 1999. Some games feature a 'upscaling' filter, some ape the PSX's texture warping, some go straight low poly and low texture. Besides the awful Dead Heat, most of these games are spot on in visual presentation. Even better, they force the player to use their imagination as to the true likeness of the horrors you're witness to, which every really excellent horror tale does. You've got a variety of different types of gameplay here, from walking simulator, to Doom/Quake inspired FPS, survival horror, adventure, run and hide, a lo fi Condemned Criminal Origins, a first person RPG and even a rouge like game. One final note, play with the sound on, as the music and sound effects for these games are killer.

The bad; some of these games are demos. All are short, either way. Some of the games are clunkers. None of these games are absolutely polished, with glitches, graphical errors and even the odd crash. None of them make use of a controller. A few of them I needed to alt-tab out of to close them once I'd either finished or had my fill. Don't expect saves and some of these games are presented in a forced 4:3 aspect ratio.

Next, some steam games I've downloaded. Including the visual impressive and sure to supremely tongue in check, Devovlverland Expo.

OP
Trisolarian

Trisolarian

MetaMember
Jul 12, 2019
So I ran into my first dud.

Autogeny. I'll be diplomatic and say that this lo fi, essentially a dungeon crawler, looks like its budget as it cost. And hey, it was free. I didn't have any technical problems but zero interesting environments, story and I had no idea as to kill the first enemy I encountered. I just don't have enough time.

A game that was less horror but still had its qualities, Changling.

Its well written, has fantastic autumn vibes and a tragedy that pulled me in right away. It just isn't scary.

I dive into more tonight!!!! WIsh me luck.

OP
Trisolarian

Trisolarian

MetaMember
Jul 12, 2019
Three to discuss!

Night of the Consumers! $1.93

Mix PSX style graphics, the suffering of the hourly retail worker, Dawn of the Dead and Eggs for Bart and BAM!

No gore, no blood and no death. This doesn't imply that the game is a stress free experience. Oh no. You're on the clock, CONSTANTLY, and expect frequent, jump scare like interruptions from the 'CONSUMERS'

Now I love the concept. Did I like playing it? Not really. This type of game isn't my Jam but don't let that stop you from tossing a few bucks the devs way and trying it out. It may be worthy for you, watch a YT play through.

(Note: I got this game in the "Bundle for Racial Justice" Itch.io offered in June)

No Delivery $5.

Blood, gore and death! A Rogue-Like, Pixel Art, JRPG and vaguely 'FNAF' themed game. And one of the better one's I've played this Halloween! The gameplay is in two phases. The first phase is working your hellish but fairly normal and non supernatural day job at the Pizzeria. You're presented with a number of 'challenges', which are mini 'choose the best path' multiple choice questions. You can either gain or lose HP or money. After your shift, you go around and clean up after the hoards of children that ran through the establishment. Collect trash, buy food, earn money the usual. At a certain point, you make a 'WRONG TURN' and this leads into the dungeon portion of the game. Here, the game moves to a side scrolling, left to right perspective and navigate randomly generated rooms in a desperate bid to survive the rest of your shift. Combat is brutally difficult JRPG style, with your attacks weak and your character in dire need of an aim-bot. Survive and you earn a stat upgrade and complete that dungeon.

This is a keeper and I'll be diving in again. Worthy.

Buddy Simulator 1984 DEMO Free

Buddy simulator is a upcoming horror/text/adventure game. Its 1984 and your one of the first to get your hands on a piece of software called 'The Buddy Simulator'. The game starts innocently, first as a crude 'Turing Test' kind of program from the 80s, then it warps into a horror text adventure.... All along the rapidly growing 'Buddy' doesn't have bad intentions, just the uncomfortable outcome of some non human intelligence trying to emulate us.

Its a short demo, 20-30 minutes and the full game releases in Dec. Worthy.

OP
Trisolarian

Trisolarian

MetaMember
Jul 12, 2019
Been a week, lol.

Anyway, two paid but less than $5 games that bring the cute halloween atmosphere!

Haunt the House Terrortown!

A personal favorite when it comes that warm and cuddly Halloween that scaredy-cats love!

Its a 2-D (with fantastic artwork) scar-em up! You play as a ghost and your goal is to scare everyone out of the level. You do this through 'possessing' various objects in the game, from lamps to giant whale skeletons. The challenge comes from using a variety of tactics, as these 'scarees' are tough and cyncial customers. Worthy and adorable.

Halloween Forever

A 'lost' 8 bit game. You play as a Pumpkinhead dude, shooting candy corn from your mouth to defeat stock 'horror' enemies. The levels are lifted straight out of the 80s, complete with secrets, boss battles, pits, spikes.... you get the idea. Charming graphics, tight gameplay and better than expected chiptunes make this a lowkey and low effort way to waste a half an hour. Worthy

I've got more coming. Life is hard but Halloween will never DIE!

Aelphaeis Mangarae

MetaMember
Apr 21, 2019
Total Chaos is a completely free Doom II total conversion. I remember making a thread about it on here a year or so back. The developer released a Director's Cut version recently.

The White Chamber is a freeware point and click horror title from 2005. It was one of the first indie titles I ever played. It's not exactly bone chilling horror, but it is pretty disturbing. There was going to be an HD remaster, which was announced back in 2014, but that was evidently cancelled long ago, and Richard Perrin works for Splash Damage now.